Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mojave National Preserve  (Read 2741 times)

scottdp17

Mojave National Preserve
« on: March 22, 2007, 02:23:33 pm »

Hello all,
  My wife and are planning on visiting Mojave National Preserve one weekend in April (probably leaving Los Angeles Thursday night and leaving Mojave NP on Sunday).  I would like any suggestiongs on Sunrise/Sunset locations and various places to visit and photograph.  I would definitly like to visit the dunes,  Cima Dome and other volcanic features.  I was tentitivly planning on driving in on the 15 or 40 and then returning the other way.  Places to camp are also welcome.  Thanks for all your help,
Scott

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
Mojave National Preserve
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2007, 03:05:06 pm »

If you haven't been yet, this might be of use to you:

http://www.nps.gov/moja/planyourvisit/-hiking.htm

Mike.  

P.S.  I was reading an article recently on Banshee Canyon.  Looks like an interesting place to visit...
If your mind is attuned t

pluton

Mojave National Preserve
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2007, 03:39:40 am »

I would definitly like to visit the dunes,  Cima Dome and other volcanic features.  I was tentitivly planning on driving in on the 15 or 40 and then returning the other way.  Places to camp are also welcome.  Thanks for all your help,
Scott
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=108115\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Places to camp:  Official campgrounds at MidHills, Hole In The Rock: Both good, Mid Hills higher alt. thus cooler, partially burnt through by fire but some nice pinyon-juniper surrounded campsites remain.
Less official, old BLM sites: Sunrise Rock: across the street from the Cima Dome/Teutonia Peak hiking trail(convenient, nice), Kelso Dunes: west of the main parking area(.5-1.0 mile?) for the dunes is a nice tree shaded site, still fairly close to the dunes.  All easily accessable w/ normal car.  Many more options for those w/ 4WD, including the Cinder Cones area, but beware of sandy spots along dirt roads if 2WD.   A good CA state atlas(Benchmark, DeLorme) has most of the 4WD roads. The single sheet park map by Tom harrison Cartography has a few more of the old BLM campgrounds marked.  Cheers. -KB-
Pages: [1]   Go Up