Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Problem with my new Epson 3800  (Read 11724 times)

Bill Koenig

Problem with my new Epson 3800
« on: March 22, 2007, 01:29:18 pm »

Last night I made my first prints on my Epson 3800. After getting the settings right, the prints were starting to look great. But, theres a problem with the last 1.25 inch of the print. I'm seeing banding in this area, and it starts getting a little fuzzy as well. This can clearly be seen on the white margins in the corners. The last print I made was set to 2880 the banding was much finer, but white margins in the corners were very fuzzy (grainy) and started to shift to one side. To rest of the print looks great, and the margins are very sharp.
I was using Epson Premium Glossy Photo Paper, 8.5 x 11,and auto feed. The margins were set at 1/8 inch on all sides.
Could this be a head strike?
I also see what looks like little dotted lines the length of the paper, some look like 2 rows with a small space in between, this appears to be on the surface of the paper, in dark areas they look more like a white scratch. Could this be caused by the paper feed?
Being very new to this printer, its likely I'm doing something wrong. Any ideas or suggestions?
Bill Koenig,

ddolde

« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2007, 01:47:28 pm »

Try setting the Platen Gap one notch wider.  It solved some similar end of sheet problems for me with Silver Rag.

neil snape

• http://www.neilsnape.com
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2007, 01:52:11 pm »

Sounds like you could lower the platen height for this paper. The fades on the trailing edge are simply the release of the paper. It is easy to fix by changing the settings per media.

Bill Koenig

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2007, 02:11:54 pm »

Sounds like you could lower the platen height for this paper. The fades on the trailing edge are simply the release of the paper. It is easy to fix by changing the settings per media.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=108109\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Neil,

Which settings are you referring to?
Bill Koenig,

madmanchan

• Web
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2007, 03:59:37 pm »

The Platen Gap.

In the Printer Driver settings, click the Advanced button. Then click the Paper Config button. Then try changing the Platen Gap setting from Auto to Wide.

Eric
Eric Chan

Bill Koenig

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2007, 04:21:03 pm »

The Platen Gap.

In the Printer Driver settings, click the Advanced button. Then click the Paper Config button. Then try changing the Platen Gap setting from Auto to Wide.

Eric
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=108131\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks Eric, I'll give it a try to night.
Bill Koenig,

Bill Koenig

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2007, 10:56:31 am »

Thanks Eric, I'll give it a try to night.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=108138\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Eric,

In regards to the Platen Gap setting. What I'm finding so far with Epson Premium Photo Paper Glossy 8.5 x 11 is that if I don't use the widest Platen Gap setting, I'm getting some head strikes as well as banding in dark areas only on the last 1.5 inch of the print, the rest of the print looks great, I don't think I could use the normal platen gap setting at all for any paper. Also, I'm using the auto paper feed, so far this is the only feed I've used.
And, as you reported, I printed on Epson Enhanced Matte Paper and forgot to set the Platen gap to widest, and had really bad head strikes about a inch from the end of the print, that scratched the coating of the paper, leaving white lines in a few places, these were in areas of dark shadows where a lot ink had been layed down. So far, I haven't printed much on Mat.
I've only had the 3800 a week, maybe I'll try the other feeds to see if there is any difference.
Has anyone else reported problems with PPPG paper and the platen gap settings? And what would be the down side of using the widest platen Gap setting on everything? It doesn't seem normal to have to use the widest setting. Is there anything else that could be causing this problem that I may have over looked?
Bill Koenig,

madmanchan

• Web
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2007, 02:55:58 pm »

Hi Bill,

I haven't yet had the need to set the Platen Gap to the Widest setting. For all of my prints so far, I set the PG to Wide. To be honest, however, I've only produced a handful of prints that go to the edge of the paper. (12x18 images on 13x19 sheets of VFA, none of which led to head strikes)

What is the condition of your paper before you feed it? Is it curled slightly? If possible, try to flatten it out a bit before feeding.

Early tests by Giorgio Trucco show that there doesn't appear to be a visible difference due to the PG setting. Nonetheless, I agree it does seem odd to have to set the PG to Widest even for normal, non-thick papers. According to Epson, these are the corresponding PG setting and physical distances:

Narrow   0.9 mm
Standard   1.2 mm
Wide   1.5 mm
Wider   2.1 mm
Widest   3.5 mm

So when you set Widest, the print head is 3.5 mm above the surface of the paper.
Eric Chan

Bill Koenig

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2007, 04:49:37 pm »

Hi Bill,

I haven't yet had the need to set the Platen Gap to the Widest setting. For all of my prints so far, I set the PG to Wide. To be honest, however, I've only produced a handful of prints that go to the edge of the paper. (12x18 images on 13x19 sheets of VFA, none of which led to head strikes)

What is the condition of your paper before you feed it? Is it curled slightly? If possible, try to flatten it out a bit before feeding.

Early tests by Giorgio Trucco show that there doesn't appear to be a visible difference due to the PG setting. Nonetheless, I agree it does seem odd to have to set the PG to Widest even for normal, non-thick papers. According to Epson, these are the corresponding PG setting and physical distances:

Narrow   0.9 mm
Standard   1.2 mm
Wide   1.5 mm
Wider   2.1 mm
Widest   3.5 mm

So when you set Widest, the print head is 3.5 mm above the surface of the paper.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=109426\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hi Eric,

The paper is all cut sheets and is very flat. I leave a 1/8 to 1/4 boarder on my prints, the problem area is about 0.375 inches wide and starts 1.5 inches from the end of the print. This banded (area/strip) reflects light differently than the rest of the print surface, this may be a head strike, and not banding at all (don't forget, I'm new at this). What I belive is head strike (someone posted pictures of it) will leave very dark ink on the white border, not very much on the print, and when this happens the printer makes a different sound as the print head moves back and forth, possibly caused by print head / paper contact.
One other thing that I haven't mentioned before. When I made my first prints with the Platen Gap set to normal, as the print head moves back and forth the printer makes sort of a bang at each end of its travel. When I set the Platen Gap wider, this banging noise goes away and the printer is noticeably quieter / smoother.
Is this banging noise normal? Or the fact that the sound changes as I change the Platen Gap setting?
The fact that this is my first printer, I didn't think much about it, but now I'm starting to wonder if in fact there's something wrong with it.
To night I will experiment with different PG settings and report back.
Bill Koenig,

madmanchan

• Web
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2007, 07:32:07 pm »

Bill, thanks for the more detailed report. The 'banging' you describe is some cause for concern. It is possible that the print head is colliding with the side walls of the printer -- not supposed to happen. Another user has reported (in another forum) that this happened to him, and he called Epson Support, held his phone close to his printer while it was making the banging sound so that the Epson service rep could hear it, and the service rep said that was bad and to exchange it.

The sound really shouldn't change as you change the Platen Gap. Does this happen with all papers you've tried so far? (or have you only tried one type of paper?)
Eric Chan

Bill Koenig

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2007, 10:49:22 am »

Bill, thanks for the more detailed report. The 'banging' you describe is some cause for concern. It is possible that the print head is colliding with the side walls of the printer -- not supposed to happen. Another user has reported (in another forum) that this happened to him, and he called Epson Support, held his phone close to his printer while it was making the banging sound so that the Epson service rep could hear it, and the service rep said that was bad and to exchange it.

The sound really shouldn't change as you change the Platen Gap. Does this happen with all papers you've tried so far? (or have you only tried one type of paper?)
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=109496\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Eric,

This is what I've found last night. With the Platen gap set to normal, the printer makes a distinct banging or knocking noise, (if you made a fist and hit your desk from say 3 inches softly) and you can feel the vibrations if you put your hand on the printer.
If I then set the PG to its widest setting there is little if any noise, maybe a very light clicking sound at most. Also, at this wide setting I'm not seeing any head strikes, but at the normal setting the last 1.5 inches of the print has lines (banding / head strikes?) This noise varies with the Platen Gap setting ( I didn't even try the narrow setting)
In regards to paper, I've only used the following.
Premium Glossy Photo Paper,  90%
Premium Luster Photo Paper, 5%
Enhanced Matte Paper, 5%
One thing I must say, aside from the area of the head strikes / banding, the prints look great.
Do you have a link to the report from the other forum?
I'll be giving Epson a call after work, I'll report back what they have to say.
Bill Koenig,

NikosR

• http://
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2007, 11:55:25 am »

Hi,

Just wanted to say that this problem sounds very much like a defective printer to me.

I've had my 3800 for some months now, and the only time I had a very small ink smear just at the edge of the paper is when I forgot to adjust the platten gap to wide (not widest) for Photo Rag 308. A paper much thicker than Enh. Matte or any Glossy. And that was just a smear not a real head strike.

I've printed on Enhanced Matte and various Epson and third party glossies with no issue whatsoever. Also on Velvet Fine Art, Ultrasmooth and Hahn. Fine Art pearl.

Just a silly thought. Have you made sure you have removed ALL packing tape from the printer's innards. There sure was a lot of sticky tape in various 'hidden' places when I unpacked mine.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2007, 11:59:12 am by NikosR »
Nikos

Bill Koenig

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2007, 12:22:41 pm »

Hi,

Just wanted to say that this problem sounds very much like a defective printer to me.

I've had my 3800 for some months now, and the only time I had a very small ink smear just at the edge of the paper is when I forgot to adjust the platten gap to wide (not widest) for Photo Rag 308. A paper much thicker than Enh. Matte or any Glossy. And that was just a smear not a real head strike.

I've printed on Enhanced Matte and various Epson and third party glossies with no issue whatsoever. Also on Velvet Fine Art, Ultrasmooth and Hahn. Fine Art pearl.
Just a silly thought. Have you made sure you have removed ALL packing tape from the printer's innards. There sure was a lot of sticky tape in various 'hidden' places when I unpacked mine.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=109664\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

NikosR,

Thanks for the reply. I pretty sure I got all of the tape, but I will check just to be sure. What kinds of sounds do you hear when your printing? When I have the Platen Gap set to its widest setting on my printer, its very smooth, and quiet, but when set to normal, I can hear it banging when I'm in the next room.
Bill Koenig,

madmanchan

• Web
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2007, 12:40:09 pm »

Bill, I'll update the opinion I offered earlier: there is definitely something wrong with the printer. I would call Epson Support right away. (They were very helpful when I spoke to them on the phone.) Once they agree there's an issue, they'll FedEx you a new printer, which should arrive within 2 days.
Eric Chan

Bill Koenig

« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2007, 06:41:20 pm »

Bill, I'll update the opinion I offered earlier: there is definitely something wrong with the printer. I would call Epson Support right away. (They were very helpful when I spoke to them on the phone.) Once they agree there's an issue, they'll FedEx you a new printer, which should arrive within 2 days.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=109670\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I just talked to  Epson, the person I talked to had me print out a "printer status sheet" with out even holding the phone next to the printer, he said, there is something wrong with the printer, it doesn't sound right.
So there going to exchange it for a BRAND NEW in the box, full set of ink's printer that will ship Monday Fed X, should be here by Wednesday. There also sending a shipping tag, to send the old printer back.
I asked if I could continue to print on the old printer until the new one gets here, he said, go ahead and print as much as you like.
Wow, that's costumer service.

Thanks everyone.  
Bill Koenig,

lionello

• Camera Art Limited
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2007, 09:57:39 am »

When I started my 3800 printer, it made an awful noise. When I looked inside,
the print head had ripped out some of the plastic trays, (with foam in them),
from the bottom of the printer. It still prints, (after I removed the parts jammed up in the left end of the machine), but I wonder what those trays are for. I'm onto Epson about this.
Has anyone had this problem?
I would also like a list of parts for this printer, or the URL to find it.

BTW the prints are amazing![attachment=2346:attachment][attachment=2347:attachment]
Lionel

neil snape

• http://www.neilsnape.com
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2007, 11:00:56 am »

from the bottom of the printer. It still prints, (after I removed the parts jammed up in the left end of the machine), but I wonder what those trays are for. I'm onto Epson about this.

BTW the prints are amazing![attachment=2346:attachment][attachment=2347:attachment]
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=113774\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Ouch, those are the pads for borderless printing. You'll be able to print borderless without them but it will make a mess inside the printer.

madmanchan

• Web
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2007, 11:03:31 am »

I had not previously heard of this problem. I would definitely follow up with Epson.
Eric Chan

Jess Ames

« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2007, 11:48:32 pm »

I recently purchased the 3800, and to my dismay I'm not pleased with some of the issues.  First out of the box after aligning and reading forums and making sure i didnt mess anything up, I printed on the 8.5x11 luster paper.  I set this up as borderless print at 1440 res high speed.  Picture came out great but the last 1" - the print faded as if the printer started fading out.

Tried it again using different software but same driver.
Borderless and standard on:
8.5x11
13x19
17x22

All prints the last 1" is faded and fubar - everything else looks fine.  I have played with the Platen Gap setting it to Wider and Wide and Normal.  No difference.  The last test I ran was on the 17x22 Paper and to my dismay I started hearing the knocking.  After the print was done I inspected the (don't kow the proper part) print head carriage (plastic piece clear covered movable thingy).  Anyway didnt meant to get too technical there, but it clearly had worn away on another portion of the printer case.  It was white or silver powder or paint.

Printer is 2 days old....  Anyway it looks like I'm going to contact Epson tomorrow and discuss my options.  I guess you do get what you pay for and maybe I should have sprung for the 4800 and delt with those issues.

I'm open to suggestions, as it appears the originator of this thread had similar issues.

17x22 was using Premium Semimatte Photo Paper at Wide Platen Gap - Borderless.

Jess Ames

« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2007, 11:54:29 pm »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=113774\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

On my last run of the 17x22 on my 3800 i notice a small piece of black foam... I thought nothing of it until i read this.  It appears to be from the parts in your picture.   This was also the print that I got knocking on too.  I have not printed anything else since the knocking...
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up