Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mamiya ZD back v Leav v Phase  (Read 7387 times)

andybuk99

Mamiya ZD back v Leav v Phase
« on: March 22, 2007, 02:58:53 am »

So it seems the ZD back is due for launch at some point soon(?), so the inevitable question is now asked. How will it rate against its Leaf/Phase equivalents? I mean the price is on the ZD'z side but how will the image quality compare?

mcfoto

• http://montalbetticampbell.com
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2007, 03:29:14 am »

Hi
As I use both the ZD & Aptus 22 plus I don't think that the ZD back is much different to the ZD? If you shoot at iso 50-100 by the time you finish the image in PS I don't think you will tell the difference between the Aptus22 & the ZD. However on buffer rate & software the Aptus 22 is superior. Personally I don't think the screens on either are great but at least you can read the ZD screen outside. Now if you go to higher isos the Aptus 22 is better. I cannot comment for Phase as I haven't used it. For me the buffer rate is the biggest issue with the ZD.
Denis
Denis Montalbetti
Montalbetti+Campbell [

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2007, 03:33:35 am »

Hi
As I use both the ZD & Aptus 22 plus I don't think that the ZD back is much different to the ZD? If you shoot at iso 50-100 by the time you finish the image in PS I don't think you will tell the difference between the Aptus22 & the ZD. However on buffer rate & software the Aptus 22 is superior. Personally I don't think the screens on either are great but at least you can read the ZD screen outside. Now if you go to higher isos the Aptus 22 is better. I cannot comment for Phase as I haven't used it. For me the buffer rate is the biggest issue with the ZD.
Denis
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=108022\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

When image quality is virtually the same I cannot imagine other back vendors not dropping their prices. At least to a level where the gap is not that big anymore between themselves and the ZD. Otherwise they will be loosing too much to people that go with the ZD.

Maybe this is even a good development as a lower price might also attract people that otherwise would have stayed or gone with the likes of Canon (1DSMkIIIIIIetc..)

andybuk99

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2007, 03:37:39 am »

For me I don't shoot masses and masses of images as it is all studio based set-ups so the software/buffer rate/iso is not an issue really. It will be interesting to see if any price drops are announced soon for Leaf/Phase though.

yaya

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2007, 03:42:11 am »

For studio - still life I'd compare shadow/ highlight detail and transitions. I'd also look at long-ish exposures and the quality of Live Video functionality, if available.

As suggested many times before, a side-by-side test will answer all your questions.

Yair

paul_jones

• http://www.paulrossjones.com
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2007, 04:10:29 am »

Hi
Denis
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=108022\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

hi denis, what is the zd finder like compared with the afd? is larger and/brighter? i find the afd finder a little dark.

paul
check my new website
[url=http://www.pau

mcfoto

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2007, 04:36:43 am »

Quote from: paul_jones,Mar 22 2007, 03:10 AM
hi denis, what is the zd finder like compared with the afd? is larger and/brighter? i find the afd finder a little dark.

paul

Hi
I haven't really compared them. By the way I use RAW processor for the ZD & Leaf for the Aptus 22. Using RAW developer for the ZD made all the difference in file quality. I think the ZD is faster than the AFDII/Aptus22 in shooting rate before the buffer kicks in. For me they have both there place. The ZD has really taken over from my Canon 5D for stock & personal work. I also find the AF better on the ZD than the AFDII. Maby the next generation of the ZD will have a better screen, software & buffer rate. You have to remember this is a small market compared to what MF used to be like. What I do enjoy is that my lenses will work with either the ZD or Leaf & if if wanted to rent Sinar or Phase I could.
Denis
Denis Montalbetti
Montalbetti+Campbell [

michael

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2007, 05:08:52 am »

I have been testing the ZD cameras and my review will be online early next week. The back should be essentially identical in image quality.

The bottom line on IQ is that it's excellent at ISO's up to 100.

Michael
« Last Edit: March 22, 2007, 05:09:14 am by michael »

Christopher

• http://www.hauser-photoart.com
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2007, 05:14:07 am »

I have been testing the ZD cameras and my review will be online early next week. The back should be essentially identical in image quality.

The bottom line on IQ is that it's excellent at ISO's up to 100.

Michael
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=108034\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Autsch, I mean isn't 100 a litttttle low ;-) I know you can go higher, but from your comment I say it will be not excellent any more ;-)
Christopher Hauser
[email=chris@hauser-p

michael

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2007, 09:28:22 am »

I don't know of any backs that don't lose quality above 100. The P45 is usable at 200, but not as good as I would like.

I'd say that the ZD is one stop "less good" than the Phase backs above 100, but a quibble difference at 100 or below, at least in terms of overall IQ.

Michael

Mort54

• http://
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2007, 09:56:00 am »

At the risk of stating the obvious, the ZD, the ZD back, the upcoming Pentax MF, and the upcoming 1DsIII are all great news for the MF buyer.

At a minimum, the Phase, Sinar, Leaf, and Hassy resellers are going to be feeling the competition and will likely be more willing to give the buyer a better deal. But beyond that, choice is always good for the buyer and many will probably be quite well served by the "affordable" ZD and Pentax offerings.

Hans.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2007, 09:59:47 am by Mort54 »
I Reject Your Reality And Substitute My

ivan muller

• Ivan Muller
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2007, 10:28:25 am »

hi
A bit off the topic, but I really think its in our (photographers) best interests that we have a choice regarding medium format backs and cameras. Life will be very difficult and expensive if only one system would remain. Competition is good. If Mamiyas only purpose is to bring the prices down and the quality up of the of the other systems,everybody benefits. Mamiyas ultimate quality 'might' not be as good as the competition but their pricing structure sure has given poorer folk like me a chance to have a taste of the good life! Therefore the occasional mamiya(and other systems) bashing found here serves no purpose. Will be most interesting to see Michaels comments. I for one have found the noisier ISO very nice, almost film like and I would hate if technology advanced so much that noise disappeared altogether.
thanks Ivan

stefan marquardt

• http://www.stefanmarquardt-architekturbild.de
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2007, 10:47:47 am »

let´s not forget: there are a lot of fields in photography, where any iso over 50 is never ever necessary or needed. I dont remember ever using anthing over 100 iso (for professional work).
before i got the ZD i had my doubts about its noise levels on longer (then a few seconds) becouse of the sample I saw posted. But after having worked with the ZD for 3 month now, I have to say, that I never saw any noise in any of the files (even WELL exposed testfiles over 100 iso are fine and only show some very nice grain).
I just uploaded a few photos for a client
(http://www.stefanmarquardt-architekturbild.de/mobelfotografie_neu/mobelfotografie_neu.html) - they were all taken with the ZD and some of them under quite dark conditions - no problems at all.

stefan
stefan marquardt
stefanmarquardt.de arch

jimgolden

« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2007, 12:53:17 pm »

stefan

any chance you could upload a raw file of one of these shots? or an outtake?
I'd love to be able to work with one.

the furniture imagery on your site is exquisite.

thx
jim

stefan marquardt

• http://www.stefanmarquardt-architekturbild.de
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2007, 04:41:59 pm »

stefan

any chance you could upload a raw file of one of these shots? or an outtake?
I'd love to be able to work with one.

the furniture imagery on your site is exquisite.

thx
jim
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=108091\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

hi Jim,
I am just about to leave for a job - I will try to upload a raw file when I am back on monday. (thanks for your comment!)

stefan
stefan marquardt
stefanmarquardt.de arch

jimgolden

« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2007, 07:45:06 pm »

hi Jim,
I am just about to leave for a job - I will try to upload a raw file when I am back on monday. (thanks for your comment!)

stefan
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=108141\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

THX!

mcfoto

« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2007, 05:02:37 am »

I don't know of any backs that don't lose quality above 100. The P45 is usable at 200, but not as good as I would like.

I'd say that the ZD is one stop "less good" than the Phase backs above 100, but a quibble difference at 100 or below, at least in terms of overall IQ.

Michael
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=108059\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hi Michael
I think you are right on about the ZD. The ideal iso range is iso 50-100 and since I shoot that way the ZD works for me. For all my studio shooting 90% is at iso 50. How much more does it cost to buy an Aptus 22 using the same Dalsa chip or Sinar Emotion 22? But you have to use the RAW processor & I don't know how you have experienced Adobe Raw in CS2? For me the ZD is like having a larger SLR but just as light in weight & sadly my 5D collects dust.
Denis
Denis Montalbetti
Montalbetti+Campbell [
Pages: [1]   Go Up