Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Incorrect colors after importing a RAW image in LR  (Read 3496 times)

jodvova

Incorrect colors after importing a RAW image in LR
« on: March 21, 2007, 04:41:43 pm »

I shoot in RAW mode using Canon EOS 400D.

After importing RAW images into LR, EVERY image I shot gets oversaturated with green-yellow colors. If I open same image in C1 Pro colors look fine.
If I change shooting mode on my camera to JPG (using sRGB color space) and import image into LR, colors look same as on RAW image in C1 Pro. All settings in LR and C1 Pro are set to default.

My guess is that LR applies wrong (camera?) profile when it imports a RAW image. I don't think it's a difference in RAW converters, because the difference in colors is really huge.

In the Camera Calibration panel I see ACR 3.6 profile selected and all settings are set to 0. Using sliders I can correct colors on image, but I failed to make a generic preset that could be applied on all imported RAW images.

My monitor (Samsung 940BF) is setup to use manufacturer ICC profile.  I tried to change it to sRGB or Adobe RGB, it doesn't help. I'm running Windows XP SP2.

Any thoughts on how to return colors back to normal?

Here are 2 examples of the same image converted by:

1. LR

2. C1 Pro

« Last Edit: March 21, 2007, 04:43:03 pm by jodvova »

61Dynamic

• http://
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2007, 06:58:00 pm »

I don't think it's a difference in RAW converters, because the difference in colors is really huge.

It absolutely is a difference in raw converters. I have the same issue with my 300D. Colors in C1 are jim-dandy but in ACR they have always been problematic. This is an issue in manufacturing tolerances for the camera. One batch may result in one interpretation of color and another batch may have a different interpretation. What is happening with both our cameras is Tomas Knoll calibrated cameras which behave differently than ours and so ACRs built in profile looks off to us. Phase one calibrated a camera that is like ours and so their program looks fine. Additionally, my camera also looks whacked out in RSE but fine in Bibble.

Jpeg shooting looks fine because it's Canon and they are aware of any differences during manufacturing allowing them to correct things accordingly for jpeg processing before shipping the camera.

Such is the life of a photographer using a low-end camera.

The solution is to build a profile as outlined in this tutorial by Bruce Fraser: http://www.creativepro.com/story/howto/21351.html

jodvova

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2007, 07:09:52 pm »

It absolutely is a difference in raw converters. I have the same issue with my 300D. Colors in C1 are jim-dandy but in ACR they have always been problematic. This is an issue in manufacturing tolerances for the camera. One batch may result in one interpretation of color and another batch may have a different interpretation. What is happening with both our cameras is Tomas Knoll calibrated cameras which behave differently than ours and so ACRs built in profile looks off to us. Phase one calibrated a camera that is like ours and so their program looks fine. Additionally, my camera also looks whacked out in RSE but fine in Bibble.

Jpeg shooting looks fine because it's Canon and they are aware of any differences during manufacturing allowing them to correct things accordingly for jpeg processing before shipping the camera.

Such is the life of a photographer using a low-end camera.

Oh man Thanks a lot!! Finally somebody explained that to me.

The solution is to build a profile as outlined in this tutorial by Bruce Fraser: http://www.creativepro.com/story/howto/21351.html
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=107962\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Have you built it? Are you using it in LR?

61Dynamic

• http://
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2007, 09:17:47 pm »

Oh man Thanks a lot!! Finally somebody explained that to me.
Have you built it? Are you using it in LR?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=107967\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yeah, I've built it for my camera and it works in LR (same raw conversion engine). It's a bit of a pain in the back end and you may have to give it a couple tries before getting it right but it'll do the trick.

There is an automated script called ACR Calibrator but unfortunately it has not been updated for a while and it still needs some tweaking after the fact anyway. Just follow the steps in that article and you'll be golden.

Oh, I should note that you never will get a perfect match with C1 or the Jpegs for a variety of reasons but you can get close. Don't be afraid to deviate a bit from what's technically correct if it means you'll better match the appearance you prefer.

Sid EOS

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2007, 10:20:59 pm »

If you want to you could also look at "Camera Calibration - Fors script"

In the FAQ at LightroomExtra.com

FAQ Set up questions page

Sid Jervis

SteveBlack

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2007, 01:05:41 am »

A question along similar lines - I've got a number of photos that I previously imported in Camera Raw (CS2 version), made initial adjustments, and then converted to DNG prior to bringing in to lightroom.  I was happy with the colors at that point (I'll do some additional processing on items to be printed, but for a number of the files, I won't touch them unless i'm going to print in the future).

The problem I'm having is that Lightroom is applying default settings on top of the changes I made to the DNGs in Camera Raw.  So as I scroll through the various thumbnails in Library view, I click on an image (that initially looks like I think it should), and then it changes to some washed-out version, based on the default settings in lightroom.

Is there a way to turn this off???

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Steve

SteveBlack

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2007, 10:27:09 am »

After doing a little more research this AM - my thought is that Lightroom had the updated version of ACR (3.7), and I was running an older version from Bridge, so applying camera raw defaults in Bridge resulted in a different set of adjustments than the defaults automatically in Lightroom...

I guess my overall questions are as follows:

1. Is my assessment above corrrect?  And once I upgrade the current version of ACR in bridge to 3.7, will the issue go away when using default settings in bridge?  (e.g., images in LR won't change upon import)

2. If I apply settings in bridge, is there a way to keep lightroom from over-riding and applying its default settings?

3. Should the default adjustements in Lightroom mirror the "default" in ACR, or the "auto" in ACR?  After installing the ACR update, There are toggle buttons in ACR between the two.  My initial assessment is that the "auto" settings in ACR opened through bridge look to be the same as the default settings applied to an image in LR.  Then again, I only did a quick review.  

Once I create a default profile for my camera, I think much of this issue may be resolved, but just wanted to understand how and why things are working currently and figured some of you folks may have a better understanding.

Thanks again for the help!

Steve
Pages: [1]   Go Up