Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to profile a Sony UPDR-150 Dye Sub  (Read 6370 times)

convergent

How to profile a Sony UPDR-150 Dye Sub
« on: March 21, 2007, 12:52:35 pm »

I have a couple of Sony UPDR150 printers that I use for event onsite printing.  I'd like to profile them, but the MonocoEZColor software I'm using prints an 8x10 calibration target so I obviously can't print this from a 5x7 printer.  Any idea how to get this profiled?

Ed Foster, Jr.

• http://www.edfoster.net
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2007, 01:49:41 pm »

I have a couple of Sony UPDR150 printers that I use for event onsite printing.  I'd like to profile them, but the MonocoEZColor software I'm using prints an 8x10 calibration target so I obviously can't print this from a 5x7 printer.  Any idea how to get this profiled?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=107893\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I don't believe that product will allow you to scale or create a 5 x 7 test chart.  I have created 5 x 7 targets in the past for that same printer and it does profile nicely.  However, your software would have to allow custom target sizes.

Good Luck,
Ed
Ed Foster, Jr.
[url=http://www.edfoster.

Greg_E

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2007, 02:52:53 pm »

You might be able to split the target across two pages.

Wait a second, doesn't EZColor only use the top half for the target? The entire bottom half is for the reference IT8 target. Print out only the EZColor half on the Sony, and then arrange them properly on the scanner.

convergent

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2007, 03:18:30 pm »

You might be able to split the target across two pages.

Wait a second, doesn't EZColor only use the top half for the target? The entire bottom half is for the reference IT8 target. Print out only the EZColor half on the Sony, and then arrange them properly on the scanner.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=107914\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Ah, so you are saying to send it to a file... then photoshop out the bottom half and print it that way.  That might work but would be a bit of a pain.  Better than not doing it though.

convergent

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2007, 03:19:58 pm »

I don't believe that product will allow you to scale or create a 5 x 7 test chart.  I have created 5 x 7 targets in the past for that same printer and it does profile nicely.  However, your software would have to allow custom target sizes.

Good Luck,
Ed
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=107903\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

What do you use?  I have a bit of a kludge right now... using Spyder2 for profiling my monitors and MonacoEZColor for my scanner and printers... I should really upgrade to something more robust that will do the whole thing.

Greg_E

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2007, 03:31:53 pm »

Yes, send it to a file and crop away the unneeded portions. The other way would be to get a custom profile made or buy the more advanced profile creation hardware/software.

I'm seeing about 5 pages for a 729 patch target, and about 10 pages for the 1728 patch target measured with a DTP20 and similar page counts measured with an i1.

Ed Foster, Jr.

• http://www.edfoster.net
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2007, 06:17:50 pm »

What do you use?  I have a bit of a kludge right now... using Spyder2 for profiling my monitors and MonacoEZColor for my scanner and printers... I should really upgrade to something more robust that will do the whole thing.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=107927\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I use Profile Maker Pro with the Eye-One Instrument and sometimes an older X-Rite DTP 41.  If you are thinking of an in house solution, the Eye-One Photo package would probably serve your needs well.  You would probably need to download Gretag MacBeth's Measure Tool or X-Rite's Color Port for target generation of the size you need.  This will certainly give you better results than a scanner based solution.  The Sony dye sub printers profile really well and you don't need targets with more than 918 patches, if that.  HOWEVER, if you only need to make profiles for the Sony's and, say, even one other printer, you might have someone make a few GOOD profiles for you - it would be a lot less expensive in terms of cost and time.   I would suggest Andrew Rodney who I am sure can generate the targets at the size you need.

Regards,
Ed
Ed Foster, Jr.
[url=http://www.edfoster.
Pages: [1]   Go Up