Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Gitzo CF Tripod choices  (Read 9811 times)

Khurram

Gitzo CF Tripod choices
« on: March 19, 2007, 11:03:34 am »

I'm finally ready to upgrade my 1228 tripod for most likely the 1348.  I considered the 1325, however, I need something that will allow me to get lower to the ground, and I believe that the 1348 goes to around 4.5".

Before making the purchase, I just wanted to get some advice on whether the 1348 is my best option as I have seen some 3xxx tripods on the bogen website, which I am unfamiliar with..  My needs are as follows:
-Must be Carbon fiber.
-Get closest to ground level as possible.
-Relatively compact (probably not as much as my 1228) when closed, so it can fit into carry-on and is easier to carry when backpacking.
-Lightest possible weight (again, I realize that it won't be as light as the 1228).
-As rigid as possible considdering my other preferences (has to be more rigid then my current 1228).

The other question I have is what is the best option for a centre column?
« Last Edit: March 19, 2007, 11:07:47 am by Khurram »
----
[url=http://www.pbase.com/kssphotog

francois

Gitzo CF Tripod choices
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2007, 11:19:03 am »

I'm finally ready to upgrade my 1228 tripod for most likely the 1348.  I considered the 1325, however, I need something that will allow me to get lower to the ground, and I believe that the 1348 goes to around 4.5".

Before making the purchase, I just wanted to get some advice on whether the 1348 is my best option as I have seen some 3xxx tripods on the bogen website, which I am unfamiliar with..  My needs are as follows:
-Must be Carbon fiber.
-Get closest to ground level as possible.
-Relatively compact (probably not as much as my 1228) when closed, so it can fit into carry-on and is easier to carry when backpacking.
-Lightest possible weight (again, I realize that it won't be as light as the 1228).
-As rigid as possible considdering my other preferences (has to be more rigid then my current 1228).

The other question I have is what is the best option for a centre column?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=107478\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Some thoughts on the 1348:
- The 1348 goes very low and sometimes the base plate touches the ground on uneven terrain.
- The new 3xxx Gitzo are replacement for the "old" 13xx" models.
- The new models are supposedly easier to operate but I haven't tested the 1348 equivalent.
- The 1348 is about 60cm (around 24") when folded, without a ballhead.
- I do not use a center collumn, the 1348 stands really tall.
- The base plate (where legs join the plate) is quite large, around 15cm (6") in diameter.
- It's not a lightweight tripod, especially with a heavy ballhead. I've been doing day hikes with it.

Not sure if this will you?
« Last Edit: March 19, 2007, 11:22:33 am by francois »
Francois

Jack Flesher

• www.getdpi.com
Gitzo CF Tripod choices
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2007, 11:39:06 am »

Don't rule out the relatively new GT-series CF pods -- instead of 13xx, these will be 3xxx.   These use a new, lighter weight CF tubing, making the pod about 1/2 pound lighter than the equivalent 13xx pod, are purportedly even more rigid and carry more weight.  Most important for me however, is they have legs that don't twist, so you now easily lock and unlock a Gitzo leg with just one
hand(!)  Of course they are more expensive than the 13xx series...  

I just picked up a GT-3540XLS and like it a lot.  It is basically a 1325 with a fourth extension leg so it extends much taller than the 1325 (I am 6'-6" tall and this is another great feature for me).  It will go flat to the ground wit the flat plate and no center-column attached.  HOWEVER!  These new pods have a new center column design -- you can remove the column and mount the top plate directly to the column slider tube with the hook for low-level work.  Pretty slick design, but not as rigid as the flat top plate. As for rigidity in the legs, the difference is not noticeable to me, and frankly don't see how this 35 series can carry any more weight than the 13 series, so I suspect that is a more marketing hype than reality.  However, the new style leg locks are not supposed to be over-tightened, and moreover self-tighten as weight is applied, so perhaps this is where Gitzo is justifying the spec for added load capacity.

FWIW,
« Last Edit: March 19, 2007, 11:49:17 am by Jack Flesher »
Jack
[url=http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/

Khurram

Gitzo CF Tripod choices
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2007, 04:52:14 pm »

Francois/Jack,
I apprecaite the information.

I think the 3540 is probably what will meet my needs.  I've checked out Vistek's site and they have a 3540 ($799), 3540LS ($749) and a 3540XLS ($879), however there is no indication on what the differences between these are.  The LS and XLS both say eye level in their description, but other then that it is pretty cryptic as to what the differences are.

Does anyone know what the differences are?  Other tehn the XLS, are the other tripods large enough to use without a centre column?  Is there  options not to use the center column (ie. get a base to use with my BH-55 ballhead)?

My main needs are to be able to get down to (or close to) ground level (which I can with the 1228 with the short centre column) and ideally something low weight and is relatively short when closed.  

My 1228 is around 3.5lb (without the ballhead), so if the new one is a bit more rigid but in the 4.5lb range that would be ok as well.  The 1228 height when closed is around 21.5 inches, which allows me to fit into my carry-on baggage when flying.

How different are the specs of the 3540 tripods?

The other question I have is around bases to replace the centre column.  I have heard people suggest a markins or Kirk base, how much of a difference do these make and is there one in particular that someone could recommend to use with the 3540 and a RRS BH-55 ballhead?
----

Lisa Nikodym

• http://www.stanford.edu/~melkor/lisa_pictures/lisa_pictures.html
Gitzo CF Tripod choices
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2007, 06:18:33 pm »

however there is no indication on what the differences between these are. The LS and XLS both say eye level in their description, but other then that it is pretty cryptic as to what the differences are.

The Gitzo web site itself does a good job of explaining the various models and their differences (at least it did a few years ago when I was choosing a tripod) - if you haven't tried looking there yet, that will probably answer your questions.

Lisa
[url=http://www.stanford.edu/~melkor/lis

Khurram

Gitzo CF Tripod choices
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2007, 10:32:39 pm »

Lisa thanks for the advice to check the Gitzo website.  I checked out the Gitzo website and it looks like the best tripod choice I have is the 3540LS, which is 57" in height fully extended (does not have a centre column), it can also go as low as 3.9".  It also meets my weight requirement, as it only weighs 3.8lbs (vs. 3.5lb weight of my existing 1228 which has a centre column).

What I wanted to know is do i also need to purchase a base?  If so, what are my best options.  I have heard  Kirk and Markins are good.  Does Gitzo or RRS make just any good  bases that would go with a RRS BH-55 head?  

I will be ordering the panning base from RRS, so if RRS does mak,e a good base at least i can combine the shipping costs.  Is there any other base that someone can recommend?  Lastly, just in case I do need to be able to go higher then the 57" maximum height, is there a center column that someone could recommend as well.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2007, 10:34:06 pm by Khurram »
----

aaykay

Gitzo CF Tripod choices
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2007, 11:45:18 pm »

Lisa thanks for the advice to check the Gitzo website.  I checked out the Gitzo website and it looks like the best tripod choice I have is the 3540LS, which is 57" in height fully extended (does not have a centre column), it can also go as low as 3.9".  It also meets my weight requirement, as it only weighs 3.8lbs (vs. 3.5lb weight of my existing 1228 which has a centre column).

Yes, the 3540LS is an excellent choice.  the "S" in the "3540LS" indicates that it is a tripod of the "Systematic" line.  They typically have a wider base than the non-systematics and come with a built-in bubble-level.  Also, the 3540LS should cost $650 and not $750.

The 3540LS specifically, is sized to fit inside carryon luggage, since it is just 21.7" long and fairly light at 3.8lbs.  Incredible, since this is a series-3 Gitzo, capable of taking on around 40lbs.

You can get a replacement base plate with a built-in hook, for the Series-3 and the Series-5 "Systematics", from Kirkphoto.

Khurram

Gitzo CF Tripod choices
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2007, 06:23:08 am »

Yes, the 3540LS is an excellent choice.  the "S" in the "3540LS" indicates that it is a tripod of the "Systematic" line.  They typically have a wider base than the non-systematics and come with a built-in bubble-level.  Also, the 3540LS should cost $650 and not $750.

The 3540LS specifically, is sized to fit inside carryon luggage, since it is just 21.7" long and fairly light at 3.8lbs.  Incredible, since this is a series-3 Gitzo, capable of taking on around 40lbs.

You can get a replacement base plate with a built-in hook, for the Series-3 and the Series-5 "Systematics", from Kirkphoto.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=107626\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The Tripod is $750 in Canada (CDN$) and I believe it is $650USD from Adorama/B&H.  This is actually surprisngly low for Canada (the price differential is usually much higher).  Does anyone have experience with the Kirk base?  I heard good things about Markins bases from other photographers, but I don't see any bases for the 3540LS on their website.
----

francois

Gitzo CF Tripod choices
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2007, 07:25:02 am »

The Tripod is $750 in Canada (CDN$) and I believe it is $650USD from Adorama/B&H.  This is actually surprisngly low for Canada (the price differential is usually much higher).  Does anyone have experience with the Kirk base?  I heard good things about Markins bases from other photographers, but I don't see any bases for the 3540LS on their website.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=107665\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I'm not sure why you would need to purchase a replacement base? Unless it changed with the new versions (3540LS vs 1348), a standard flat no-frill base is included with the tripod.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2007, 07:30:03 am by francois »
Francois

Khurram

Gitzo CF Tripod choices
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2007, 08:03:31 am »

I'm not sure why you would need to purchase a replacement base? Unless it changed with the new versions (3540LS vs 1348), a standard flat no-frill base is included with the tripod.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=107677\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Thanks Francois for letting me know a base should be included.  I will check with Vistek to see if the new model does include a base.  The problem over here is that the Calgary store does not stock most of the tripods they sell and the majority of the staff tends to be not all that knowledgeble of anything they don't keep in stock (they tend to bring in most of the higher end tripods from their Toronto store) and last time I was there they were really trying to push Induru tripods.
----

aaykay

Gitzo CF Tripod choices
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2007, 11:57:13 am »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=107677\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The only reason why I might go for the Kirk base is because the standard base plate in the "systematics" do not come with a hook, which is useful to weigh the tripod down.  It would have been very easy for Gitzo to have attached the hook but they did not !  

I was forced to buy a kirk replacement plate for my 5540LS.

francois

Gitzo CF Tripod choices
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2007, 12:09:18 pm »

The only reason why I might go for the Kirk base is because the standard base plate in the "systematics" do not come with a hook, which is useful to weigh the tripod down.  It would have been very easy for Gitzo to have attached the hook but they did not !  

I was forced to buy a kirk replacement plate for my 5540LS.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=107880\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
A hook or levelling base are worthwhile reasons, of course.
Francois

GerardK

• http://www.kingma.nu
Gitzo CF Tripod choices
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2007, 02:19:02 pm »

What you see here is a Gitzo G1325 carbon fiber tripod with G1318 center column, an Acratech leveling base, a G2270M three way head with a G1385 quick release base plate, to which I've attached a Toyo 45 CF  4x5" view camera.

Result: one bemused cat.

Gerard Kingma
www.kingma.nu

[attachment=2133:attachment]

francois

Gitzo CF Tripod choices
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2007, 06:13:48 am »

What you see here is a Gitzo G1325 carbon fiber tripod with G1318 center column, an Acratech leveling base, a G2270M three way head with a G1385 quick release base plate, to which I've attached a Toyo 45 CF  4x5" view camera.

Result: one bemused cat.
Gerard Kingma
www.kingma.nu
[attachment=2133:attachment]
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=107909\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Gerard,
Superb, but did you try that with a dog?  
Francois

GerardK

• http://www.kingma.nu
Gitzo CF Tripod choices
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2007, 04:45:21 am »

Gerard,
Superb, but did you try that with a dog? 
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Dogs have a way of lifting their hind legs to do their business on expensive CF tripod legs. Shoo, Fluffy!

Gerard Kingma
[a href=\"http://www.kingma.nu]www.kingma.nu[/url]

Mark Graf

• Nature photography by Mark Graf
Gitzo CF Tripod choices
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2007, 01:52:40 pm »

I just picked up a GT-3540XLS and like it a lot.  It is basically a 1325 with a fourth extension leg so it extends much taller than the 1325 (I am 6'-6" tall and this is another great feature for me).

I just got one of these myself, and also have a 1348 - both of which I needed because of my height (6'7").   I tried to resist in spending more money on a tripod, but those darn leg locks on the 1348 simply drove me nuts.   I have had the 3540XLS almost fully extended (with a 500 f4 and converter on it) - which I will probably rarely do. But this particular case allowed me to photograph an owl fairly high up in a tree without stooping over because the camera was tipped up.  A nice plus that will also come in handy shooting on hills, etc.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2007, 01:53:19 pm by Mark Graf »
Mark
http:
Pages: [1]   Go Up