Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: LR Startup Disk Full - How to Solve?  (Read 8968 times)

johnvr

LR Startup Disk Full - How to Solve?
« on: March 19, 2007, 03:32:27 am »

I'm running LR on a laptop with a limited hard drive, but my libraries are located on an external hard drive with 450GB to spare.

When importing several thousand shots, LR indicated my 'startup disk' was full and stopped importing. The laptop's drive is indeed full, but the drive I'm importing to has plenty of space.

I still have thousands of files to import. I can't find any reference in LR on startup disks.

How do I work around this problem?

Sid EOS

« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2007, 08:00:48 am »

You can move the database to the external hdd.

How ?
Close Lightroom, move the library, then double click on it in the new location.

Where is the Library on the Mac or a PC?

Mac = username/Pictures

PC = My Documents\My Pictures

There will be a speed penalty.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2007, 08:01:44 am by Sid EOS »

Sid Jervis

damien

• http://www.lovegroveportraits.com
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2007, 05:38:23 pm »

Is this a good way to store and share libraries amongst several computers?

I use a raid formatted 1Tb firewire 800 external drive. It seems as fast as the startup disks in our G5's. We pass the drive from workstation to workstation as required.

If I park the library and the data on the same drive and put an alias on the desktop, irrespective of whatever computer I open the library on it will be kept up to date. When the drive is nearly full I can start another library on another drive. That will get around the 100,000 file glass ceiling of Lightroom perhaps.

To good to be true?

Damien.

pss

• http://www.schefz.com
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2007, 07:37:12 pm »

Is this a good way to store and share libraries amongst several computers?

I use a raid formatted 1Tb firewire 800 external drive. It seems as fast as the startup disks in our G5's. We pass the drive from workstation to workstation as required.

If I park the library and the data on the same drive and put an alias on the desktop, irrespective of whatever computer I open the library on it will be kept up to date. When the drive is nearly full I can start another library on another drive. That will get around the 100,000 file glass ceiling of Lightroom perhaps.

To good to be true?

Damien.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=107551\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

you can also have more then one library....

damien

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2007, 07:44:40 pm »

you can also have more then one library....
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=107570\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

My plan would be to have one library on each drive just for the contents of that drive. The drives could be labeled 2007, 2008 etc. When library hot switching is sorted and multiple library support is a feature, Lightroom will be useable as a database for professionals. It's functionality in most other areas is so good I feel LR is the right tool for me.

johnvr

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2007, 01:09:53 am »

You can move the database to the external hdd.

How ?
Close Lightroom, move the library, then double click on it in the new location.

Where is the Library on the Mac or a PC?

Mac = username/Pictures

PC = My Documents\My Pictures
There will be a speed penalty.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=107445\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

It turns out that after installing LR on my new laptop, the program had defaulted to storing imported files on the laptop's hard drive instead of in the already established database on the 500GB hard drive. Strange, since all other settings seem to have transferred from the old computer to the new one without a glitch.

For those who wondered about libraries: I have now accessed the 500GB hard drive both from my old computer and from the new one, depending on which computer I wanted to pull up the file. I have three libraries on that hard drive (personal, stock/travel and model shoots).
« Last Edit: March 20, 2007, 01:10:12 am by johnvr »

damien

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2007, 05:19:15 am »

It turns out that after installing LR on my new laptop, the program had defaulted to storing imported files on the laptop's hard drive instead of in the already established database on the 500GB hard drive. Strange, since all other settings seem to have transferred from the old computer to the new one without a glitch.

For those who wondered about libraries: I have now accessed the 500GB hard drive both from my old computer and from the new one, depending on which computer I wanted to pull up the file. I have three libraries on that hard drive (personal, stock/travel and model shoots).
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=107633\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hi john, Did you find a 'speed penalty' of having your library on the same external drive as your files? Does your laptop behave as it should now when importing?

johnvr

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2007, 09:20:13 am »

Hi john, Did you find a 'speed penalty' of having your library on the same external drive as your files? Does your laptop behave as it should now when importing?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=107658\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I'm sure there's some delay as compared with the hard drive of the laptop itself, but I haven't used either my old computer's or this new laptop's hard drive long enough with LR to compare file behavior. I'm not patient with computers, but I find this setup quite satisfying.

Also, I just don't have a choice, since I'm importing all my existing digital files into LR and neither internal hard drive has enough space for the thousands of files.

The laptop has now imported all files without a problem (into the 500GB hard drive) and it found the images that I had transferred myself to the 500GB from the internal hard drive without a problem as well.

The only strange thing was that it kept indicating 260 files as being present on the hard drive of the laptop, while I couldn't find those files at all on my laptop hard drive. I deleted those files in LR and re-imported them to the 500GB hard drive.

All's well now. The only thing I've been wondering about is why LR doesn't seem to give a choice of backing up its database to another drive than the one its regular database is stored on.

Sid EOS

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2007, 10:37:44 am »

The only thing I've been wondering about is why LR doesn't seem to give a choice of backing up its database to another drive than the one its regular database is stored on.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=107689\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

It does, you choose it just before backing up:

Sid Jervis

johnvr

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2007, 11:43:20 am »

It does, you choose it just before backing up:

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=107704\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Great. Couldn't find it, but I'll try this. Thanks

tomrock

• http://tomrockwell.com
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2007, 11:03:22 am »

Hi john, Did you find a 'speed penalty' of having your library on the same external drive as your files?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=107658\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

You may actually see a speed boost if the laptop drive is 5400 rpm and the external is 7200 provided the link is a fast one (firewire is a good choice here for Mac users). In fact, if the external is a multi-drive striped raid the increase would be even greater.

damien

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2007, 06:44:06 pm »

You may actually see a speed boost if the laptop drive is 5400 rpm and the external is 7200 provided the link is a fast one (firewire is a good choice here for Mac users). In fact, if the external is a multi-drive striped raid the increase would be even greater.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=107869\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Excellent - Just what I was hoping for. Each drive can have it's own library. It will be like a contents page and acess point.

Damien.

Sid EOS

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2007, 08:04:50 pm »

Damien, taking your comment a bit further. As part of a test I am running, I have a about 600 canon raw images and the Lightroom database stored on a 4Gb USB flash drive. Can't get much more portable than that

It runs fine, LR is responsive, in short - it works.

Sid Jervis

damien

« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2007, 07:02:03 am »

Damien, taking your comment a bit further. As part of a test I am running, I have a about 600 canon raw images and the Lightroom database stored on a 4Gb USB flash drive. Can't get much more portable than that

It runs fine, LR is responsive, in short - it works.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=107979\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Excellent news, thank you.

I'll get on with researching the use of LR in the sales room next. At the moment we use catalog sets in Iview and we use the instant slideshow facilities with marking on the fly to compile clients orders.
Pages: [1]   Go Up