Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Solution to problems installing Z3100 software  (Read 2675 times)

marty m

• http://
Solution to problems installing Z3100 software
« on: March 18, 2007, 07:34:09 pm »

I had problems installing the Easy Printer Center and Color Center software.  I am posting this so that it might provide some guidance for anyone else having problems.

I don't know exactly what eventually worked, so am posting what I did.  It finally installed OK after spending all weekend.

HP tech support didn't have a clue, and could only report that the DVD has problems, and recommended that software be downloaded instead.

The Z3100 driver installs OK, this pertains to the supporting software.

There are two problems.  First, an error message report that dlls aren't registered.  That error report and error number are widely reported for many types of HP software, across their web site.  

The supervisor I talked to had clearly not heard of it, but a quick check on the web site gets dozens of hits for the error number or message.  Shame on HP.  They should read their own web site.

In the complete absence of any help, I was groping blindly.  So I implemented two suggestions for HP printers and scanners, but not for the Z3100.  (It is too new and there is no guidance.)  One is to right click on software in the HK Local Machine of the registry, and ensure that you have the necessary permissions for your user name.

The second is thatI downloaded a piece of software to grant permissions so that an install wouldn't fail.  I don't think that made any difference though.

I also used an old piece of freeware called "end it all" that shuts down all background programs.  In case that was a cause of conflicts.

I believe that one of the above solved the problem of dlls not registering.

Then I got another error message, that a necessary piece of software was missing.  I got this both on the downloaded HP software and on the DVD.  I had no idea what caused that, as I had removed and installed the software so many times it was impossible to isolate the cause.  

However, I also have another HP printer -- a laserjet.  I had uninstalled that software as well in my search for conflicts.  So I reinstalled that.  Doing that, believe it or not, got rid of the error message about a missing driver to install the software for the Z3100.  Whatever was missing was included with the driver for the laserjet but not with the software for the Z3100.

Finally, I think Symantec Norton Utilities might have contributed to the problem of the software not loading or installing.

I've had problems with Norton before, and stopped using their firewall and antivirus about a year ago.  I recall having an install problem with a different piece of software and that company (audible) laid the blame on Norton.

I also removed Norton, and I believe it it might have been the final solution.

If you have problems, start with the two easiest solutions first.   If you have any Norton products, REMOVE them.  Don't just deactivate or turn them off by exiting.  You should remove them completely.  Norton has a "remove tool" on their web site that you should use for this purpose.

Second, grant yourself the permissions in the registry, because that is easy to do.

Clearly this is an isolated problem, and some PCs have the problem, and most don't.  There have been few problems reported in this regard.  That leads me to think it is a conflict caused by some other driver or software, and Norton/Symantec is notorious in that regard.

Don't waste your time by calling HP.

I hope the above is helpful for anyone else encountering problems.

Jim Cole

• Jim Cole Photography
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2007, 08:19:26 pm »

Marty,

Norton may very well have been your problem. I switched from Norton to McAfee about two years ago after I had problem after problem. The uninstall took three separate removal tools from Norton to clean up their software mess.

My software installs including all firmware and software went flawlessly.

Sorry you had so many issues.

Jim
Jim Cole
Flagstaff, AZ www.jimcolephoto.

marty m

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2007, 12:36:01 am »

Marty,

Norton may very well have been your problem. I switched from Norton to McAfee about two years ago after I had problem after problem. The uninstall took three separate removal tools from Norton to clean up their software mess.

My software installs including all firmware and software went flawlessly.

Sorry you had so many issues.

Jim
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=107369\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks for your response, and I agree that a limted number of users have this problem, and Norton might be the cause.  But I was also amazed and annoyed that the tech team at HP appeared to have no knowledge of error codes that are reported across their web site.

neil snape

• http://www.neilsnape.com
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2007, 03:26:12 am »

I thought I saw some notes on disabling Norton before installation. Maybe that is or has been an ongoing thing.

I do know that EFI ColorProof does warn of this and if ignored the install will fail . Luckily EFI puts in a checker for Norton and even tells you what Norton stuff is causing the failure.
I agree that HP should be up on these type of problems of installs. Is it in the read me scroll list when installing? If not it should be added there.
Good news , as usual Macs install without fault.

SeanPuckett

• http://photi.ca/
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2007, 07:36:38 am »

Marty,

I had the same DLL registration complaints on installation.  However, after giving up on it, and during the course of getting things set up in EPC, I found that the Color Center tab works *anyway*.  So I guess the installer is daffy, but still functional.

marty m

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2007, 09:56:59 am »

Marty,

I had the same DLL registration complaints on installation.  However, after giving up on it, and during the course of getting things set up in EPC, I found that the Color Center tab works *anyway*.  So I guess the installer is daffy, but still functional.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=107442\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Well, I can only repeat that those DLL error codes are listed all over the HP web site.  It is a common problem with HP software, and one you'd think they'd fix.

Or at least their tech guys should know about it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up