Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Studio Print and Z3100  (Read 3264 times)

Jim Cole

• Jim Cole Photography
Studio Print and Z3100
« on: March 18, 2007, 01:23:03 pm »

Hi all,

Now that my Z3100 is up and running and as it seems that the HP APS may produce smoother profiles than the basic profiling system built in, I am starting to collect information for setting myself up with the ability to:

1) produce the best profiles for my Z3100 while using the built in spectro and
2) provide simple and easy picture package layouts for making the most of 44" paper while printing everything from 8x10s to 40x50s.

Options are:
1) Buy QImage and the HP APS system or
2) Buy ErgoSoft's StudioPrint for the Z3100

ImagePrint is out of the question, since they do not allow custom profiles, only the ones they provide. This kinda kills the whole idea of the built in spectro.

I know that Ergosoft just released the StudioPrint version compatible with the Z3100, but there is not much info available on the ErgoSoft web site. I doubt even more that anyone has even had a chance to look at it. Since this software provides the built in software to build your own profiles (just add a spectro) I am assuming that their new version for the Z3100 would work with the built in spectro. I cannot seem to find any info on how good the profiling is and how many patches it uses. The target size is, I think, user selectable between small, medium and large but it does not specify the number of patches.

I am not very impressed with the confusing user interface of QImage on the trial download I've briefly looked at and it seems to be lacking in roll paper support as far as defining paper sizes while the layout options in StudioPrint look easier and more sophisticated, especially using roll paper.

QImage and the APS upgrade would run together about $900 while StudioPrint will set me back about $2100.

I guess I'm looking for input from folks with experience using StudioPrint to see if it can be a one stop shopping experience. If anyone has seen and compared profiles from APS and StudioPrint, that would be just peachy.

Thanks for any help.

Jim
Jim Cole
Flagstaff, AZ www.jimcolephoto.

Greg_E

Studio Print and Z3100
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2007, 02:10:55 pm »

http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index....showtopic=15026

I would suggest you wait a couple more weeks and see how the above turns out. Also you might want to see if the Evolution RIP has been updated to work with the Z series printers http://www.digifab.com You can get the Evolution with or without their profile creation software, and the price should be competitive with Studio Print (if supported from the Z series printers). You may need to send them an email about the Z series printers as I don't see it listed yet.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2007, 02:12:59 pm by Greg_E »

dkeyes

• http://
Studio Print and Z3100
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2007, 02:39:59 pm »

I'm interested in this topic as well and a bit confused as to what a rip will add to image quality above and beyond the APS.

I am about to buy the APS to get better profiles for my z3100 and would like to get a rip to improve images even more.
Here are my assumptions:

APS=Better images (at least for photographers like me)
RIP= Better images than APS (one can assume since no one has commented/tested yet)
APS+RIP=Best images? (or is the APS obsolete once I have a rip?)

I've never owned a rip so I don't know what each offers. Sounds like some provide profiles while others may let me use onboard spectro to create my own. (ideal)

I own a mac so some rips may not work as well.

Any insights welcome.

Thanks, Doug

Jim Cole

• Jim Cole Photography
Studio Print and Z3100
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2007, 03:06:29 pm »

Greg,

Thanks for the suggestion. I will definitely be waiting a while longer until a lot of the firmware issues settle out. I am in early investigative mode. I totally missed the StudioPrint reference in Amadou's thread. I guess I read it before the arival of my 3100 and didn't revisit since there had been no new discussion there. I just posted a question to Amadou on the end of that thread to see if he has any new info.

I will check out the Evolution Rip as an alternative.

Thanks again,
Jim
Jim Cole
Flagstaff, AZ www.jimcolephoto.

SeanPuckett

• http://photi.ca/
Studio Print and Z3100
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2007, 04:08:16 pm »

Jim,

Happy QImage user here, although as you say its roll paper support does seem to be lacking.  I'm not eager to buy the APS as I've got a Pulse ColorElite setup already. We'll see what time brings.

-s

Greg_E

Studio Print and Z3100
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2007, 04:19:37 pm »

Before anyone forks over the money for the APS, they should probably get a good profile made to see if it would be worth the money. There are plenty of people that use the Gretag PMP software to make profiles.

As far as the RIP goes, having control over the ink limits and mixing points should always yield the best results on third party papers. If you only ever use the HP papers, then the RIP may not be of much value to you. My personal opinion is that I won't run any large format printer without a RIP that allows me to have more control over the inks. I use the Evolution RIP on my Epson, the selling point was the flexibility with the inks, the resulting print is also great when you get the inks set up correctly. Running a RIP will almost require you to own a handheld spectrophotometer, so the cost might be more than you want to spend. This may be different with the Z series printers since they have the built in spectro, I'm not really sure because I haven't checked into the Z series capabilities.
Pages: [1]   Go Up