Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cannon vs Nikon  (Read 5247 times)

valkyrie1965

Cannon vs Nikon
« on: March 17, 2007, 06:06:04 pm »

Thanks for all of your replies/info your viewpoints were very informative.  So I have done some research and narowed my decision down.  I am interested in any feedback about the Rebel XTI vs 30D or D200 (I did have a price range after all LOL) Primarily will be used for portraits/event photog.  

Slough

Cannon vs Nikon
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2007, 05:05:52 am »

Thanks for all of your replies/info your viewpoints were very informative.  So I have done some research and narowed my decision down.  I am interested in any feedback about the Rebel XTI vs 30D or D200 (I did have a price range after all LOL) Primarily will be used for portraits/event photog. 
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=107215\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Blimey, those are three very different cameras. Well, the 30D and D200 are roughly comparable. If you want the best high ISO performance, get the 30D. If you want the best build, and highest resolution, get the D200. If you want a small pokey viewfinder, and a consumer grade build, get the Rebel. (Seriously, the Rebel is superb value, but you really should try to get better.)

I don;t think there is much in it but you will get less abuse owning Canon, judging by the endless stream of "Canon are better than Nikon, nah nah na naaaah na" on various forums ...

I certainly will not change to Canon until they produce something to match the Nikon 60mm F2.8 and 200mm F4 micro lenses.

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
Cannon vs Nikon
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2007, 09:11:49 am »

Blimey, those are three very different cameras. Well, the 30D and D200 are roughly comparable. If you want the best high ISO performance, get the 30D. If you want the best build, and highest resolution, get the D200. If you want a small pokey viewfinder, and a consumer grade build, get the Rebel. (Seriously, the Rebel is superb value, but you really should try to get better.)

I don;t think there is much in it but you will get less abuse owning Canon, judging by the endless stream of "Canon are better than Nikon, nah nah na naaaah na" on various forums ...

I certainly will not change to Canon until they produce something to match the Nikon 60mm F2.8 and 200mm F4 micro lenses.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=107253\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
As a Canon owner, I'd pretty much agree. Get either the 30D or the D200, depending on which of the two feels better in your hands. And which ever you decide, have a pair of earplugs handy to put in whenever there is an owner of the Other Brand nearby.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

elkhornsun

Cannon vs Nikon
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2007, 05:18:05 am »

As a Canon owner, I'd pretty much agree. Get either the 30D or the D200, depending on which of the two feels better in your hands. And which ever you decide, have a pair of earplugs handy to put in whenever there is an owner of the Other Brand nearby.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=107264\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

With event photography often you are dealing with low light situations where both low light autofocus and high ISO noise are concerns. The D200 is fine with regard to noise up to ISO 1250 above which point you will need to use some sort of application like Noise Ninja. The D200 has only one cross-type sensor in the middle which definitely affects low light autofocus and can result in missed shots.

Using flash at events the commander mode with the D200 works very well to trigger a remote flash and this capability is not available with the 30D. Overall the Nikon flash system has been more reliable both in terms of results and reliability. This may change with the recently released Canon 580EX e-TTL II flash unit, but Canon flash while acceptable with the pro cameras like the Mark II and even the 5D has been good, this has not been the case with the 20D/30D cameras.

Both cameras can make use of their respective 17-55mm f2.8 zoom lenses which are the perfect zoom range for event photography with an APS-C camera.

Overall I think the 30D and D200 are quite close with the 30D providing 1/2 stop higher ISO without noise concerns and the D200 providing more consistent results with flash, either on camera or off.

Bruce

danag42

Cannon vs Nikon
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2007, 09:56:07 pm »

Don't ignore the new Pentax K10D.  It is roughly the equivalent level as the Nikon D200, but with more useful and innovative features.

The current catalog of lenses is not as extensive as Canon or Nikon, but the quality is unsurpassed, AND you can use older lenses - which are an EXTENSIVE catalog.  And it uses them fully, with pretty much no restrictions.  Of course, the camera and lens combination will function at the highest level of the lens (a Manual lens will be a Manual lens on the K10D) but there are lots of them out there!

danmitchell

• http://www.gdanmitchell.com/
Cannon vs Nikon
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2007, 10:12:30 pm »

I can't add much about the Nikon since I'm a Canon user. (Though I've plenty of positive stuff about that camera.)

As far as how the differences between the XTi and the 30D shake out, it depends a lot on your personal preferences and your subjects. (Disclaimer: I own neither of these two cameras. I do own a 350D/XT and a 5D - the former is similar to the XTi and the latter is in many ways similar to the 30D.)

If you are budget limited, the XTi could well be the better choice. It is capable of producing image quality that, at worst, is indistinguishable from that of the 30D and arguably might be a little bit better. It actually incorporates many of the features of the 30D (such as the AF system) at a lower price, and adds some additional features not found on the 30D (10MP sensor, dust reduction, etc.).

The 30D is larger and heavier and, therefore, looks more "pro" to many buyers. Some like the handling of the larger body, while others like the smaller body for the same reasons. I have large hands and I have happily used the 350D/XT for the past two years and I virtually never am bothered by the body size.

Some say that the interface on the 30D is far better than that on the XTi. Based on my experience with the 350D/XT and the 5D, I'll agree that the interfaces are a bit different. However, after learning my 350D fully I could operate it quickly and intuitively and, frankly, I don't find the 5D interface profoundly better - at it is virtually the same as the 30D.

The 30D does have some features that may put it ahead of the XTi if you need them. Like the 5D, the maximum burst rate of the XTi is 3 fps. The 30D can do 5 fps. If you often require this for action photography then the difference can be worth it. The 30D also provides spot metering. Again, if you are a big spot metering fan this might make a difference. (Most photographers today don't rely on spot metering - the histogram often tells you more, and quickly.)

Another possible advantage of the XTi is that, costing less, you may have a bit more money left over to spend on better lenses. In the end I think that the quality of your images is more likely to be affected by better lenses than by any difference between these two bodies.

Take care,

Dan

Thanks for all of your replies/info your viewpoints were very informative.  So I have done some research and narowed my decision down.  I am interested in any feedback about the Rebel XTI vs 30D or D200 (I did have a price range after all LOL) Primarily will be used for portraits/event photog. 
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=107215\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
G Dan Mitchell
[url=http://www.gdanmitch

Christopher

• http://www.hauser-photoart.com
Cannon vs Nikon
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2007, 07:59:41 pm »

Sorry but it is Canon and not Cannon... that's all.
Christopher Hauser
[email=chris@hauser-p

Johnny V

Cannon vs Nikon
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2007, 01:59:14 pm »

I agree with pretty much everyone above...

With that said I own the XTi and it's really the best bang for the buck. I also shoot events and parties with the 580 flash and sometimes without the flash at 1600 ISO with very good results. The XTi has the 30D's focusing system and with all the thousands of images I have shot, I have very few out of focus shots.

The big LCD in the back is a plus for image review and with a very easy menu navigation.

Are you starting from scratch or do you have a few lenses?

richard.martin80

Cannon vs Nikon
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2007, 09:40:17 am »

well you didnt say anything about the lenses ( do you already have any ?? )

but presuming you dont have any , i think cannon is also the wiser choise and i personaly own the eos 30d and am  most pleased with it , so if your into the 30d

better check out this offer :  http://shorl.com/garegygruvire

Johnny V

Cannon vs Nikon
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2007, 10:00:14 am »

better check out this offer :  http://shorl.com/garegygruvire
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=108962\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Avoid the seller at the above link...as it's Brooklyn, NY based and probably a "bait and switch" outfit.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2007, 10:01:14 am by Johnny V »

fotovandenatuur

• http://www.fotovandenatuur.nl
Cannon vs Nikon
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2007, 03:40:14 pm »

I have gone through the same choice-proces. I ended up with the D200. Main reasons are it felt much better in my hands (I always had Canon before), and the better sealing which can be handy in nature. Second is the ability to have older handfocussed lenses. For example I have a 105mm F4 macro which still is great.

On the negative side I think ISO performance but prints are useable. And lightmetering with lots of sky or end of day light I haven't found the automate to be very helpfull (have to change settings frequently).

You can find some pictures at www.fotovandenatuur.nl (some are from a Canon 530 pocketcamera and some are scanned from negative).

Rob
« Last Edit: March 27, 2007, 03:41:02 pm by fotovandenatuur »
Pages: [1]   Go Up