Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20]   Go Down

Author Topic: I'll show you mine ...  (Read 227237 times)

RMichael

I'll show you mine ...
« Reply #380 on: May 12, 2007, 02:25:36 am »

Go ahead and post without fear, at least of me.  I won't comment.  I have never posted comments intended to trample on toes.  It's too easy.  Or just to be "nice" or politically correct.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=117024\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Being harsh has nothing to do with being politically correct. All I meant by nice was be kind. It's a good thing. Anyway,there's no point arguing. All the best to you

:Ollivr

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/ollivr/
I'll show you mine ...
« Reply #381 on: May 12, 2007, 04:36:16 pm »

Great collection of photos! Here is my favourite three from this weekend. Bigger sizes are on my flickr page if anyone wants to look.

Regards,

O.

Antarctic Mat

I'll show you mine ...
« Reply #382 on: May 13, 2007, 05:43:37 am »

Hello.
Here are a couple of landscapes taken from Rothera Point on the Antarctic Peninsular.

Mat.

Gabe

I'll show you mine ...
« Reply #383 on: May 13, 2007, 12:45:37 pm »

Hi Gabe,

I don't read Audubon or any other nature mags so I can't compare your shot to that, but it works for me - well done.

Bonus points for getting it on a PHD camera as well..
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=117017\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hi David, and thanks! I'm glad you enjoyed it

I had no idea my post would incite such heated discussion in here, but thank you to all who chose to comment -- I appreciate any and all remarks, no matter how they are worded. I really like the fact that the community here maintains high-standards for anything shared, since if you can maintain a thick enough skin to take what's offered in response to heart, I think the shared knowledge and experience found here can be an invaluable tool for helping to hone one's skills.  

FWIW, I didn't read howie's note as anything other than honest and to-the-point critique. It's a fact that the highlights are distracting, just as much as it's a fact that they were basically impossible to eliminate at the time I took the shot (next time I will take Kate's advice and pack some SuperGlue in the day-bag   ). I'm a hobbyist, not a pro, so I'm perfectly comfortable making photos with flaws if that means not missing a shot.

I've gone back and forth on how to crop that one, since I know that a tighter crop presents the bird better, but when I tighten it up, there are still some distracting highlights in the frame, and it ends up feeling a bit forced and claustrophobic to me. Or maybe a better way to describe the effect is that it becomes overly 'sanitized' IMO.. especially given the fact that a close crop doesn't really eliminate some of the 'problems' the image has. It just seems to lose any sense of context when tightened up (then again, maybe that's because I'm the only one who can still remember the context at the time I shot it).

In the end, I decided that it's simply an 'ok' shot of a hummingbird caught doing something that I haven't personally witnessed all that often (I don't read Audubon either) and decided to share it with the rest of you to get some much needed feedback. As I mentioned in my original post, it really was just a grab-shot with a P&S.. qucik and dirty -- I still had a wad of crépe in my mouth, for Pete's sake!

That said, I really do appreciate people taking time to look at the photo and offer some critique. Here's a revised crop.. any better?

[attachment=2491:attachment]
« Last Edit: May 13, 2007, 12:51:40 pm by Gabe »

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
I'll show you mine ...
« Reply #384 on: May 14, 2007, 07:46:38 pm »

As a grab shot I'd say it was pretty well done.  If you can get the hummingbird to pose and sign a model release you might be able to make a better image.  

I don't like the second shot because it looks like someone shoved a plant up the bird's butt and there's no context to the image.  It's too tight, and makes me wonder what you're trying to cut out.  Since this image is the only one you have, or the best of what you have, and since the bird is the only focus of this image, I'd suggest masking the bird and the branch going down to the lower left and using levels or curves to flatten out and darken the rest of the background.  In essence you'll be extending or amplifying  the low depth of field, bringing the overexposed highlights under control and possibly achieving a better image.  Depends on your skills at Photoshop.  It also depends on how much 'manipulation' you believe is justifiable.  And since the G7 doesn't have RAW you're going to lose some data in the jpg and you might end up with shadow noise, but the experience alone might be valuable.  Of course you'll make a copy of the image before starting, or save it to a new file as editing a jpg file is destructive to start with.  But who know, it might work, you might learn something, and you might even have fun in the process!

Mike.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2007, 07:47:32 pm by wolfnowl »
If your mind is attuned t

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
I'll show you mine ...
« Reply #385 on: May 14, 2007, 07:59:06 pm »

Hi Mat:

I like your first image, but the second one, to me, is just a documentary shot.  It's an iceberg in front of some mountains.

Anyway, with your first image I applied a tone curve to add some drama and reduce the blown out area in center right.  Everyone has their own ideas of what constitutes a good image...

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

Antarctic Mat

I'll show you mine ...
« Reply #386 on: May 15, 2007, 04:10:37 am »

Hi Mike!

Thanks for your comments and for having a play with the first print. I like the way that you have increased the dark areas, much more contrast now although it seems to me that it has highlighted the area right of centre and it now looks more blown out than before. I think it's a bit of a trade off, as with most things I'm finding, the added contrast works overall but there is a loss of detail in a lot of the dark areas, particularly on the base of the mountan and in the sea. I might see if I can use the effect to make the sky a little more dramatic but leave some of the other areas as they where. Like you say, all personal preference!
I quite like the big burg infront of the mountain, probably just because I was there, not because it is a good photograph. I took loads of it as the sea ice was good enough to walk on, heres a different perspective below.

Thanks again for the comments.
Mat.

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
I'll show you mine ...
« Reply #387 on: May 15, 2007, 05:40:47 am »

Hello.
Here are a couple of landscapes taken from Rothera Point on the Antarctic Peninsular.

Mat.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=117241\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

What a stunning light situation!

I feel that there might have been ways to capture that even better perhaps (it seems a bit blown and the lower left corner feels a bit empty), but the present image is already very impressive.

Regards,
Bernard

Ray

I'll show you mine ...
« Reply #388 on: May 15, 2007, 07:57:16 am »

That said, I really do appreciate people taking time to look at the photo and offer some critique. Here's a revised crop.. any better?

[attachment=2491:attachment]
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=117296\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Looks a bit dark and still has a few distracting highlights.

How about this?

[attachment=2496:attachment]

katemann

I'll show you mine ...
« Reply #389 on: May 15, 2007, 06:28:55 pm »

or

Mike Boden

• http://www.mikeboden.com
I'll show you mine ...
« Reply #390 on: May 16, 2007, 04:30:47 pm »

Here is one of my most recent images that I shot March 4, 2007. This was taken just off HWY 395, south of Mammoth Lakes. Enjoy!

"Shack"

Toyo 45AII, Rodenstock Grandagon-N 90mm, Velvia 50
« Last Edit: May 16, 2007, 04:35:44 pm by bodenzord »
Mike Boden - www.mikeboden.com
Instagram

fennario

I'll show you mine ...
« Reply #391 on: May 17, 2007, 09:10:54 pm »

Thanks for getting this going, and my thanks as well to everyone whose contributed so far a truly wonderful and inspiring thread to work through.  I posted this along with a few others in the C&C section yesterday prior to my finding this thread.

For some reason, pBase doesn't like my links, so apologies, if they don't appear

« Last Edit: May 17, 2007, 10:29:09 pm by fennario »

behin

I'll show you mine ...
« Reply #392 on: May 21, 2007, 11:48:40 am »

Quote from: fennario,May 18 2007, 04:40 AM
nice shots, specially interesting angle of view in second one

fennario

I'll show you mine ...
« Reply #393 on: May 21, 2007, 05:41:05 pm »

Thanks,

It took a bit to find the right cable pair with Alcatraz centered.  There were a couple of technical issues as well.  One issue was that a high shutter speed was necessary due to the bounce and vibrations of the bridge.  The other biggie was that I couldn't get a good hyperfocal compromise due to the short distance between the cables and lens I used (70-200 2.8IS).  If I were to redo, I would cross over to the bike path side of the bridge to increase the distance between the cables and lens (I wanted to use the tele to compress the image).  The GG Bridge shot utilizes extreme LAB curves to change the green-grey water to approxomate the color of the bridge.

Stephen Starkman

I'll show you mine ...
« Reply #394 on: May 22, 2007, 01:11:44 am »

recently....

grrrrr.... links don't work... will try to fix this later.....
« Last Edit: May 22, 2007, 11:04:11 pm by Stephen Starkman »
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20]   Go Up