Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20   Go Down

Author Topic: I'll show you mine ...  (Read 227229 times)

WiRED

I'll show you mine ...
« Reply #360 on: May 09, 2007, 01:11:03 am »

Well... May be this one isn't exactly landscape, but I would like to post it    

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
I'll show you mine ...
« Reply #361 on: May 09, 2007, 03:49:28 pm »

Hi, and welcome to the list!

What is it about this image that appeals to you?

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

howiesmith

I'll show you mine ...
« Reply #362 on: May 09, 2007, 05:31:08 pm »

Mike.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=116637\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Good question.  I know I don't see it.  Looks like an underexposed boney cow, chained under a tree, eating grass.  There must be more there.

howiesmith

I'll show you mine ...
« Reply #363 on: May 09, 2007, 05:32:08 pm »

Mike.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=116637\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Good question.  I know I don't see it.  Looks like an underexposed boney cow, chained under a tree, eating grass.  There must be more there.

RMichael

I'll show you mine ...
« Reply #364 on: May 10, 2007, 06:21:48 pm »

Good question.  I know I don't see it.  Looks like an underexposed boney cow, chained under a tree, eating grass.  There must be more there.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=116658\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Malnourished too.     Is there some message addressed to our charity?

R

Gabe

I'll show you mine ...
« Reply #365 on: May 10, 2007, 08:08:36 pm »

Here's one I shot with the G7 while having breakfast recently in Costa Rica.. It's not exactly what I'd call 'art', and it doesn't really have a message, per-se (outside of sympathising with how sleepy the heat and humidity there can make you, perhaps   ).. but I like it all the same for a quickie hand-held grabshot:

« Last Edit: May 10, 2007, 08:20:16 pm by Gabe »

howiesmith

I'll show you mine ...
« Reply #366 on: May 10, 2007, 08:27:23 pm »

A different crop might help present the bird beiter.  The very light parts of the background draw the eye to nothing and for no apparent reason.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2007, 08:28:17 pm by howiesmith »

katemann

I'll show you mine ...
« Reply #367 on: May 10, 2007, 08:40:13 pm »

At least it isn't a cow.  

I like the bird - and I agree about the light spots. But great grabbed shot.

Gabe

I'll show you mine ...
« Reply #368 on: May 10, 2007, 10:10:03 pm »

Thanks for the comments, Howie and Kate! I absolutely agree about the highlight areas as well, but try as I might, I simply could not get the little guy to stay still like that while shaded by the banana leaf that's just out of frame!    

I'm still tinkering with this one..

katemann

I'll show you mine ...
« Reply #369 on: May 11, 2007, 08:03:50 am »

Gabe, maybe if you had had the presence of mind to apply glue to the spot upon which the little guy planned to land and waited for the light conditions to change ...

It's a really great shot. - and you used a G7! What did you do when you weren't sleepy?

howiesmith

I'll show you mine ...
« Reply #370 on: May 11, 2007, 10:50:42 am »

But great grabbed shot.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=116877\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

It might be a "great grab" but it is the details that keep it from being a "great" image of this type of bird. Look at published images of birds in Audubon for example.  The details are much better handled.

If you can't control highlights, as in this image, there is no reason not to take the photo.  But a wide public display may require more than the photographer's explanation he couldn't manipulate a banana leaf.  If the bird is extremely rare, the standards may reduced.  A grab shot of a unicorn may be enough just for the subject.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2007, 11:01:39 am by howiesmith »

RMichael

I'll show you mine ...
« Reply #371 on: May 11, 2007, 11:22:17 am »

It might be a "great grab" but it is the details that keep it from being a "great" image of this type of bird. Look at published images of birds in Audubon for example.  The details are much better handled.

If you can't control highlights, as in this image, there is no reason not to take the photo.  But a wide public display may require more than the photographer's explanation he couldn't manipulate a banana leaf.  If the bird is extremely rare, the standards may reduced.  A grab shot of a unicorn may be enough just for the subject.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=116963\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Nevertheless it must be appreciated as a good effort. If only perfect images of birds must be displayed, they'd all be in Audobon. Being a new member here,am I to understand you will rip apart anything less than perfect?

Regards

howiesmith

I'll show you mine ...
« Reply #372 on: May 11, 2007, 11:34:04 am »

Nevertheless it must be appreciated as a good effort. If only perfect images of birds must be displayed, they'd all be in Audobon. Being a new member here,am I to understand you will rip apart anything less than perfect?
Regards
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=116969\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yes, it is a "good effort."  No, not all birds displayed would be in Audubon.  But there is no reason they couldn't be that good.

A new member or not, if all you are trying to achieve is "good effort," that's fine.  You can take whatever criticism offered or not.  It is up to you.  But it might be diffficult to learn to be an Audubon caliber photographer if all you hear is "great image - wow," for your good efforts.  For sure, a subnission to Audubon will get tossed if they are merely good efforts.  

Try to be mediocre, and that is about all you will ever be.  It takes only a little more effort to try to be excellant.

RMichael

I'll show you mine ...
« Reply #373 on: May 11, 2007, 11:50:40 am »

Yes, it is a "good effort."  No, not all birds displayed would be in Audubon.  But there is no reason they couldn't be that good.

A new member or not, if all you are trying to achieve is "good effort," that's fine.  You can take whatever criticism offered or not.  It is up to you.  But it might be diffficult to learn to be an Audubon caliber photographer if all you hear is "great image - wow," for your good efforts.  For sure, a subnission to Audubon will get tossed if they are merely good efforts. 

Try to be mediocre, and that is about all you will ever be.  It takes only a little more effort to try to be excellant.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=116972\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I seriously doubt if the photographer was aiming at being published in Audubon.I also doubt if any of the Audubon caliber photographers started out with perfect shots. You've got to start at a place to reach somewhere. My point is, a little acknowledgment of an effort  coupled with a gentler criticism helps far more than mere trashing.

Sometimes that can stall someone so he never reaches that obscure place of the"excellent", which is highly relative. I wouldn't want to do that to someone.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2007, 11:54:10 am by RMichael »

howiesmith

I'll show you mine ...
« Reply #374 on: May 11, 2007, 12:36:03 pm »

I seriously doubt if the photographer was aiming at being published in Audubon.I also doubt if any of the Audubon caliber photographers started out with perfect shots. You've got to start at a place to reach somewhere. My point is, a little acknowledgment of an effort  coupled with a gentler criticism helps far more than mere trashing.

Sometimes that can stall someone so he never reaches that obscure place of the"excellent", which is highly relative. I wouldn't want to do that to someone.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=116979\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I have no idea of the photographer's aim.  I don't really care.

I too doubt that Audubon caliber photographers started that way.  But somehow they manged to get over being a newbie snapshooter.  That was likey by desire through work, practice and honest assessments of their work.  And they are probably still working to learn and improve.

I certainly wasn't aware that suggesting a different crop (didn't even offer one as this has been previoudly identified as "I know best") or that the highlights were hot and distracting, were "mere trashing."  If you do, I would just say you have never been really trashed.

If my comments are enough to stall his growth, I would say he is wat too sensitive to grow and/or just doesn't want to be any better.  In the latter case, then he is just looking for a slap on the back.  

Would "Good effort" be a better assessment?  If so, then; Good effort.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2007, 02:12:11 pm by howiesmith »

RMichael

I'll show you mine ...
« Reply #375 on: May 11, 2007, 04:59:12 pm »

I have no idea of the photographer's aim.  I don't really care.

I too doubt that Audubon caliber photographers started that way.  But somehow they manged to get over being a newbie snapshooter.  That was likey by desire through work, practice and honest assessments of their work.  And they are probably still working to learn and improve.

I certainly wasn't aware that suggesting a different crop (didn't even offer one as this has been previoudly identified as "I know best") or that the highlights were hot and distracting, were "mere trashing."  If you do, I would just say you have never been really trashed.

If my comments are enough to stall his growth, I would say he is wat too sensitive to grow and/or just doesn't want to be any better.  In the latter case, then he is just looking for a slap on the back. 

Would "Good effort" be a better assessment?  If so, then; Good effort.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=116991\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Good effort and here's how I think you could do better is more like it....   The trash comment was about something else,not the crop comment.

Would you like to say Hi to a new member?   Nice to meet you Howie.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2007, 05:38:01 pm by RMichael »

howiesmith

I'll show you mine ...
« Reply #376 on: May 11, 2007, 05:48:47 pm »

Good effort and here's how I think you could do better is more like it....   The trash comment was about something else,not the crop comment.

Would you like to say Hi to a new member?   Nice to meet you Howie.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=117012\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
You are obvious alloyed about something I posted, but won't say what.  How am I supposed to stay off your toes in the future, especially when the image isn't even yours.  Ever wonder how anybody can say anything without getting someone in an uproar?

David Anderson

• http://www.twigwater.com
I'll show you mine ...
« Reply #377 on: May 11, 2007, 06:10:45 pm »

Hi Gabe,

I don't read Audubon or any other nature mags so I can't compare your shot to that, but it works for me - well done.

Bonus points for getting it on a PHD camera as well..

RMichael

I'll show you mine ...
« Reply #378 on: May 11, 2007, 06:12:17 pm »

You are obvious alloyed about something I posted, but won't say what.  How am I supposed to stay off your toes in the future, especially when the image isn't even yours.  Ever wonder how anybody can say anything without getting someone in an uproar?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=117016\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

You just scared me. that's all.  .....I wanted to be sure I can get you to be nice  . I'll post some of mine and you can trample all you wish on my toes .  Really howie, no offense.

Take care

howiesmith

I'll show you mine ...
« Reply #379 on: May 11, 2007, 07:03:30 pm »

You just scared me. that's all.  .....I wanted to be sure I can get you to be nice  . I'll post some of mine and you can trample all you wish on my toes .  Really howie, no offense.
Take care
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=117018\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Go ahead and post without fear, at least of me.  I won't comment.  I have never posted comments intended to trample on toes.  It's too easy.  Or just to be "nice" or politically correct.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20   Go Up