Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Keywords or tagging  (Read 3067 times)

msmack

Keywords or tagging
« on: March 16, 2007, 02:15:49 am »

I have 5000 images organized by keyword in the Organizer, which is part of Photoshop Elements.   Although I use a year, date, file structure in Windows for Import purposes, the Organizer allows me to add keywords/tags.  I add the keywords as soon as the images are imported although I am starting to show signs of laziness.

Will I have to go thru each image in LR to give it keywords to be able to find the image easily in the library?  I don't want to have to find the image by my Windows structure as that is not how I find the images.

Will LR import the images with the keywords that I have attached in Elements?

Merrill

john beardsworth

• My photography site
Keywords or tagging
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2007, 03:21:02 am »

You'll be OK. Just import from Elements - it'll bring it all in. I think some users have had problems with hierarchies, but you won't have to keyword again.

devane68

Keywords or tagging
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2007, 09:50:18 pm »

I just imported ~13,000 from PSE5.  LR will not import the JPG of a RAW file if they share the same name (e.g. "_MG 5280.jpg" and "_MG5280.CR2").  Only the RAW file will come in.  If that is your case then place all the JPGs in a subfolder of the RAW images and the JPGs will be imported.  Do this from the folder view in PSE or else you will lose links to your pictures in the PSE catalog.  Trust me.  I've been through this pain (this is my fifth or sixth time of omprting my library, trying to find out what works).  You can always make a test library and practice importing.  Also, write tag info to your files in PSE.  Hope this aids you...

msmack

Keywords or tagging
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2007, 03:13:33 am »

Thank you both very much for the info.  I am "psyching" (sp) myself up to do the import.  As with a lot of computer things, I spend a lot of time, fixing, moving, cleaning, and getting stressed with almost every new development.  Remember the time we thought the computer would free us up to do other things? Seems to me it's always something.  

I am sure eventually LR will make my image processing much easier but until then?????

Merrill

msmack

Keywords or tagging
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2007, 03:16:19 am »

Devane:

Thanks for the warning.  How would I put the jpgs/tiffs in a subfolder.  The Raw images are in the folder by date and the jpgs would have been saved to that same folder.

Merrill

I just imported ~13,000 from PSE5.  LR will not import the JPG of a RAW file if they share the same name (e.g. "_MG 5280.jpg" and "_MG5280.CR2").  Only the RAW file will come in.  If that is your case then place all the JPGs in a subfolder of the RAW images and the JPGs will be imported.  Do this from the folder view in PSE or else you will lose links to your pictures in the PSE catalog.  Trust me.  I've been through this pain (this is my fifth or sixth time of omprting my library, trying to find out what works).  You can always make a test library and practice importing.  Also, write tag info to your files in PSE.  Hope this aids you...
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=107114\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

devane68

Keywords or tagging
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2007, 12:09:09 pm »

Devane:

Thanks for the warning.  How would I put the jpgs/tiffs in a subfolder.  The Raw images are in the folder by date and the jpgs would have been saved to that same folder.

Merrill
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=107146\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Navigate to the folder that your RAW files are in.  As long as the folder is just the RAW and associated JPGs (TIFFs), click on the "file type" column to organize by file type.  Select all JPGs and "CTRL X".  Create a new folder in your RAW file folder.  I named mine "JPGs from RAW".  "CTRL V" all your JPGs from the associated RAWs into that subfolder.  Do this for each of your RAW folders.  This could be very labor intensive.  I only did this because I am going to continue using PSE5 along with LR and PS CS3.  I think LR was designed so that you only need the RAW file.  If you make any edits you can always export as a JPG back to your picture folder and then PSE will ask to import the new (edited) JPG.  
Pages: [1]   Go Up