Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fix Case of Lightroom Keywords  (Read 25684 times)

lightroomtools

Fix Case of Lightroom Keywords
« on: March 15, 2007, 05:30:49 pm »

For you those you who have watched Michael and Jeff's lightroom tutorial this might be of some use.  In it they reference that you need to be very careful to ensure that you are consistent in how you enter your keywords because it can quickly become a mess between upper and lower case if you aren't careful.

To try and help with this I have written a quick tool to allow for the bulk updating of all the keywords in a lightroom database to one of four different cases (upper, lower, title, and sentence).  I find this rather useful to allow me to quickly enter keywords without worrying about it then updating them all in a batch when I am done.  

The tool can be downloaded at my website (www.lightroomtools.com).  The site is very new so please be gentle but I hope to keep on making new plugins and tools for lightroom which will be available from here.  If you have any suggestions for tools that would help you out please let me know either in this forum or as a comment on my site.  I am always looking for good ideas.

mikeseb

• http://www.michaelsebastian.com
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2007, 07:50:59 pm »

Very handy--thanks for offering this.

What I really need is a tool to write iView Media Pro catalog sets and custom fields into the Lightroom database; ideally the catalog sets would become LR Collections, and the custom field data would be placed either in keywords or some little-used IPTC field.

There was a script floating around to write catalog sets into keywords but it does not work due to a bug in a subsequent iVMP version (according to its creator.)

I think for me, for now, LR is not yet ready for DAM prime-time.
michael sebast

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2007, 09:47:26 pm »

A very useful idea, though as I do work on a PC [as do many others] a PC version would be lovely, jubbly!
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele

signmaster

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2007, 10:12:41 pm »

Just want to put my encouragement behind a PC version.

lightroomtools

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2007, 12:19:55 pm »

I am currently working on the PC version should be ready in a few hours.

Thanks for the interest!

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2007, 12:27:12 pm »

Another few hours!
I wish Adobe were his responsive. And Cheap.

To clarify, by title do you mean change 'boy, dog, Water, blue...' into Boy, Dog, Water, Blue...? As I find that much easier to read than all lowercase.
Cheers j
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele

lightroomtools

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2007, 02:02:31 pm »

The windows version is now available.  It isn't especially pretty but I figured quick turnaround was better than fancy, flashing lights.   You can get it from here :www.lightroomtools.com

By Title Case I think I mean what you want:

Input:    grand canyon
Output: Grand Canyon

Input:  the quick brown fox jumps over the lazy hen.
Output: The Quick Brown Fox Jumps Over The Lazy Hen.

Carl Harsch

• http://www.ohenry.smugmug.com
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2007, 07:24:51 pm »

Would someone please guide me to where the keyword database is found on a PC?  I did a search for *.lrdb and came up empty handed.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2007, 06:51:53 am »

By default, it's in My Pictures. Note the lrdb isn't just the keywords.

Carl Harsch

• http://www.ohenry.smugmug.com
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2007, 10:41:00 am »

I must be missing something (likely quite obvious, as well).  I couldn't find anything that struck me as being where the  keyword database could be stored.  I did a seach of my entire computer for *.lrdb and didn't locate anything.

edit:  Somehow, I must have deleted the database, although I don't understand how it seems to be working just fine.  I created a new library to experiment and saw the lrdb when I did that...for whatever reason, I don't have one for my existing library.  It may be in my best interest to start over with a new library unless I can figure out how to create a database for the existing library.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2007, 05:04:27 pm by Carl Harsch »

RustedEyes

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2007, 07:37:25 pm »

The windows version is now available.  It isn't especially pretty but I figured quick turnaround was better than fancy, flashing lights.   You can get it from here :www.lightroomtools.com

By Title Case I think I mean what you want:

Input:    grand canyon
Output: Grand Canyon

Input:  the quick brown fox jumps over the lazy hen.
Output: The Quick Brown Fox Jumps Over The Lazy Hen.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=107048\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Great idea! Now if I can only make it work...I identified my lrdb, saw all my keywords listed, clicked on my choice (same as above) but didn't see any change in my LR keywords. Where did I go wrong?

dbump

Re: Fix Case of Lightroom Keywords
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2010, 08:23:38 pm »

This is pretty old, and I'm not sure if the tool would work with Lightroom 3, but does anyone have a copy of the Windows version?  The lightroomtools site is no longer online, and I can't find any other sources.  I'm not looking forward to using SQL queries to fix this by directly modifying the database.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2010, 02:28:49 am »

It's so old that things have moved on amd the way I'd now recommend is via a plug-in or script. What exactly are you trying to do?

John

dbump

« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2010, 10:00:07 am »

I'm trying to clean up/reorganize my keywords.  Since I posted, I discovered that Lightroom does not allow both "birds" and "Birds" at the same level in the keyword hierarchy, so I think my problem is more limited than I feared.
I do have problems like "Animals/birds" and "Birds", but I realize now that a simple case-conversion isn't adequate to fix that kind of issue.
I would like a better way to move keywords around the hierarchy than the drag&drop panel.  I haven't seen any plugins for that, however.  Any great ideas, or am I just in for a lot of mousing?

Brad Smith

« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2010, 01:45:31 pm »

Since I posted, I discovered that Lightroom does not allow both "birds" and "Birds" at the same level in the keyword hierarchy

This appears to be true--in fact if you already have "Birds", and you enter "birds" as a new keyword, LR will convert "birds" to "Birds" when you enter it. In this case, I'm not sure I understand the purpose of the new tool.

dbump

« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2010, 12:21:11 am »

I simply haven't been consistent when entering keywords.  Some of them are nested in a hierarchy, some of them are flat, just top-level keywords.  So I'll have top level "Hummingbird" as well as a nicely organized "Animals>Birds>hummingbirds" and I might also have top level "Sparrow" and no such sub-keyword under "Animals>Birds".

Totally my fault--bad discipline.  What I'd love is a nicer way to move them around, for example move Sparrow to Animals/Birds/Sparrow.  Obviously I can drag it there, but if you have, a lot of top level keywords, it's pretty tedious.  Once I drag something off the bottom of the visible scroll list, the list scrolls amazingly fast, so before I can react, I'm at the bottom of the list.  Really great if I need to move items to either the top or the bottom, not so good for moving it to a group in the middle.  

It's actually much easier to re-keyword all "Hummingbird" photos as "Animals>Birds>hummingbird", then delete plain "Hummingbird" as a keyword.  I may end up using that method.  

But to answer your question, the tool I would love to see would be a two-pane view, somewhat like Windows Explorer, where I could set one pane's focus on the group I want to move things into, then scroll the other pane to items that need to be moved, and drag them to the keyword group in the first pane, without having to scroll while dragging.  It'd still be some work, but I can imagine actually tackling it.

And yes, this is now way off the original topic :)
« Last Edit: August 19, 2010, 12:23:45 am by dbump »

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2010, 03:41:26 am »

You're not alone! I consider myself pretty tight with data management, but I quickly found myself with such inconsistent keyword hierarchies from different computers that I decided to return to a completely flat keyword list. No more duplicate keywords!

That said, one thing Adobe could do is improve drag and drop between hierarchies. For instance, if you drag the "hummingbird" keyword from wildlife>birds to birds>, you should get a "want to merge these keywords?" message if there's already a birds>hummingbird. But there are dangers in automating keyword management too much (one or two plug-ins have recently appeared), because in my experience automated tools are a great way to really mess up your keywording.

John
Pages: [1]   Go Up