Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Aptus 75 - Studio Product - Gain files?  (Read 4106 times)

MattLaver

• mattlaver.com
Aptus 75 - Studio Product - Gain files?
« on: March 15, 2007, 03:42:44 pm »

Hi Guys

I have a question for all you folks shooting Leafs on view cameras in the studio for product under flash lighting. I'm going to be shooting tethered to LC 8..... mostly for the Live Video View to give me focus and composition feedback and I wasn't sure about the use of Custom Gain files in the workflow.

If you are using some shifts and tilts do you find you need to do CG files to apply to your setups (my background is with wides for architecture) or is that less relevant with the more 'standard' lens lengths used in the studio. Or do you just do it anyway to make sure its all exact?

If you are doing CG files what do you find is the best way to achieve them? White plexi in front of the lens, the suplied diffuser disk(if big enough), or some other approach?

Also to get the 1.5 to 2 stops over needed for the CG when using flash do you just turn up the flash power, which is not always feasible, and if not what do you do instead, since you can't change the aperture and shutterspeed is less relevant? I assume changing the ISO would be detrimental to the file quality of the CG file?

Suggestions? Or is it just not relevant? TIA

Matt

pprdigital

• http://www.phaseone.com
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2007, 04:22:58 pm »

Hi Guys

I have a question for all you folks shooting Leafs on view cameras in the studio for product under flash lighting. I'm going to be shooting tethered to LC 8..... mostly for the Live Video View to give me focus and composition feedback and I wasn't sure about the use of Custom Gain files in the workflow.

If you are using some shifts and tilts do you find you need to do CG files to apply to your setups (my background is with wides for architecture) or is that less relevant with the more 'standard' lens lengths used in the studio. Or do you just do it anyway to make sure its all exact?

If you are doing CG files what do you find is the best way to achieve them? White plexi in front of the lens, the suplied diffuser disk(if big enough), or some other approach?

Also to get the 1.5 to 2 stops over needed for the CG when using flash do you just turn up the flash power, which is not always feasible, and if not what do you do instead, since you can't change the aperture and shutterspeed is less relevant? I assume changing the ISO would be detrimental to the file quality of the CG file?

Matt
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=106837\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Matt:

What Leaf back are you shooting with? You might not need to do anything. The CG is primarily used to eliminate color casts with wide lenses/movements, but if you have a 17MP or 22MP Leaf back, you likely won't run into that. Even with a 65 or 75, you may not. Best is to capture and if you see nothing - no harm no foul.

Steve Hendrix
PPR Digital
Steve Hendrix
[url=http://www.phaseone.c

E_Edwards

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2007, 04:27:10 pm »

I shoot two Leaf A65's in the studio using either Schneider or Rodenstock digitars in the range of 100, 120 Macro, 135, 150 and 180. I use fairly severe tilts and I have to say, I have noticed little and mainly no colour casts.

I used to have a bit of centrefold when using one of the backs horizontally and I used the white disc provided, used the built in calibration within the program, created the gain file, which I then saved to be set as the default when shooting under a particular lens/tilt/orientation and the centrefold problem was sorted.

Mysteriously, I haven't had the centrefolf problem for quite a while anyway, ever since I swapped cameras to be assiged to different setups, so I now use the Leaf default all the time, but creating gain files is very easy. I doubt you will need to do it in any case.

Despite the slowless in coming up with updated software, I am overall a happy Leaf user, a rare occurance in this forum. I use the backs constantly and daily, not a problem. The files are very good indeed  

Edward

berg

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2007, 06:05:48 pm »

Hi Guys

Matt

berg

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2007, 06:17:25 pm »

Hi Guys

Matt

I use A75 on CAMBO Ultima and WDS.
So far i have only had centerfold issues and CC with 24mm
I think you will have no problem with shorter lenses.
It seems that centerfold is a no issue on some lucky digital backs from Leaf.
best
berg

pixjohn

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2007, 06:52:23 pm »

I am stuck shooting a gain file on every shot because I have centerfold and now color cast with my 3rd?4th? Leaf Aptus 75.  I place a small strobe pointing directly at the lens with the diffuser on, about 12 to 18 inches away. With the small strobe I have enough light to capture the gain files.

I use A75 on CAMBO Ultima and WDS.
So far i have only had centerfold issues and CC with 24mm
I think you will have no problem with shorter lenses.
It seems that centerfold is a no issue on some lucky digital backs from Leaf.
best
berg
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=106875\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

berg, Its nice to hear someone not having any problems with an Aptus 75. I think I am on my fourth back and started to notice pixilation in images with blue sky. I am not sure if the gain file is causing this or something else?
« Last Edit: March 15, 2007, 06:53:42 pm by pixjohn »

berg

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2007, 07:01:19 pm »

I am stuck shooting a gain file on every shot because I have centerfold and now color cast with my 3rd?4th? Leaf Aptus 75.  I place a small strobe pointing directly at the lens with the diffuser on, about 12 to 18 inches away. With the small strobe I have enough light to capture the gain files.
berg, Its nice to hear someone not having any problems with an Aptus 75. I think I am on my fourth back and started to notice pixilation in images with blue sky. I am not sure if the gain file is causing this or something else?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=106878\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Maybe im lucky, i shoot indoor all the time, so you dont se the center fold as clearly. I think
the gain adjuster is a sensetive tool, i have had blurrish highlights with it.
I sometimes compare gain adjusted files with the original shot to se what happens.

berg

MattLaver

• mattlaver.com
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2007, 09:56:07 pm »

Hi Guys

Thanks for the reassuring replies. To answer a couple of questions I shoot with an Aptus 75 on WDS for architecture with 24/35/47 digitars, and on ARCA 6x9 with 47/58/90 Super-Angulon XLs (from my film days) and 120 Macro Digitar. I also have the Contax for people.

Most of my experience with the Aptus 75 is on the Cambo WDS, hence my view camera question. I guess I am one of the lucky ones as I haven't experienced the centrefold issue, but I don't often shoot above 100 iso. What I do get are the colour shifts with the 24xl, and 35, if pushed to its limits. So I guess I'm asking because I haven't had to incorporate much in the way of tilts before with the Aptus and so wasn't sure what to expect.

John, thanks for the suggestion of adding an extra light directly at the diffuser for the gain file if needed. Sometimes I miss the most straight forward solutions, worrying about the details.

Matt

yaya

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2007, 03:03:58 am »

Hi Guys

Thanks for the reassuring replies. To answer a couple of questions I shoot with an Aptus 75 on WDS for architecture with 24/35/47 digitars, and on ARCA 6x9 with 47/58/90 Super-Angulon XLs (from my film days) and 120 Macro Digitar. I also have the Contax for people.

Most of my experience with the Aptus 75 is on the Cambo WDS, hence my view camera question. I guess I am one of the lucky ones as I haven't experienced the centrefold issue, but I don't often shoot above 100 iso. What I do get are the colour shifts with the 24xl, and 35, if pushed to its limits. So I guess I'm asking because I haven't had to incorporate much in the way of tilts before with the Aptus and so wasn't sure what to expect.

John, thanks for the suggestion of adding an extra light directly at the diffuser for the gain file if needed. Sometimes I miss the most straight forward solutions, worrying about the details.

Matt
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=106893\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Matt, call me if you get stuck and I'll take you through the process in V8 or 10

Yair

MattLaver

• mattlaver.com
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2007, 07:44:45 am »

Thanks Yair, I appreciate that.

Any suggestions where I might get some suitable white perspex for the gain diffuser, when the supplied disk isn't big enough for the lens?

Matt
Pages: [1]   Go Up