Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: what are some good monitors  (Read 5569 times)

sceptacon

what are some good monitors
« on: March 14, 2007, 10:41:55 am »

I have an ok monitor at the moment which I have never calibrated or done anything radical to. I haven't needed to yet but as am looking to get into working with images and Photoshop seriously will have a need to soon.

don't really know much about about calibrating and profiling a monitor at all but seeing as it seems to be an essential process to working digitally with photos and art, I am going to invest in ColorEyes Display Pro software to enable me to do this professionally to take a step further to reducing associated problems with color expectations and output.

So along with coloreyes I am thinking, should I keep my current monitor - a CRT that's now 7-8 years old (don't know the brand it's a 'Diamond View'), or am I better purchasing a newer and more current monitor.

other thoughts:
- are LCD's better than CRT? for color accuracy and other factors?
- specifically are there monitors anyone can recommend (maker and model), to go for
- are there recognised features to look for in the monitor, that better enable color management setting up, calibrating and profiling, to help simplify and improve the overall process

if it's neither here nor there perhaps should keep what I've got but if the technological advancements mean I will be gaining a lot more by looking for a replacement, then it's an option. I will spend the money to get a better result and and easier management of activities. but there's a limit to the and will not spend massive dollars as it is just one item after all.

sceptacon

« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2007, 10:11:19 am »

uh - huh. ok I'll do some trawling then, righht.

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2007, 01:34:11 pm »

From what I've read here on  the LL forum, it seems that CRTs are essentially obsolete, and some kind of LCD is the way to go. If you want to spend less than $1000, you might want to look at some Samsung models, such as the SyncMaster 214T. I have its predecessor, the 213T, and I have been quite happy with it.

For more information on monitors and calibration I suggest you search the LL forum.

I hope this helps a little.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

macaddicted

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2007, 10:38:05 pm »

Having just completed this process myself I'll try to help. Of course we must start with the "calibration and profiling aren't the same statement." Having disposed of that...

As to your monitor it is hard to say without seeing it, or the feedback from a calibrator. I just received my NEC 2190UXi with the SpectraView II software. I was amazed how far out of whack the bundled software with my Monaco XR was compared to the SV II. Probably the best thing to do is buy the calibrator/profiler and check out the condiiton of your monitor.

If you decide to get a new monitor you are pretty much going to be limited to LCD; the parts necessary for high end CRTs are not being made anymore. The next thing you run into is LUTs, or Look Up Tables, for the monitors. More bits mean smoother displays, and many of the higher end monitors have hardware access by one means or another to the LUTs on the monitor. How much all of this is marketing hype I haven't been able to determine.

As to the display itself generally the quality goes IPS->*VA->TN. A good article can be found here:
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/other/dis.../lcd-guide.html

Two sites that give info about which panel is in a particular monitor can be found here:
http://www.flatpanels.dk/panels.php
http://aryarya.net/wassyoi/lcdmemo.html

As to brands, it's hard to go against Eizo if you have the money to spend. LaCie, NEC and Samsung all make good monitors at a variety of prices (being a mac fan I just can't recommend Dell   ). It depends on what size you want, how much you want to spend, and what features you desire. Models? Try Eizo CG or CE series, Lacie 321, NEC xx90UXi (up to 26 inches!), Samsung 214T or 244T (given the original price the 244T looks like a really good buy). Samsung has also released the XL20 with LED instead of CCFL lighting (if you can find one) at a great price for LED monitors. Give a really wide gamut (All the Adobe RBG space if the press release is to be believed.) All will cost over $1000 (the Eizo CGs are mostly over $2000) except the Samsung 214T/244T. Some come with their own calibrators, others can use different brands (Optix, Spyder, i1).

Take your time, do your research, and you will find they one for you.

Andrew Larkin

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2007, 05:54:34 am »

I have been rather impressed by the Samsung 931C wide-gamut monitor.  This monitor is sitting around $430 street price in Australia (seems down around US$280 street price).

The attachment shows a gamut plot of the 931C (wireframe) compared with the Samsung 204Ts which has been my workhorse LCD for the last year.  The chart is from ColorThink and is showing the profiles of the two monitors as of today.

The 931C spiel clames 97% of NTSC colour space, but I suspect some deception here as it is a "2D" value.

Regardless, the monitor is showing a remarkable improvement in gamut over all my prior monitors.

Andrew

Thomas Krüger

• http://thomaskrueger.eu
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2007, 08:36:21 am »

« Last Edit: March 29, 2007, 09:09:34 am by ThomasK »

convergent

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2007, 09:39:53 pm »

I'm not sure what you are looking to spend, but I just pulled the trigger and ordered the new Dell 30" 3007WFP-HC LCD.  The older Dell was the same as the Mac 30", and this is much improved.  The original one was 72% of the NTSC color gamut, where this one is 92%.  It is an S-IPS monitor as well.  I got it for $1332.50 with free shipping and 90 days deferred payment... plus NY sales tax of course.  From what I've heard, this is a great monitor for photo editing, although not in the league with the high end Ezios.

sceptacon

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2007, 12:24:44 pm »

alright now I have to look for an LCD and I'll use the framework provided by you to do some more looking and arrive at a monitor to update the onie I have now. I'm sure I can keep my old then to use as a second screen (exactly what for I don't know but I'm sure it'll come in handy - to monitor jobs on the process being outputted?)

30 inch monitor holy crap is that how big the top end is

good thoughts and the links I haven't picked up but will read now. thanks
Pages: [1]   Go Up