Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Anyone Handled A P+ Back Yet?  (Read 10834 times)

Mort54

• http://
Anyone Handled A P+ Back Yet?
« on: March 14, 2007, 10:36:13 am »

Hi all. Has anyone actually handled and used a Phase + back yet? Is so, how is the new and improved LCD screen? And are there really any improvements in noise?

Hans.
I Reject Your Reality And Substitute My

Ed Jack

« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2007, 05:25:38 am »

Hi all. Has anyone actually handled and used a Phase + back yet? Is so, how is the new and improved LCD screen? And are there really any improvements in noise?

Hans.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=106599\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

One would assume that Michael would get "the first throw of the dice", although it seems a beta unit was NOT chucked his way in time for the Antarctic!
 Certainly if Iso 400/800 is made totally "clean", it really does make digital backs as flexible as D-SLRs and opens up hand held shooting etc...
  The long exposure thing sounds nice... we all like to dabble in light paining now and then!

I wonder if the P45+ will have an extended  iso 800 (or do I mean iso 1600) using the pixel binning method that the P25 does ? I can't imagine why they wouldn't implement this.

Ed
« Last Edit: March 15, 2007, 05:30:37 am by Ed Jack »

michael

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2007, 07:27:21 am »

No, no P45+ in Antarctica, and no sign of a review sample yet, though I have been promised one as soon as available.

When it shows up I'll let people know, though it will take a little while to put it through its paces.

I leave for the Amazon on April 14, just under a month from now. Hopefully I'll have it for that shoot.

Michael
« Last Edit: March 15, 2007, 07:27:36 am by michael »

awofinden

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2007, 08:56:52 am »

But I'm sure my dealer promised me it would be available in February!!

william

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2007, 02:26:03 pm »

The latest word form my dealer is that it may be early summer before the Plus backs start to ship.

hubell

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2007, 04:21:39 pm »

The latest word form my dealer is that it may be early summer before the Plus backs start to ship.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=107054\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Will it be before or after the announcement of the P45++?

Mark_Tucker

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2007, 05:18:08 pm »

Will it be before or after the announcement of the P45++?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=107074\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Howard, Howard, now you know that that is below you. I know you, and I know how you were raised. You are a gentleman. You'd reply like that, even though Paul didn't make the prior post...?

hubell

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2007, 07:08:16 pm »

Howard, Howard, now you know that that is below you. I know you, and I know how you were raised. You are a gentleman. You'd reply like that, even though Paul didn't make the prior post...?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=107083\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Mark, if Paul had made the same observation about the delay in the shipping date for the Plus Series backs from Phase, he would have "explained" why it was all Hassleblad's fault, or at least found an opening for a diatribe.

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2007, 09:19:44 am »

The current backs seem to work ok - do people really want the new bugs that come with a new product ?

Any ++ backs will only get announced when Canon drops the other shoe, I believe. That's the day Dalsa and Kodak will commit their chip fab orders.

Edmund
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

eronald

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2007, 09:23:24 am »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=107054\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

South hemisphere summer  ?

Edmund
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

Mark_Tucker

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2007, 12:56:04 pm »

Mark, if Paul had made the same observation about the delay in the shipping date for the Plus Series backs from Phase, he would have "explained" why it was all Hassleblad's fault, or at least found an opening for a diatribe.

Howard,

Look at the upside -- Paul might not agree with your viewpoints in all cases, but at least he's a real photographer, shooting actual photographs, in real jobs, with these digital backs, unlike so many other comments that show up in this forum.

william

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2007, 01:01:23 pm »

Has my comment about the early summer shipping date generated all this angst, or am I missing some backstory here?

Howard,

Look at the upside -- Paul might not agree with your viewpoints in all cases, but at least he's a real photographer, shooting actual photographs, in real jobs, with these digital backs, unlike so many other comments that show up in this forum.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=107181\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
« Last Edit: March 17, 2007, 01:01:35 pm by william »

rainer_v

• http://www.tangential.de
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2007, 01:05:00 pm »

Howard,

arent you a little bit exaggerating this idea that so less people here own mf backs ( is the percentage of real  " mf users " higher in your selected figthclubbians  ) ?
most i am meeting and discussing here own and use some mf digi backs -  and several people here have more than just nice photographic backgrounds.......
« Last Edit: March 17, 2007, 01:05:40 pm by rehnniar »
rainer viertlböck
architecture photograp

michael

« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2007, 02:27:47 pm »

Any ++ backs will only get announced when Canon drops the other shoe, I believe. That's the day Dalsa and Kodak will commit their chip fab orders.

Edmund
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=107161\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Edmund – you say this with some authority, yet you're simply wrong on both counts.

Michael

James Russell

« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2007, 03:45:52 pm »

Edmund – you say this with some authority, yet you're simply wrong on both counts.

Michael
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=107194\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Edmund,

I agree with Michael.

I don't know squat about Kodak or Dalsa, but I know on good autorhity the Plus will come out when it's right, regardless of what Canon does.

Phase is well aware of how quickly "on the street" news spreads when there are issues and they know that it better be right, or it better wait.

I'm in line for the p-30 plus, but it's not leaving my hands until the Plus is proven, mainly because the current P-30 does just about anything you would want.

JR

Blair Bunting

« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2007, 04:10:42 pm »

I’m a bit confused why people are getting bitchy about the release of the plus series.  I take it that these people have yet to shoot with a regular P series back?  Like James, I have no problem holding on to the regular P for however long it takes to iron out any kinks that show up.

In regards to Canon having any influence, I don’t think there is any validity to this at all; it’s not even the same market. With the p30 and p45 where they are currently at (without the +)  there is already no comparison.

William.Rennaker

« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2007, 05:17:09 pm »

The current backs seem to work ok - do people really want the new bugs that come with a new product ?

Edmund
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=107161\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Edmund,

Can you please tell me which back you are currently using? Does your current back have bugs, issues problems?

Or is it as I suspect, you are NOT even using a medium format digital back.

I am not being as diplomatic as Michael or James, I just don;t get your point.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2007, 05:21:00 pm by William.Rennaker »

hubell

« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2007, 06:46:44 pm »

Howard,

I never look for agreement with my viewpoint. Very limiting. There are a lot of people out there that  know a lot more than I do about so many things, and I am very grateful for their insights and sharing of experiences. OTOH, I am always suspicious of people who consistently seem to have an axe to grind that compromises their credibility, whether they take photographs for a living or do something else. You should be as well.
It's interesting what started this exchange: a joke about the release date for the P+ series backs. Hmmmm? Do you have a dog in that hunt? For the record, I don't.

yodelyo

« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2007, 08:10:09 pm »

not sure why some of you guys are wasting your time quibbling online, i have an actual legitimate question; I want to purchase the P21 back when it comes out but my colleague says that the P series backs are giving him alot of Moire issues when he shoots fashion, which is what i will be shooting, DOES ANYONE KNOW IF THE PLUS SERIES BACKS WILL ADDRESS THE MOIRE ISSUE?

eronald

« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2007, 08:28:47 pm »

Michael
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=107194\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Michael,

I am sure you're right in criticizing me - however please get the criticism right : I typed (++) above, not (+), in response to an earlier poster, hcubeII who also typed (++). In other words, both I and the earlier poster are referring to *conjectured* next generation non announced products, not the well-defined and impatiently awaited P+ series. If you have hard information on such (++) products, we're all ears  
 As regards the + I have no doubt that they will appear within a few months, maybe just a little late, and they will indeed work as described once they're out of the teething period. Up to now, Phase has been pretty good at actually delivering what they advertise, although they do advertise it a bit prematurely. I see no reason for this to change.

James,
 We both learned the lesson with the 1Ds - 1DsII transition, I think

Edmund
« Last Edit: March 17, 2007, 08:42:22 pm by eronald »
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up