Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Urgent Monitor advice!?!  (Read 4822 times)

ricgal

Urgent Monitor advice!?!
« on: March 11, 2007, 03:51:33 pm »

My monitor blew up today and my cashflow is not good-  I need one for workingf as a photographer and giclee printer-
 I have found a iyama 19 In Vision Pro454 DTR 0.25 130kHz TCO99 CRT which looks similar to what i ahave at present or I could spend twice the money on a bottom of the range NEC Spectraview or Eizo slimedge TFT
Is it worth going for the TFT or should i stick with trusted CRT
I know top spec TFT's are good but untll smeone pays me i am going to have to go for something mnore affordable
Advice greatly appreciated
www.ricbower.com- Art and Fashion Photog

Thomas Krüger

• http://thomaskrueger.eu
Urgent Monitor advice!?!
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2007, 05:08:51 pm »

What about the mid-prized Samsung 214T or the bigger Samsung 244T ?

ricgal

Urgent Monitor advice!?!
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2007, 05:25:24 pm »

What about the mid-prized Samsung 214T or the bigger Samsung 244T ?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=106083\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Cheers I will check it out

ricgal

Urgent Monitor advice!?!
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2007, 06:09:04 pm »

Cheers I will check it out
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=106086\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
The reviews look good, Any idea how it compares to the NEC and Eizo for colour accuracy?
« Last Edit: March 11, 2007, 06:10:00 pm by ricgal »

tbonanno

• Tony Bonanno Photography, LLC
Urgent Monitor advice!?!
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2007, 02:23:55 am »

My monitor blew up today and my cashflow is not good-  I need one for workingf as a photographer and giclee printer-
 I have found a iyama 19 In Vision Pro454 DTR 0.25 130kHz TCO99 CRT which looks similar to what i ahave at present or I could spend twice the money on a bottom of the range NEC Spectraview or Eizo slimedge TFT
Is it worth going for the TFT or should i stick with trusted CRT
I know top spec TFT's are good but untll smeone pays me i am going to have to go for something mnore affordable
Advice greatly appreciated
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=106074\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I recently went through the transition of CRT to LCD and tried several different models (Samsung, Apple Cinema Display, NEC, etc.).  I chose the NEC 2190uxi.

In my opinion, you cannot go wrong with an NEC 90 series uxi panel, for example the 2090uxi, 2190uxi, 2490uxi, etc.  This series has a 12 bit LUT built into the hardware.  With the Spectraview II software and an Eye One or Monaco OptixXR colorimeter, you will be very pleased with the color accuracy.  Keep in mind that all of these displays are pretty much restricted to sRGB color gamut.  However, NEC has just introduced the 2690uxi which claims 93% of the AdobeRGB gamut for under 2K.  The full AdobeRGB gamut models from NEC and Eizo are generally over 6k.  Rumor has it that Samsung is shipping an AdobeRGB display for about 2K also.

For me, the 2190uxi was the sweet spot in terms of color accuracy and features vs price (for the photo/graphics pro).

I had a Samsung 214T for a few weeks.  It is a nice general purpose monitor, well built, nice features,  but it is not in the same league for accuracy and color gradation as the NEC 90 series.

Tony Bonanno
« Last Edit: March 12, 2007, 02:39:13 am by tbonanno »
Tony Bonanno Photography
ASMP Profession

Panascape

Urgent Monitor advice!?!
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2007, 03:30:03 am »

MY 2 cents worth, and I know some my disagree, but I have numerous HP Pro line LCD's and they are really great.

ricgal

Urgent Monitor advice!?!
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2007, 05:01:48 am »

Thanks to you all
I had to make a fast decision and have gone for a NEC Spectraview 19"  I will let you know how it goes!!!!

ricgal

Urgent Monitor advice!?!
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2007, 07:45:05 pm »

The 19" Spectraview turned up today-  very crisp and seems very accurate so far once profiled-  res a bit budget but i could not stertch to the 21".
Interestingly the APS for the HP z3100 is building much better profiles for it than the fancy profiling software NEC send out with the monitor-  (examined for range in Gamutview)  Loads of options but lacking in the lower luminence regions-  idiotproof the HP software seems to be but it seems to work!
Monitor output very strictly limited tosRGB-  hope I do'nt ever need to softproof green painted doors layed out on a freshly cut lawn with children in greeny blue pixy oufits dancing on them!
Pages: [1]   Go Up