Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Redbuds in Shenandoah NP  (Read 2259 times)

Kuryan Thomas

Redbuds in Shenandoah NP
« on: March 10, 2007, 11:53:27 pm »

I'm ashamed to say that, despite having lived in Virginia for 27 years, I've never been to Shenandoah NP. It must be contempt for the familiar. I split my time between Blacksburg and Fairfax, so I literally drive by the Skyline Drive once a month or so on I-66.

Anyway, I've decided to atone for this sin of omission by spending 4 days in the park in the last week of April. I checked with the park and they said the best times for redbud will be mid to late April. I'm looking to contrast the pastel pink of redbud with the almost fluorescent green of Virginian hardwood forests in the spring.

Can anyone point me to particularly lush stands of redbud in the park? I don't mind moderate hiking.

Thank you very much.

Geoff Wittig

Redbuds in Shenandoah NP
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2007, 11:47:53 am »

I'm not that familiar with Shenandoah NP as I live in rural western New York, but my daughter attended JMU in Harrisonburg for 4 years and I got to know that area pretty well. If you head west from Harrisonburg on route 33 into West Virginia, you soon come across numerous stands of redbud right along the roadside. Some of these stands are interspersed with dogwood, others take up entire hillsides. Attached is a photo I took there last year. I'm actually headed back next month to try doing better.

Mike Louw

• http://www.dreaminglight.com
Redbuds in Shenandoah NP
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2007, 03:24:38 pm »

I'll be in Shenandoah for 3 to 4 days in the 3rd week of May (never been there before). I'd also appreciate any pointers re good places/times to shoot.

TIA

Mike
« Last Edit: March 18, 2007, 03:24:54 pm by mikelouw »
Pages: [1]   Go Up