Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Crop for printing?  (Read 2047 times)

seafoodbuffet

Crop for printing?
« on: March 10, 2007, 10:01:21 pm »

Pardon this beginner question. I have a whole bunch of photos that I'd like to print to various sizes (5x7, 8x10, etc). Since they are different in height/width ratios, print the exact same image to those two different sizes means one or the other image will get cropped once it's printed.

Rather than having the photo printing place decide how to crop, I'd like to be able to crop my pictures ahead of time so that they print correctly for a given size. Problem is, how do I correctly crop an image so that it prints to say 8x10 without additional cropping? I don't have a printer so I can't just print test pages and I suppose I could just count the image's pixel height/width ratio but there MUST be a better way?

seafoodbuffet

Crop for printing?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2007, 11:31:23 pm »

Wow, terribly bad to have to answer my own question....
The FAQ section from lightroom-extra.com really out to be required reading, there's quite a bit of good stuff. Anyway, as it were, the answer is that in the once you select the crop tool, you can set the crop to maintain a particular aspect ratio. There's presets for various sizes like 4x6, 5x7, 8x10, etc. You can also create custom ones if you need to print on exotic paper (keep in mind though that this is a ratio and not the actual size. Thus, no need to create an 8x12 since that's the same as 4x6)...

Hope that helps someone else...

Pardon this beginner question. I have a whole bunch of photos that I'd like to print to various sizes (5x7, 8x10, etc). Since they are different in height/width ratios, print the exact same image to those two different sizes means one or the other image will get cropped once it's printed.

Rather than having the photo printing place decide how to crop, I'd like to be able to crop my pictures ahead of time so that they print correctly for a given size. Problem is, how do I correctly crop an image so that it prints to say 8x10 without additional cropping? I don't have a printer so I can't just print test pages and I suppose I could just count the image's pixel height/width ratio but there MUST be a better way?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=105961\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Pages: [1]   Go Up