Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Batch Scanning 35mm color slides  (Read 3956 times)

lfranga

Batch Scanning 35mm color slides
« on: March 10, 2007, 11:27:40 am »

Hello

I am new to the forum and would appreciate some advice.  I have about 10,000 35mm color slides I want to scan and I bought a Nikon SuperCoolscan 4000 and have starting scanning them individually using the latest Nikon software.  Forget that, it will take me an eternity!  I did some research on the web and just learned you can purchase an adapter for to batch scan which I am thinking about doing.  For anyone who has had experience with this process, would you mind giving me any advice you can regarding the process.  What is your workflow? When do you make color corrections, etc. etc.  I don't want to spend the rest of my life just scanning these slides.  My goal is to scan them to put on a website and eventually sell fine art prints of those which I sell on the website.  Any advice anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated!!  Thanking you in advance.

Lowell

framah

« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2007, 12:36:31 pm »

Not sure how much this will be...

I also have a coolscan 4000 and bought the SF-210 batch scanner. It will hold around 50 slides at a time. It's been a while since I used it and now have more to scan. The nice thing about it is that once you set it up, you can go do other things and it automatically scans and sends the file to where ever you tell it. You do have to watch what type of slide carrier you have. You can move a setting to adapt it for different thickness carriers. Plastic being thinner than the cardboard ones, sometimes 2 slides will be pushed into the trough and jam it up.
So my advice is to only scan all of the same type of carrier at one time.
Other than that, it is a real time saver!!

I don't do any corrections in the scanner but in PS when I open them up.
"It took a  lifetime of suffering and personal sacrifice to develop my keen aesthetic sense."

lfranga

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2007, 06:18:19 am »

Appreciate your response!

Not sure how much this will be...

I also have a coolscan 4000 and bought the SF-210 batch scanner. It will hold around 50 slides at a time. It's been a while since I used it and now have more to scan. The nice thing about it is that once you set it up, you can go do other things and it automatically scans and sends the file to where ever you tell it. You do have to watch what type of slide carrier you have. You can move a setting to adapt it for different thickness carriers. Plastic being thinner than the cardboard ones, sometimes 2 slides will be pushed into the trough and jam it up.
So my advice is to only scan all of the same type of carrier at one time.
Other than that, it is a real time saver!!

I don't do any corrections in the scanner but in PS when I open them up.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=106266\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

mcmorrison

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2007, 10:17:06 am »

Hello,

I use the LS5000 with the automatic slide feeder. I have had good results, and agree about using only one type, or similar types, of slide mounts at a time.

One gotcha that took me a while to figure out is that a slide will often "catch" as it is on its way into the scanner. It turns out it is catching on the next slide in the "in" tray. The solution is to simply pull the "in" stack of slides back just a bit to free the current slide to continue into the scanner. You have only a few seconds to do this before the scan is canceled, and you will have to restart scanner and software. Sometimes I will go through 100 slides with no catch, and other times it will be every other slide.

Also, I have found that none of my attempts at profiling the scanner yield results as good as Nikon's internal color management. This is somewhat frustrating because I would like to do the conversion out of the scanner's space, rather than letting Nikon do it, but the reality seems to be that they do a better job. It seems that they have built-in calibrating routines (every few slides), and conversions that work hand-in-glove with the hardware.

I typically scan to Adobe 1998 (though the scanner can be fooled to convert to ProPhoto), use Digital ICE for dust and scratch (either normal or fine), have auto focus and auto exposure ON, and pretty much nothing else, doing all other adjustments in PS.

Other than the occasional slide feed issues I have had a good experience. For the purposes you describe I would scan in 16-bit TIFF, at 2x or 4x sampling. At 4000 dpi, these will take 3 or so minutes each

I do find flare to be an issue when there is a very low density area next to a high density area. Though dust on the mirror is supposed to be a contributor to this, I have noticed it from the outset. Perhaps it is worse now? I haven't made the comparison. Neither have I had the mirror cleaned. . . At the times when flare is an issue, I have simply addressed it in PS.

Best Regards,

Michael Morrison
Pages: [1]   Go Up