Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Digital Workflow  (Read 4166 times)

Colorado David

Digital Workflow
« on: March 08, 2007, 09:18:11 am »

I began making the switch to digital in 2004.  Since then I have taken the batteries out of my film bodies and put them on the shelf and have begun having my chrome scanned for the digital world.  I work with Nikon Capture NX, Photoshop, and a filing system I developed myself.  I have found that in regards to the digital workflow, everyone kind of cobbles together something that works for them in the type of business they do.  There really isn't a model that photographers can look at as an industry standard and modify to their own needs.  So with that in mind, I want to pick everyone's brain about their digital workflow.  What do you do from uploading your images to file/search/submission, and what caused you to choose the workflow and software that you are using?

This forum may have already delt with these issues but I'm new here.  I have a good friend and colleague who made the switch to digital more recently than I did and he is really challenged by the workflow issue.  It's a bigger issue for him with nearly 200,000 images still in slide files in his library.  Thanks for your help.

Best regards,
David
« Last Edit: March 08, 2007, 09:18:57 am by Colorado David »

Serge Cashman

Digital Workflow
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2007, 07:19:38 pm »

Here's what i do for events photography (to process several hundred images quickly):

Download and add copyright info using Nikon View, store folders by the shooting date.

Look through images in Nikon View and select the ones I will process .

Copy selected  files to be processed to a Projects folder under a client  or event name and date. Devide into subfolders if event had different stages (ceremony, reception, formal shots...).

Process using Nikon Capture 4.4 (don't like NX) using the multiple image processing option. Copy and paste a lot of settings and save some presets to reuse across the project. Mostly adjust white balance, exposure, curves and sometimes LCH curves. Save adjustments into the NEF files themselves (a bit problematic from future-proofness point of view).

Use Nikon View to convert to best quality jpgs with an option to convert to sRGB. Then convert to jpgs once again -  this time small with medium quality for web use and emails.

Burn folders with both types of jpgs to a DVD to deliver to the client. FTP to a gallery for a client to look at, share, download, order prints.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2007, 07:20:30 pm by Serge Cashman »

Colorado David

Digital Workflow
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2007, 11:36:39 am »

Thanks very much for your reply.

Best regards,
David

jorgedelfino

• http://www.jorgedelfino.com
Digital Workflow
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2007, 12:14:43 pm »

This is what I do (events-weddings),
Download pictures using firewire-card reader right into a "new proyect", (Aperture), proyect is name after date-time. (album name after costumer),
Process, edit, rate pictures, (using 1 to 5 stars),
Filter the pictures using the star rating, export to folders, burn CD/DVD, or load using "fetch" (a few will be exported to photoshop for aditional process).
end!  

forgot, wait for the check!

Colorado David

Digital Workflow
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2007, 12:23:42 pm »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=106451\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

In the timeless words of Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers; The waiting is the hardest part.  
« Last Edit: March 13, 2007, 12:23:59 pm by Colorado David »

jorgedelfino

• http://www.jorgedelfino.com
Digital Workflow
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2007, 01:22:24 pm »

In the timeless words of Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers; The waiting is the hardest part. 
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=106455\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I wonder if they ever going to make a "software" solution for that timeless problem!

Serge Cashman

Digital Workflow
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2007, 10:51:55 pm »

I wonder if they ever going to make a "software" solution for that timeless problem!
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=106474\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

There's Paypal

So, you actually process stuff before filtering?

Gayyath

Digital Workflow
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2007, 10:47:10 pm »

This is what I do (events-weddings),
Download pictures using firewire-card reader right into a "new proyect", (Aperture), proyect is name after date-time. (album name after costumer),
Process, edit, rate pictures, (using 1 to 5 stars),
Filter the pictures using the star rating, export to folders, burn CD/DVD, or load using "fetch" (a few will be exported to photoshop for aditional process).
end!  

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=106451\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hi well you please tell me what Criterion you use to give 1-5 stars?
thanks
Pages: [1]   Go Up