Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson 3800 Notes and FAQ  (Read 25869 times)

boku

• http://www.bobkulonphoto.com
Epson 3800 Notes and FAQ
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2007, 08:02:04 pm »

Didn't know if you got resolution on this issue but I don't think it's your router/switch.

Back in December when I first got my Epson 3800 it worked perfectly on my Linksys 100base-T network: Linksys WRT54GS 2.2 router with Linksys 8port switches.

In Feb I upgraded my home network to Gigabit using Netgear and D-Link switches.

I just noticed that status monitor wasn't working (I hadn't printed for a month or so due to projects heating up..

Just to make sure it was the network I went back to the Linksys 100mb setup to get it working again, no luck. I replaced all my Cat5 cables between the printer, router and computer, still no luck. I direct connected my Linksys router (which had worked with Status Monitor and the printer back in Dec), still wouldn't work now. I went to a laptop with a Intel network chipset(my desktop is a Marvell network chipset), still nada. I put my computer on a Linksys switch (that had worked with the printer in Dec.) with just the printer on it also, still no luck. I also tried a Netgear, D-Link and an Intel switch, still nothing. I then tried a crossed cable direct to the laptop and my main desktop again without any success.

BTW, with all the setups the printer could ping, receive and print. I also could bring up the Printer's config webpage and Epson Remote configuration worked but remote Panel, Firmware updates and Status monitor would not work.

I am really thinking it is a flaky card in the printer.

GB
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=109252\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I'll make it even more mysterious --- I installed the printer on another computer on the network (a notebook connected only by wifi). Guess what? The status monitor was functional on that machine. Still on the main desktop, no go. I reinstalled the driver on the desktop. Still no go. I use the same Linksys router - that was my original setup. I added a Netgear Gigabit switch and ran all the Ethernet stuff through it, no change. It prints, but that's it. The notebook on wifi continues to be fully functional.

This tells me the printer driver setup on the half-functional desktop is running in a flawed environment.

Both machines use the standard Windows software firewall and Kaspersky anti-virus. I'm thinking it is a firewall setting, but I don't know where to start. I see identical setting on each machine.
Bob Kulon

Oh, one more thing...[b

Greybard

Epson 3800 Notes and FAQ
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2007, 09:19:29 pm »

I'll make it even more mysterious --- I installed the printer on another computer on the network (a notebook connected only by wifi). Guess what? The status monitor was functional on that machine. Still on the main desktop, no go. I reinstalled the driver on the desktop. Still no go. I use the same Linksys router - that was my original setup. I added a Netgear Gigabit switch and ran all the Ethernet stuff through it, no change. It prints, but that's it. The notebook on wifi continues to be fully functional.

This tells me the printer driver setup on the half-functional desktop is running in a flawed environment.

Both machines use the standard Windows software firewall and Kaspersky anti-virus. I'm thinking it is a firewall setting, but I don't know where to start. I see identical setting on each machine.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=109259\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Ok, let's try to analyze this...

On your experience I tried on two laptops with no success.

I had the Laptops connect to the Linksys WRT54GS mentioned previously as working with my 3800 in the past.

Laptop #1: XP pro SP2 with a Linksys WPC11 wireless card.
I also tried to connect to the printer with an Intel Buscard2 wired network card with no success.

Laptop #2: Also with XP pro and SP2 with an Intel 3200 chipset centrino setup.
I also tried to use this laptop's build-in Intel LAN chipset.

Desktop #1: Marvell LAN chipset, no link even with direct connect.
Desktop#2: Also a Marvell LAN Chipset, also no connection.

I tried to connect to the printer with the following routers: Netgear 1gb 5port rounter, Linksys 100mbit 8port router(which worked in the past), an Intel 100mbit 5port router and a D-Link 1gb 8port router.

What is the brands and setup of the wireless to printer that you got working?

Perhaps this is a brand hardware/driver incompatibility.

schaubild

Epson 3800 Notes and FAQ
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2007, 08:06:43 am »

Thanks a lot for the information, it defintely helped for my decision to upgrade from a 2400.

Greybard

Epson 3800 Notes and FAQ
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2007, 09:19:49 am »

Thanks a lot for the information, it defintely helped for my decision to upgrade from a 2400.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=109340\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Don't judge the 3800 too harshly...

It looks like the 4800 and others in the Epson line have this problem with status monitor.

I actually do love my 3800, it has excellent output and Epson support is quite good.

I am sure this is just a glitch that can be tracked down and fixed, we just need data to find the common sources of conflict that is causing the network issues.

DiaAzul

• http://photo.tanzo.org/
Epson 3800 Notes and FAQ
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2007, 04:09:31 pm »

I am sure this is just a glitch that can be tracked down and fixed, we just need data to find the common sources of conflict that is causing the network issues.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=109355\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Have you configured the Epson 3800 with a static IP address or are you relying upon DHCP to allocate a random IP address to the printer? If Status Monitor caches the IP address and the printer changes IP address then it could loose visibility of the printer unless the cached address is updated.

Secondly, have you configured all your computers and the printer to be in the same windows workgroup? If status monitor is using windows discovery this will impact on how fast/long/accurately it takes to discover the printer.

Thirdly, if status monitor is using uPNP can you find the printer in my network places - it should come up as a uPNP device. Double clicking the icon will bring up the printer web page. Ensure that your network and computers is handling uPNP and not blocking it somewhere.

Just a couple of suggestions - can't say for definite what your problem is as I do not share the same difficulties.
David Plummer    http://photo.tanzo.org/

boku

Epson 3800 Notes and FAQ
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2007, 04:26:23 pm »

Have you configured the Epson 3800 with a static IP address or are you relying upon DHCP to allocate a random IP address to the printer? If Status Monitor caches the IP address and the printer changes IP address then it could loose visibility of the printer unless the cached address is updated.

Secondly, have you configured all your computers and the printer to be in the same windows workgroup? If status monitor is using windows discovery this will impact on how fast/long/accurately it takes to discover the printer.

Thirdly, if status monitor is using uPNP can you find the printer in my network places - it should come up as a uPNP device. Double clicking the icon will bring up the printer web page. Ensure that your network and computers is handling uPNP and not blocking it somewhere.

Just a couple of suggestions - can't say for definite what your problem is as I do not share the same difficulties.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=109441\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Good points -

1) DHCP. I thought about using static IP, but when the notebook I added worked fine I never pursued that.

2) Same workgroup.

3) I'll look into that.
Bob Kulon

Oh, one more thing...[b

Greybard

Epson 3800 Notes and FAQ
« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2007, 04:48:36 pm »

Mine is on a static IP always has been.

Yes, they are on the same workgroup and in fact I can browse and see the printer server on the the workgroup, it will ask for a driver and can attach. But Status monitor is not working.

UPNP is set on the Router, computer and printer, I can browse in network neighborhood and invoke the printer but still no ink status in status monitor nor can I see firmware levels or check printer status.

With those people that are working can you confirm your router brand model, the brand and model of any switches and what network card is in the computer you are using to run status monitor.

It might be a certain network chipset,  brand of router or brand of network card driver that is causing the problems.

Update: I just discovered that you don't even need a cross-over cable with this printer, plug in any CAT5 and it is able to work, just set up a new IP with no gateway and set up the computer with another IP on the same subnet  and you have communication.

Status Monitor still doesn't work but it prints beautifully...

So that removed the router, cables and switches from the equation and I have now tried 3 NICs, what next?
« Last Edit: March 29, 2007, 06:20:23 pm by Greybard »

madmanchan

• Web
Epson 3800 Notes and FAQ
« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2007, 07:35:06 pm »

Hi, I'm using a Linksys wireless router WRT54GL.

Ethernet firmware: 1.01.

Printer firmware: o0146B.

Windows XP SP2.

This is quite puzzling to me since I've tried two different 3800's (with different printer firmware revision numbers) on the same router and bidirectional communication work with both.

Sorry for the basic question, but I'm assuming you're following the network setup instructions as outlined in the Printer Guide?
Eric Chan

Greybard

Epson 3800 Notes and FAQ
« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2007, 08:35:12 pm »

Hi, I'm using a Linksys wireless router WRT54GL.

Ethernet firmware: 1.01.

Printer firmware: o0146B.

Windows XP SP2.

This is quite puzzling to me since I've tried two different 3800's (with different printer firmware revision numbers) on the same router and bidirectional communication work with both.

Sorry for the basic question, but I'm assuming you're following the network setup instructions as outlined in the Printer Guide?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=109497\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yes, to the letter:
Set up the TCP/IP port in server config under printers and faxes.
Installed Epson drivers using the new port.

What brand of NIC does the computer you are able to connect with have?

That might prove I have a defective printer.

Greybard

Epson 3800 Notes and FAQ
« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2007, 01:17:13 pm »

Hello all,

I am working with a few other 3800 owners to try and figure out why the Status Monitor is a hit or miss when getting it working on a TCP/IP network with Windows XP SP2...

Can someone with it working reply with your port setting (are you using LPR or Raw, port number, stuff like that).

Also what brand of network card and router are you using (firmware revs would be also nice but if you don't have them at least it could give is a hint on this issue).

Thanks all!

madmanchan

• Web
Epson 3800 Notes and FAQ
« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2007, 04:53:45 pm »

I have also been working (though slowly) to track this down.

Mine is working, so I'll provide some additional input here.

Windows XP SP2.

NIC: Intel® PRO/1000 CT Network Connection

Router: Linksys WRT54GL

3800 printer firmware: o0146B (November 14, 2006) -- note, this is newer than the latest firmware listed on the epson site

3800 network firmware: 1.01

A screenshot of the ports:

http://people.csail.mit.edu/ericchan/tmp/p...rverexample.jpg

This screen is what I see when I go to Start menu -> Printers and Faxes, then go to File menu and choose Server Properties, then click on the Ports tab.

Notice in particular that the Description field says Standard TCP/IP Port and that the Port name is the Printer Server Name shown on page 2 of the network status sheet.

When I then click on the Configure Port... button, I then get this screen:

http://people.csail.mit.edu/ericchan/tmp/p...gureexample.jpg

(Note that I did not enter any of this information here manually.)

I am using the DHCP option for the printer network setup. That is, in Step 7 on page 16 of the Printer Guide, I selected Auto on the printer.
Eric Chan

madmanchan

• Web
Epson 3800 Notes and FAQ
« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2007, 04:55:08 pm »

Additional info:

I have Windows Firewall enabled. File and Printer Sharing is checked on the list of Exceptions. I think everything else is as the defaults.
Eric Chan

boku

Epson 3800 Notes and FAQ
« Reply #32 on: April 04, 2007, 03:04:24 pm »

I have two machines on the same network, like I said before. One displays the status monitor, one doesn't. My comment is not technical...

Why isn't Epson doing something about this? Obviously the software works sometime and not others.

So, it is designed to work, not an unsupported feature.
Bob Kulon

Oh, one more thing...[b

madmanchan

• Web
Epson 3800 Notes and FAQ
« Reply #33 on: April 04, 2007, 04:30:43 pm »

I agree, Bob, it's weird. According to a comment I read elsewhere, Epson is aware of the problem but is having trouble pinning it down. Don't know what the status of a fix is, or whether they even plan to fix it.
Eric Chan

Greybard

Epson 3800 Notes and FAQ
« Reply #34 on: April 04, 2007, 05:02:46 pm »

I have two machines on the same network, like I said before. One displays the status monitor, one doesn't. My comment is not technical...

Why isn't Epson doing something about this? Obviously the software works sometime and not others.

So, it is designed to work, not an unsupported feature.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=110626\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Sorry to sound happy at your misfortune but you are a great asset to our trying to track down the issue with Status Monitor.

Can you tell us more about your setup on both machines?

Are they both wired?

Do they both use the same network cards in the computers?

Are they both Win XP SP2?

You might lead us to a solution before Epson gets around to it!

Thanks for any info you can give!

DiaAzul

• http://photo.tanzo.org/
Epson 3800 Notes and FAQ
« Reply #35 on: April 04, 2007, 06:55:17 pm »

Sorry to sound happy at your misfortune but you are a great asset to our trying to track down the issue with Status Monitor.

Are they both wired?

Are they both Win XP SP2?

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=110645\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Have you tried looking at windows services: My computer->Manage->Services and checked that EPSON Printer Status Agent2 and EpsonBidirectionalService are set to Automatic and have the correct permissions and that both processes are started. Without these two processes running you will get nada.
David Plummer    http://photo.tanzo.org/

boku

Epson 3800 Notes and FAQ
« Reply #36 on: April 04, 2007, 06:59:42 pm »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=110645\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Windows Firewall on both. Kaspersky AV on both. XP-Home on the Desktop. XP-media on the notebook all at SP2 and latest patches. Both have plenty of disk space and 2GB ram.

Are they both wired?
The one that works is wireless; the one the doesn't is wired.

The wired one uses whatever Dell puts stock on an 8400. The wireless one uses whatever Dell puts stock on an E1505.

Are they both Win XP SP2? yes

Bob Kulon

Oh, one more thing...[b

boku

Epson 3800 Notes and FAQ
« Reply #37 on: April 04, 2007, 07:06:27 pm »

Have you tried looking at windows services: My computer->Manage->Services and checked that EPSON Printer Status Agent2 and EpsonBidirectionalService are set to Automatic and have the correct permissions and that both processes are started. Without these two processes running you will get nada.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=110670\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yes to all but - correct permissions? Explain please.
Bob Kulon

Oh, one more thing...[b

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
Epson 3800 Notes and FAQ
« Reply #38 on: April 04, 2007, 07:49:41 pm »

The Epson Status Monitor issues are strangely reminiscent of ones I had some time ago with my 2200. I have and Epson 2200 and an HP Laserjet 1200 connected to my PC (Win XP SP2) and the status monitor wouldn't work at all. I couldn't at that time (2 or 3 years ago) find anything useful on the web, except a suggestion that the Epson didn't like to coexist with an HP printer. Once I disconnected the HP, the Status Monitor worked. But that wasn't a viable fix, since the HP gets a lot of mundane use.

Someone (it may have been on the LL forum -- I forget) put me onto a substitute piece of free software (Russian), called the "SSC Service Utility", which nicely gives me a ink status check on demand. I have no idea whether the SSC gizmo has been updated to work with the 3800, but you might want to check.

It is available from their website, http://www.ssclg.com/epsone.shtml .

As a followup, although Epson seems never to have updated the flaky 2200 Status Monitor, it has recently been working fine for me. I have no idea what has changed. Go figure.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Greybard

Epson 3800 Notes and FAQ
« Reply #39 on: April 10, 2007, 10:31:49 am »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=110670\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I don't see either of these services in my services applet.

Does everyone else have them?
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up