Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson 3800 Notes and FAQ  (Read 25875 times)

madmanchan

• Web
Epson 3800 Notes and FAQ
« on: March 07, 2007, 10:57:53 am »

Hi everyone,

I have put together a printer notes and resources page for the Epson 3800:

http://people.csail.mit.edu/ericchan/dp/Epson3800/index.html

In addition, I have written a FAQ for the Epson 3800 which covers a variety of topics, including general setup information, ink usage, print quality issues, maintenance, etc.

http://people.csail.mit.edu/ericchan/dp/Epson3800/faq.html

In the same way that John Hollenberg's ipf5000 wiki has become a great resource for ipf5000 users, I hope the information on these pages will be useful to prospective Epson 3800 users as well as existing Epson 3800 users. Some of the information is generally applicable to Epson printers, and some (but not much) information is relevant to all inkjet printers.

If you would like to see something adding to the FAQ, please let me know!
Eric Chan

ddolde

Epson 3800 Notes and FAQ
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2007, 11:06:21 am »

I hope Epson is paying you well for your labor.

madmanchan

• Web
Epson 3800 Notes and FAQ
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2007, 12:07:59 pm »

No affiliation.  
Eric Chan

boku

• http://www.bobkulonphoto.com
Epson 3800 Notes and FAQ
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2007, 12:25:54 pm »

One little piece of FAQ I've been watching for is some of the quirks of using a network connection. So far nothing definitive has shown up.

At issue: using Ethernet, the status indicator (or anything that allows the printer to initiate communication on its own) doesn't work. Far as I can tell, this is a widespread issue. Epson has nothing to say. It is not a showstopper, but I would like to get it fixed. My guess is it requires opening a hole in the firewall, but what? No one is talking.

I can't use USB due to the distant location of the printer.

Other than that, the 3800 is a real pleaser.

And so is your FAQ page - thanks!
« Last Edit: March 07, 2007, 07:03:14 pm by boku »
Bob Kulon

Oh, one more thing...[b

Jo Irps

Epson 3800 Notes and FAQ
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2007, 01:34:45 pm »

One little piece of FAQ I've been watching for is .....
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=105265\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yes, I am waiting too until someone comes up with a way to work around that 37.4" print length limit. But $895 for that Image Print RIP is too much!

madmanchan

• Web
Epson 3800 Notes and FAQ
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2007, 02:27:01 pm »

Thanks Bob, I'll see what I can find out on the network issue.
Eric Chan

John Hollenberg

Epson 3800 Notes and FAQ
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2007, 02:40:02 pm »

Eric,

Looks amazingly complete with just a brief glance.  I will be visiting that page if I ever go back to the "Dark Side"    

--John

Per Ofverbeck

• http://elgfoto.se
Epson 3800 Notes and FAQ
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2007, 03:26:33 pm »

Hi everyone,

http://people.csail.mit.edu/ericchan/dp/Epson3800/index.html

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=105249\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Looks like a very valuable resource, both because of its own contents, and for the comprehensive collection of links provided.

I´m planning to replace my 2100 with a 3800; just waiting a bit to possibly see what the Canon Pixma Pro 9500 will be like (when/if it finally materializes...  My ink supply for the 2100 is running down, and I´m not going to replenish it.).  Sites like yours are just what´s needed!

Thank you for the effort!
Per Ofverbeck
My

knweiss

Epson 3800 Notes and FAQ
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2007, 05:20:01 pm »

This information comes just in time as I'm about to install my brand new Epson 3800 in my office right now.  Thanks!

lbergman

Epson 3800 Notes and FAQ
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2007, 08:14:25 am »

Thanks Bob, I'll see what I can find out on the network issue.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=105311\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

From doing some searching around the web, the answer seems to be that the drivers simply can't do bi-directional communications over ethernet, only USB. It's not that it can't be done, but that Epson won't write their drivers to do that.

I agree it's pain. Initially, I was only going to use wireless ethernet to connect my 3800, but the location I had planned didn't work, and ended up placing it where I could connect using USB.  As a result, I have both ethernet and USB connected (requires two seperate instances of the printer in windows). So some day, if Epson ever writes a driver to fully support ethernet...

madmanchan

• Web
Epson 3800 Notes and FAQ
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2007, 11:33:56 am »

That's the thing ... some users are reporting that they are getting bidirectional communication working perfectly with their 3800 printers on the network. Status monitor works and everything. So there's something weird going on ... in some cases, it works, and in many cases, it doesn't. Hopefully we can get to the bottom of it.
Eric Chan

lbergman

Epson 3800 Notes and FAQ
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2007, 01:29:36 pm »

That's the thing ... some users are reporting that they are getting bidirectional communication working perfectly with their 3800 printers on the network. Status monitor works and everything. So there's something weird going on ... in some cases, it works, and in many cases, it doesn't. Hopefully we can get to the bottom of it.
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Definitely in my case, the utilities do not work (and this from trying it on both Windows XP and Vista). Printing via ethernet is fine from both, though.

According to the Epson website, they will be releasing Vista certified drivers around June. I'm hoping they aren't just the current ones with certification, but different ones with some (better) ethernet bi-directional communication stuff.

You can see all that stuff here: [a href=\"http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/support/supAdvice.jsp?BV_UseBVCookie=yes&noteoid=85991]Epson site on Vista related printer stuff[/url]
« Last Edit: March 08, 2007, 01:31:28 pm by lbergman »

madmanchan

• Web
Epson 3800 Notes and FAQ
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2007, 02:48:53 pm »

lbergman, can you please tell me (either here or via PM or email, whichever you prefer) which versions of the Epson 3800 printer firmware and network firmware you have? Thanks.
Eric Chan

boku

Epson 3800 Notes and FAQ
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2007, 05:49:10 pm »

lbergman, can you please tell me (either here or via PM or email, whichever you prefer) which versions of the Epson 3800 printer firmware and network firmware you have? Thanks.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=105508\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Ooh boy - sound like we're on to something! It would be so sweet have that working.
Bob Kulon

Oh, one more thing...[b

madmanchan

• Web
Epson 3800 Notes and FAQ
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2007, 05:53:16 pm »

By the way, Bob, are you on Windows or Mac?
Eric Chan

boku

Epson 3800 Notes and FAQ
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2007, 05:56:17 pm »

By the way, Bob, are you on Windows or Mac?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=105531\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Windows XP, SP2
Bob Kulon

Oh, one more thing...[b

madmanchan

• Web
Epson 3800 Notes and FAQ
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2007, 07:50:02 pm »

Thanks Bob, same here. I'll try to report back soon on this ...
Eric Chan

lbergman

Epson 3800 Notes and FAQ
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2007, 10:43:23 pm »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=105508\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

PM (and email) sent.

Ralph Eisenberg

Epson 3800 Notes and FAQ
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2007, 11:34:42 am »

This resource appears to be excellent and has already been helpful in answering quite a few questions that I've had about the Epson 3800. Many thanks.
Ralph

Greybard

Epson 3800 Notes and FAQ
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2007, 07:35:25 pm »

Thanks Bob, same here. I'll try to report back soon on this ...
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=105555\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Didn't know if you got resolution on this issue but I don't think it's your router/switch.

Back in December when I first got my Epson 3800 it worked perfectly on my Linksys 100base-T network: Linksys WRT54GS 2.2 router with Linksys 8port switches.

In Feb I upgraded my home network to Gigabit using Netgear and D-Link switches.

I just noticed that status monitor wasn't working (I hadn't printed for a month or so due to projects heating up..

Just to make sure it was the network I went back to the Linksys 100mb setup to get it working again, no luck. I replaced all my Cat5 cables between the printer, router and computer, still no luck. I direct connected my Linksys router (which had worked with Status Monitor and the printer back in Dec), still wouldn't work now. I went to a laptop with a Intel network chipset(my desktop is a Marvell network chipset), still nada. I put my computer on a Linksys switch (that had worked with the printer in Dec.) with just the printer on it also, still no luck. I also tried a Netgear, D-Link and an Intel switch, still nothing. I then tried a crossed cable direct to the laptop and my main desktop again without any success.

BTW, with all the setups the printer could ping, receive and print. I also could bring up the Printer's config webpage and Epson Remote configuration worked but remote Panel, Firmware updates and Status monitor would not work.

I am really thinking it is a flaky card in the printer.

GB
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up