Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Move files that have been keyworded  (Read 2314 times)

markhout

• http://www.markhout.com
Move files that have been keyworded
« on: March 06, 2007, 10:54:32 pm »

My archiving workflow is to keep images < 3 months old on a separate internal harddrive. After 3 months they migrate to an external Firewire or USB harddrive, and to a DVD. I store the DVD offsite.

I am applying keywords to my images in Lightroom at the time of initial import onto the internal harddrive.

How can I get Lightroom 1.0 to keep finding the keyworded images, once they have been transferred to the external drive / DVD?

Thanks!
« Last Edit: March 06, 2007, 11:00:39 pm by markhout »

michael

« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2007, 06:38:05 am »

If you've moved a file and Lightroom can no longer find it, it will show up with a question mark. Just right click on it and select Find. When you've pointed to the files new location Lightroom will now know where it is, and also all other referenced files in the same directory and drive.

Michael

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2007, 08:42:08 am »

Once pictures are in Lightroom, only move them in Lightroom, not using Finder/Explorer. That way it won't lose track of them.

If the external drive isn't already shown in LR, move one image in Finder/Explorer and fix it the way Michael suggests (trouble with that method is you have to fix one folder at a time). This makes the folder appear in LR and you can then drag the rest of the pictures across.

Also look at storing XMP files with the keyworded images.

Try the workflow out with a few pictures first.

John
« Last Edit: March 07, 2007, 08:42:24 am by johnbeardy »
Pages: [1]   Go Up