Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 1270 Persistent Clog  (Read 4080 times)

duranash

1270 Persistent Clog
« on: March 06, 2007, 06:27:40 pm »

I noticed a clogged nozzle on my 1270 the other day (black) and after much nozzle cleaning and changing the ink cartridge it seemed to clear up.  Actually changing the cartridge didn't seem to help, I was just trying anything!!  

I just tried to print a B&W image.  I ran a nozzle check prior to printing and it looked OK.  When the print came out it was obvious something was not right.  A second nozzle check shows the black nozzle clogged again.  Any suggestions other than just running lots and lots of cleaning cycles?  This printer is seven years old, although hasn't been used heavily.  Could this simply be a sign of old age!

DarkPenguin

1270 Persistent Clog
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2007, 11:41:33 pm »

I don't think any of this is current but then neither is the 1270.

http://www.mwords.co.uk/catalog/info-artic...e-c-15_128.html

duranash

1270 Persistent Clog
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2007, 11:48:10 am »

Thanks for the reference.  I might try some of the cleaning procedures listed - given my other option is to simply trash the printer.  Just might be time to buy another printer anyway.

DarkPenguin

1270 Persistent Clog
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2007, 11:50:56 am »

If I was desperate I used to pull the ink and put alcohol soaked qtips on the ink intakes.

Nowadays I just use my HP B9180 and don't worry about clogs.

Actifocus

1270 Persistent Clog
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2007, 09:06:55 am »

I noticed a clogged nozzle on my 1270 the other day (black) and after much nozzle cleaning and changing the ink cartridge it seemed to clear up.  Actually changing the cartridge didn't seem to help, I was just trying anything!! 

I just tried to print a B&W image.  I ran a nozzle check prior to printing and it looked OK.  When the print came out it was obvious something was not right.  A second nozzle check shows the black nozzle clogged again.  Any suggestions other than just running lots and lots of cleaning cycles?  This printer is seven years old, although hasn't been used heavily.  Could this simply be a sign of old age!
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=105098\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hi Duranash,

Firstly, I'm assuming you are using genuine Epson inks as they contain both a lubricant and a cleaning component to keep the nozzles as clean as possible.

From what you wrote, if the nozzle was working before you started the print and dropped out during the print it's unlikely that the nozzle is actually clogged. Much more likely is that the capping assembly has a fault or is not sealing correctly. The problem is that the capping assembly has a peristaltic pump attached to provide suction on the underside of the print head. If this fails the piezo crystals in the printhead cannot agitate the ink enough to continue the correct ink flow and dropouts will occur.

- Check the capping assembly - this is the part that the head sits on in the with a black rubber ring around it and some sponge in the middle. Is the sponge dry or clogged? Is the rubber seal around the sponge damaged or torn?

- Also, I would check the wiper blade - This is the little "squeegee" part that removes the detritus from the flat underside of the print head. If this becomes contaminated you will need to wipe off the excess with a cotton bud and this will allow cleaning to be more effective.

Other than that you could be looking at a dead printhead, but it's unlikely.

Hope this helps. I wouldn't bother trying to clean with non genuine inks as they just cause more problems in the long run.

Cheers.

duranash

1270 Persistent Clog
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2007, 07:36:03 pm »

Actifocus - Thanks for the hints.  Since I wrote this post, I have been able to get the head unclogged and have made a couple of prints without a problem.  I just ran the head cleaning utility several more times and it finally cleared up.  I had a look at the capping area you mentioned and the sponge pad seems wet, but not too gunked up - if that makes sense.  There was some ink "gunk" along the edge of the rubber gasket which I cleaned with a cottom swab.  I'm not able to locate the "squeegee" thing you mentioned?  Is that just to the right of the capping station?

On the other hand, lets not get this printer fixed up too well - I'd like to have a good excuse to upgrade to maybe a 2400 or possibly the 3800.

Thanks Again for your help

howiesmith

1270 Persistent Clog
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2007, 08:00:30 pm »

I thought a printer became obsolete before it had time to clog.

I try to space printing so I do some each day.  If I have 10 prints to make, I do a couple a day until I'm done and hope I have something new to print.  If not, make an extra print for the trashman.

+++++++++++++++

Oh, and I try to follow the maker's instructions about shutting down.  Seems it may matter but how would you know.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2007, 08:39:35 pm by howiesmith »
Pages: [1]   Go Up