Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: H3D problems, again!  (Read 30851 times)

mtomalty

• http://www.marktomalty.com
H3D problems, again!
« Reply #40 on: March 09, 2007, 02:17:29 pm »

The villain here -- the one to be worried about -- is not Phase, or Hasselblad, or Leaf -- it's Canon.

They may very well be but,as the saying goes, "Nice guys finish last"  :>))

Would they still be the villain if their frame aspect ratio was the same as the 645 MF cameras?

Mark

James Russell

H3D problems, again!
« Reply #41 on: March 09, 2007, 02:26:01 pm »

Mark I was referring to the Rollei system, not the Hy6 specifically. I am using a 6008AF with Sinarback right now and enjoy 1/1000th flash sync today. Anyway the flash sync is due to the lenses and they are well and truly known to work.
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The problem with the 6008 in the U.S. is the user installed base (customers) is about 3 people.

That has nothing to do with whether the 6008 is a good or bad camera, but it has a lot to do with Rollei's past poor marketing, service and most importantly their inability to get that system into the rental houses for trial and backup.

Same with the HY6.  Until the rental houses in all major markets are flooded with these things, they are just another system that is difficult to work with professionally.

I've had few issues with the Contax, but last month in studio my 140mm lens started intermetially not stopping down as we shot.  That very second I told the 4th assistant to walk across the hall to rental and get another lens, put it on and kept shooting.

It turns out the lens was fine, just the electrical contacts probably needed cleaning, but had I been using a 6008 or an HY6 I would have had to stop and sort out the problem, which is a buzz kill when it's a many multiple thousand dollar production day.

Your obviously a fan of Rollei and I guess the system works for you, but even in NY walking into B+H, Adorama, Calumet, there are very few Rollei cameras, much less complete lens systems.

Go to the Rollei site and find out any information on the 6008, HY6 or anything that Rollei sells that is professional  [a href=\"http://www.rollei.com/]http://www.rollei.com/[/url]

This site clearly demonstrates why Rollei has so few users in the U.S. and if the marketing and distribution of the HY6 is done in the same manner, it will be just as esoteric as the 6008.

JR

pss

• http://www.schefz.com
H3D problems, again!
« Reply #42 on: March 09, 2007, 02:37:45 pm »

You young guys have a lot more courage than I do. I've been burned in the past, by buying too close to the bleeding edge. Personally, that Rollei/Leaf/Sinar/Whatever is not even on the radar screen for me, until it's been out for at least a year, shipping in quantity, and developing a trustable track record.

Promises are promises, and claims are claims, but they don't matter one bit when you're standing there in a high pressure job, and the camera goes down with no explanation. That Rollei thing, to me, is just The Ultimate Dentist/Doctor Camera, until it's been around for a while, and proven that it's reliable. And that is, if anyone can afford it in the beginning. In addition to the lenses. When budgets are getting tighter, and stock begins to own the world, and you can buy a new 5D for $1800 that does 90% of the jobs out there, I think these high-end companies are going to need to really blow it out of the water if they are to succeed.

Proceed with caution, and get it in writing, and get a written guarantee that the camera is fully refundable if it doesn't perform up to their Copywriter's bold claims. Buyer beware.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=105679\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

mark....the rollei 6008 has been around for a long time, i had a system, never had a problem..the schneider lenses are the best and the sinar emotion backs are phantastic as well....unfortunately the 6008 does not play nice with the P30, otherwise i would still be enjoying 1/1000 sync.......but the 1/400 of the RZ is fine as well....
i guess the early 6000 rollei systems had some electrical problems as well and it took them a couple of years to iron them out...i got in later, and never had any problems....sinar has been making Dbacks since the beginning of Dtime, so they are really proven....the software is stable but not very exciting....like most things sinar...rock solid.....
of course the 6000system also accepts hass/imacon backs.....there are some people here using this set-up without problems (also people using the hass/imacon backs with other cameras).......just like the problems people have with the H/Pwhatever set-up seem to be all camera related....so it seems that the problems are with the H camera...

sundstei

H3D problems, again!
« Reply #43 on: March 09, 2007, 02:38:44 pm »

Go to the Rollei site and find out any information on the 6008, HY6 or anything that Rollei sells that is professional  http://www.rollei.com/

[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

James, you are confusing the companies. The maker of Rolleiflex medium format cameras are :
[a href=\"http://www.franke-heidecke.net/]http://www.franke-heidecke.net/[/url]

(not that there is much more info there...  )

Svein Erik
« Last Edit: March 09, 2007, 02:45:23 pm by sundstei »

pss

H3D problems, again!
« Reply #44 on: March 09, 2007, 02:48:29 pm »

The problem with the 6008 in the U.S. is the user installed base (customers) is about 3 people.

That has nothing to do with whether the 6008 is a good or bad camera, but it has a lot to do with Rollei's past poor marketing, service and most importantly their inability to get that system into the rental houses for trial and backup.

Same with the HY6.  Until the rental houses in all major markets are flooded with these things, they are just another system that is difficult to work with professionally.

I've had few issues with the Contax, but last month in studio my 140mm lens started intermetially not stopping down as we shot.  That very second I told the 4th assistant to walk across the hall to rental and get another lens, put it on and kept shooting.

It turns out the lens was fine, just the electrical contacts probably needed cleaning, but had I been using a 6008 or an HY6 I would have had to stop and sort out the problem, which is a buzz kill when it's a many multiple thousand dollar production day.

Your obviously a fan of Rollei and I guess the system works for you, but even in NY walking into B+H, Adorama, Calumet, there are very few Rollei cameras, much less complete lens systems.

Go to the Rollei site and find out any information on the 6008, HY6 or anything that Rollei sells that is professional  http://www.rollei.com/

This site clearly demonstrates why Rollei has so few users in the U.S. and if the marketing and distribution of the HY6 is done in the same manner, it will be just as esoteric as the 6008.

JR
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=105688\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

absolutely right, i had 2 complete kits with several lenses, some twice, some overlapping, because there simply is no rental available anywhere....none....i think adorama had some, but....if you shoot rollei you have to own everything, which comes at a price.....when i got my P30, i sold all my stuff and after buying 2 complete mamiya 645afdII outfits with several lenses and the P30 (upgrade form P20) i still had money left over...so i really saved money by upgrading to the P30 (but i had to give up my rollei..) and with the RZ being put back in the mix i actually don't miss the rollei anymore.....

james now sinar will take over the marketing/distribution for the Hy6.....that should make it a LOT better.... remember our sinar M discussion?

Caracalla

• http://
H3D problems, again!
« Reply #45 on: March 09, 2007, 05:34:11 pm »

You young guys have a lot more courage than I do. I've been burned in the past, by buying too close to the bleeding edge. Personally, that Rollei/Leaf/Sinar/Whatever is not even on the radar screen for me, until it's been out for at least a year, shipping in quantity, and developing a trustable track record.

Promises are promises, and claims are claims, but they don't matter one bit when you're standing there in a high pressure job, and the camera goes down with no explanation. That Rollei thing, to me, is just The Ultimate Dentist/Doctor Camera, until it's been around for a while, and proven that it's reliable. And that is, if anyone can afford it in the beginning. In addition to the lenses. When budgets are getting tighter, and stock begins to own the world, and you can buy a new 5D for $1800 that does 90% of the jobs out there, I think these high-end companies are going to need to really blow it out of the water if they are to succeed.

Proceed with caution, and get it in writing, and get a written guarantee that the camera is fully refundable if it doesn't perform up to their Copywriter's bold claims. Buyer beware.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=105679\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I hear you can buy new Contax camera & lenses, but where? I am interested.

pprdigital

• http://www.phaseone.com
H3D problems, again!
« Reply #46 on: March 09, 2007, 05:36:40 pm »

I think some things are clear with regard to H cameras, Contax cameras, and digital backs.

A Contax camera is a relatively simple and reliable camera to use, by virtue of it's "old school" knobs and end of life production status. It allows the lens and the digital back to work together to make an exposure.

A Hasselblad H camera is trying to achieve more than this. It wants to optimize this process and enhance it to provide more options, more control, more quality. It is more complex to use as a result, and it is more liable to produce an error. What's more, it will state "something, something error".

Where the Contax just might not work, the H produces an error message when it doesn't work. I believe this also adds to the consternation of photographers, who aren't expecting their camera to act like a computer. Nonetheless, that is much of what an H camera is, as well as what a Phase, Leaf, Sinar or Hasselblad back is. Most digital backs possess multiple circuit boards inside the back, like a computer.

Whether a Contax or an H2 is a better choice for someone is completely and subjectively up to that individual. There are differences in lenses, sync speeds, ultimate shutter speeds, etc.

I personally find the H2 simple to use. The notion of "things buried in menus" doesn't hold with me. If I want to change auto focus, shutter speed, aperture, etc., all of those controls are at my finger tips with no menus. Indeed, many younger photographers, and for sure, future photographers may find "knobs" totally counter-intuitive. Who's to definitively say a "knob" is better than a dial or a button?

I have nothing against Contax - other than I can't sell it. It's a fine camera that works well.  The fact that they're out of business, that repair parts may one day be scarce, or that digital backs in the future may discontinue support for Contax is not an issue for some. For others, it is.

We have customers using Leaf and Hasselblad digital backs on H2 cameras without issue. The H3D cameras have duplicated this performance. We have had a few issues, but all were resolved with a firmware update, or in one case a (3rd party) digital back board replacement. I have zero reservations about selling an H camera to anyone.

Steve Hendrix
PPR Digital
Steve Hendrix
[url=http://www.phaseone.c

James Russell

H3D problems, again!
« Reply #47 on: March 09, 2007, 08:00:37 pm »

Whether a Contax or an H2 is a better choice for someone is completely and subjectively up to that individual. There are differences in lenses, sync speeds, ultimate shutter speeds, etc.

I personally find the H2 simple to use. The notion of "things buried in menus" doesn't hold with me. If I want to change auto focus, shutter speed, aperture, etc., all of those controls are at my finger tips with no menus. Indeed, many younger photographers, and for sure, future photographers may find "knobs" totally counter-intuitive. Who's to definitively say a "knob" is better than a dial or a button?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=105722\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Steve,

You and I have had this discussion a lot and your right, some of this is just personal likes or dislikes.

A lot of people use an H- series and are happy.  Me, well I think it's an ugly camera and I guess that shouldn't matter but just like a Pontiac Grand Am will get your there just as well as a BMW, I'm also not going to drive a Grand Am.

Personally I think what irks people about the H-1 is not the menus, or the lcd's or even the occasional lock up.  What seems to bother most people about the H-1 is is doesn't feel, look, or work like a Hasselblad and I'm not talking old guys, I find this across the board, actually the younger assistants I work with dislike it more than a lot of photogrpahers.

Still, Canon and the 1ds did not take the medium format market from Hasselblad, Contax, Phase, Leaf or Sinar.  Those makers gave the medium format market to Canon by not producing a portable, stable, higher iso back at a medium price point at the time Canon introduced the 1ds, even the 1ds2.

I started with digital early and would have bought a (then) Imacon, Leaf, or Phase if any of them had an lcd, shot a fairly sustained frame rate, had an iso that was useable above 100 (real iso by the way, if anyone know what real iso is) and didn't cost 3 to 4 times what the Canon 1ds cost.

Sadly the P-30 wasn't available then and I believe had it been, definately Contax would still be around, RZ's and Mamiya's would be selling and maybe the H system wouldn't have started to morph into a single proprietary digital camera.

It doesn't matter because Contax is gone, mamiya seems to be holding on by a thread and we have all this talk of a new Rollei, err, excuse me, Franke and Heinke, err, excuse me, Sinar/Leaf camera that as of today does not have announced prices, lens ranges, or exact dates of availability.

I do know this.   If the medium format companies keep going down this same road it will be an all Canon world.

JR

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
H3D problems, again!
« Reply #48 on: March 10, 2007, 12:57:30 am »

It doesn't matter because Contax is gone, mamiya seems to be holding on by a thread and we have all this talk of a new Rollei, err, excuse me, Franke and Heinke, err, excuse me, Sinar/Leaf camera that as of today does not have announced prices, lens ranges, or exact dates of availability.

I do know this.   If the medium format companies keep going down this same road it will be an all Canon world.

JR
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=105744\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yeah, and many of us wonder if the new Rollei won't kill off the Mamiya, thereby killing off Phase in the process. It's interesting that Phase who don't own a camera maker still haven't cut a deal with their competition to assure their survival.

Hasselblad is not going away, they're too good at marketing and within a year or so they'll have fixed their remaining bugs. At Photokina they admitted they had them, and that they were fixing; as we all know a company that admits a tech problem will usually design it out of its ***next*** product.

Edmund
« Last Edit: March 10, 2007, 01:03:40 am by eronald »
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

James Russell

H3D problems, again!
« Reply #49 on: March 10, 2007, 12:59:06 am »

Yeah, and many of us wonder if the new Rollei won't kill off the Mamiya, thereby killing off Phase in the process. It's interesting that Pas who don't own a camera maker still haven't cut a deal with their competition to assure their survival.

Hasselblad is not going away, they're too good at marketing and within a year or so they'll have fixed their remaining bugs.

Edmund
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=105768\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Edmund,

What do you base any of this statement on?

JR

eronald

H3D problems, again!
« Reply #50 on: March 10, 2007, 01:02:10 am »

Edmund,

What do you base any of this statement on?

JR
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=105769\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Which part ? Most of it is my usual brand of conjecture apart from the part about Hasselblad which is based on my abilities as a pro journalist to assess the very massive marketing abilities of Hasselblad as confirmed by various sources, and my lengthy interview of the Hasselblad CEO at Photokina.

As for the rest - have you heard anything that leads you to be certain of the medium-term future of Mamiya ? Everyone on this forum is gaga over the Hy6 although no client has yet received one ! Do you really think MF is now so big that it can take another competitor ? I have seen the sales figures for France, and I assure you they aren't brilliant. On the other hand, I have seen the dSLR data for the US, and it's enough to make Canon jump for joy !

I would believe in the future of Mamiya if they had managed to get the ZD out there with better ISO at a cheaper pricepoint; then they would have been unassailable. Now they're visibly fragile as sales go. Not because they don't have market share, only, but because the market for digital MF is so tiny. Every time H sell a body they sell a back now, that's real money. For Mamiya a camera is a camera.

Let's face it, for Leaf, Sinar and Hasselblad, a camera is now a loss-leader to sell a back. And maybe a lens or two.

Edmund
« Last Edit: March 10, 2007, 01:14:23 am by eronald »
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

James Russell

H3D problems, again!
« Reply #51 on: March 10, 2007, 09:57:00 am »

Which part ? Most of it is my usual brand of conjecture apart from the part about Hasselblad which is based on my abilities as a pro journalist to assess the very massive marketing abilities of Hasselblad as confirmed by various sources, and my lengthy interview of the Hasselblad CEO at Photokina.

As for the rest - have you heard anything that leads you to be certain of the medium-term future of Mamiya ? Everyone on this forum is gaga over the Hy6 although no client has yet received one ! Do you really think MF is now so big that it can take another competitor ? I have seen the sales figures for France, and I assure you they aren't brilliant. On the other hand, I have seen the dSLR data for the US, and it's enough to make Canon jump for joy !

I would believe in the future of Mamiya if they had managed to get the ZD out there with better ISO at a cheaper pricepoint; then they would have been unassailable. Now they're visibly fragile as sales go. Not because they don't have market share, only, but because the market for digital MF is so tiny. Every time H sell a body they sell a back now, that's real money. For Mamiya a camera is a camera.

Let's face it, for Leaf, Sinar and Hasselblad, a camera is now a loss-leader to sell a back. And maybe a lens or two.

Edmund
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=105770\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Edmund,

No personal offense meant, but those are some of the silliest statements I've read.

The CEO of a corporation gives you face time and you believe everything he says . . . think Jeffrey Skilling of Enron said the same thing.

35mm dslrs out sell medium format?  There is nothing new in that.  Cheap cameras have always outsold expensive cameras . .  . actually cheap anything has always outsold expensive anything.

Phase and Mamiya will be gone?  Well at some point of time we'll all be gone, but Phase goes from 1 to gone because they don't own a camera doesn't make much sense to me.  I wouild imagine the largest seller of "digital film" will probably carry some weight when it comes to camera options.

Medium format cameras like the proposed Hy6 are lost leaders and only exist to sell backs?  We'll on this your probably right, (though nobody really knows the price), but the bottom line is still the bottom line.  Some if this is like Ford selling me 4 Ford required tires for $30,000 and giving me the car for free.  It's still a $30,000 car.    Maybe some of these backs are just overpriced.

What I've noticed in the world of digital photogrpahy is what is said in pdf's, magazine interviews and manufacturer's websites have very little to do with the real world.

Pentax has been showing a camera under glass for a year, Olympus is going to change the world of photography with 4/3's, the Kodak 14n has ouitstanding quality  and Leaf has wi-fi.  The list goes on and on but what actually happens in real life is very different than the PR hype.

I think before you make these statements you need to stick your nose in about 20 studios in NY,  talk to the rental houses, the dealers that sell this stuff and the photographers that are shooting day in day out, because what is actually happening today  is much different than your prediction of the future.

JR

Ethan Schoonover

• http://ethanschoonover.com/
H3D problems, again!
« Reply #52 on: March 10, 2007, 10:56:06 am »

James, you are confusing the companies. The maker of Rolleiflex medium format cameras are :
http://www.franke-heidecke.net/

(not that there is much more info there...  )

Svein Erik
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

As Svein says, there isn't much more info there and the lack of non-German information shows how marketing-(un)oriented they are. There aren't even any links to Hy6 information... This information can be found on [a href=\"http://www.sinarcameras.com/]http://www.sinarcameras.com/[/url] and http://www.leafamerica.com/ but for FH (who definitely have a dog in this fight) it's marketing-unsavvy to not even link to these sites.

The points being made about getting the unit into rental shops is right. This is so critical for getting exposure in the real-world sales channel. Luckily Sinar and Leaf can (hopefully) play that game better than FH have with the 6008.

FH is clearly a company focused on engineering... I have to give them props for this, but they aren't doing themselves any favors by completely ignoring the realities of marketing.
[span style='color:gray'][span style='fo

James Russell

H3D problems, again!
« Reply #53 on: March 10, 2007, 11:32:13 am »

As Svein says, there isn't much more info there and the lack of non-German information shows how marketing-(un)oriented they are. There aren't even any links to Hy6 information... This information can be found on http://www.sinarcameras.com/ and http://www.leafamerica.com/ but for FH (who definitely have a dog in this fight) it's marketing-unsavvy to not even link to these sites.

The points being made about getting the unit into rental shops is right. This is so critical for getting exposure in the real-world sales channel. Luckily Sinar and Leaf can (hopefully) play that game better than FH have with the 6008.

FH is clearly a company focused on engineering... I have to give them props for this, but they aren't doing themselves any favors by completely ignoring the realities of marketing.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=105834\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Marketing will help, getting a new camera in rental houses and studios help, a decent price helps, but marketing and availablity means nothing unless the product really works.

Not PDF works, but in the real world works.

Jams, slow software, challenged color, difficult tehtering, will way offset any of the above.

For me and what I do, unless I can shoot 2000 frames a day without issue and adjust and process these frames quickly and relliably, no pdf, website, or rental availability, or promises will ever make me switch from something stable.

I hope the HY6/Sinar/Leaf works, but it's more than the camera, much more.

JR

damien

• http://www.lovegroveportraits.com
H3D problems, again!
« Reply #54 on: March 10, 2007, 03:41:06 pm »

Great thread, Here's my experience of the H system for what it's worth...

The first 1000 frames gave me glitches and camera lockups. These were solved with cleaning the electrical contacts with isopropyl alcohol.

The next 20,000 frames saw only a few glitches in the camera body. The firmware was upgraded and I bought a 7.2V rechargeable battery system.

The next 40,000 frames were perfect without a glitch at all. I was offered a complimentary upgrade to H2 but I think I will keep my H1 just as it is.

Two of my lenses went soft and I sent them back for checking. They came back perfect. One lens had a shutter jam but was fixed within 24 hours. The lenses are all brilliant now and the optical quality is the best I've ever used.

The P25 has never missed a beat and I'm hard on my kit. The case of my P25 is really scratched and tatty but the workings are perfect. I've had the system for 2 1/2 years now and it is fantastic. Shame I can't use the 28mm :-(

Damien.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2007, 03:42:48 pm by damien »

eronald

H3D problems, again!
« Reply #55 on: March 10, 2007, 04:39:51 pm »

Deleted (redundant).

Edmund
« Last Edit: March 10, 2007, 04:53:52 pm by eronald »

eronald

H3D problems, again!
« Reply #56 on: March 10, 2007, 04:51:54 pm »

Edmund,

No personal offense meant, but those are some of the silliest statements I've read.

The CEO of a corporation gives you face time and you believe everything he says . . . think Jeffrey Skilling of Enron said the same thing.

JR
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=105818\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

James, no personal offense taken of course.

The part about H fixing their bugs was the only part from the CEO here, and of course I believe they will fix them - in the next model  

As for the rest, with respect, James, I stand behind my analysis. The market of people capable of buying $30K systems is substantially smaller than the old MF market. The whole situation  reminds me of an annual dinner of octogenerians -  Pentax, Contax, we miss you, who's next ?

Edmund

doncody

H3D problems, again!
« Reply #57 on: March 10, 2007, 07:33:19 pm »

The first 1000 frames gave me glitches and camera lockups. These were solved with cleaning the electrical contacts with isopropyl alcohol.

The next 20,000 frames saw only a few glitches in the camera body. The firmware was upgraded and I bought a 7.2V rechargeable battery system.

The next 40,000 frames were perfect without a glitch at all. I was offered a complimentary upgrade to H2 but I think I will keep my H1 just as it is.

Two of my lenses went soft and I sent them back for checking. They came back perfect. One lens had a shutter jam but was fixed within 24 hours. The lenses are all brilliant now and the optical quality is the best I've ever used.

The P25 has never missed a beat and I'm hard on my kit. The case of my P25 is really scratched and tatty but the workings are perfect. I've had the system for 2 1/2 years now and it is fantastic. Shame I can't use the 28mm :-(

Damien.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=105905\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Damien,

Thanks for the "real world" experience.  After reading your post, viewing, your site, and today actually handling an H2,  the only thing left is for me is to rent one for about a week.  I have to admit though I think I'm pretty much a "done deal" for the H2 with a P20 or 25 ( wish I could go bigger but budget constraints). Like yourself I am largely Portrait but also Fashion.  Do you see a large advantage to the P25 over the P20?

Thanks,
Don

pss

H3D problems, again!
« Reply #58 on: March 10, 2007, 08:16:21 pm »

Damien.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=105905\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

damien..thanks for the honest report....i am glad you are happy with your tool, but don't you think your expectations are on the low end if you don't consider your experience not so good?
you had the same problems everybody has had with the camera....several times....after some tuning it now works as it should, your lenses (from your posts on the phase forum i take you have 4) are 3 out of 4 with one problem or another.....
i don't think that is acceptable at all....
in 20 years of shooting with anything from fujis, nikons, canons, mamiyas, hasselblads, rolleis and yes practika.....i have had one shutter lock-up (hass V 40mm bought used, locked up on the first day...go figure), one mirror problem (rollei 6008, bought as demo, mirror got knocked out of whack in transport) and one time my mamiya 645 would not fire (the assistant put one of the batteries in the wrong way) and i had a light leak once in a film back (rental back , the last time i shot film).....and the problems i had with rented H systems, every time i shot with one....the same as described here.....
maybe i have been extremely lucky....i do expect things to break sometimes...i do send stuff in for cleaning and maintainance (not as much as i should maybe)....but to buy something new and have several thing happen and several things happen with lenses as well? i would not consider that acceptable.....i don't know how much i would have to love that camera....
i am amazed that you are writing this and are happy with the system!

damien

• http://www.lovegroveportraits.com
H3D problems, again!
« Reply #59 on: March 11, 2007, 12:16:59 pm »

damien..thanks for the honest report....i am glad you are happy with your tool, but don't you think your expectations are on the low end if you don't consider your experience not so good?
you had the same problems everybody has had with the camera....several times....after some tuning it now works as it should, your lenses (from your posts on the phase forum i take you have 4) are 3 out of 4 with one problem or another.....
i don't think that is acceptable at all....
in 20 years of shooting with anything from fujis, nikons, canons, mamiyas, hasselblads, rolleis and yes practika.....i have had one shutter lock-up (hass V 40mm bought used, locked up on the first day...go figure), one mirror problem (rollei 6008, bought as demo, mirror got knocked out of whack in transport) and one time my mamiya 645 would not fire (the assistant put one of the batteries in the wrong way) and i had a light leak once in a film back (rental back , the last time i shot film).....and the problems i had with rented H systems, every time i shot with one....the same as described here.....
maybe i have been extremely lucky....i do expect things to break sometimes...i do send stuff in for cleaning and maintainance (not as much as i should maybe)....but to buy something new and have several thing happen and several things happen with lenses as well? i would not consider that acceptable.....i don't know how much i would have to love that camera....
i am amazed that you are writing this and are happy with the system!
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=105952\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

You've been lucky. My Hasselblad V cameras always had issues with shutter cocking - even my clockwork 500CM. My Rolloei 6008 had to go back 2 times for 'errors' and never wound 220 tightly enough. My 6003 was fine but was used as a backup more often than I would have liked.  I had the same problem with my Mamiya 645 system too, plus the lenses were soft - noticeably the 35mm and the wide zoom. My Fuji S2 is on it's third CCD. My Nikon D200 had to be replaced in week one because of a power fault that couldn't be repaired. The replacement has lines on the picture near areas of high contrast. The delegates on my training courses that use Canon are always getting 'error codes' The most common being Error 99 on the 1DS Mk2. With this error the delegates have to go to a spare body. The delegates 5D's overexpose on TTL by a stop when using the 580 where as the 20D, 400D, 1D etc seem spot on. Oh and I'm on my second Metz 54 MZ4 because I blew one up last week. It went bang and now rattles :-( It has worked hard so I dont blame it for dying.

My point is, like cars, things go wrong, and in the real world shooting every day, faults happen.   I feel confident enough with my H1 and lenses not to need a backup. I fully expect my wifes Nikon or a delegates Canon to return an error before my Hasselblad.

Damien.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up