Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Questions about moving/sharing Lightroom Library  (Read 3281 times)

m021478

Questions about moving/sharing Lightroom Library
« on: March 05, 2007, 07:56:19 pm »

I was wondering if anyone knows if/how I could perhaps move my Lightroom library to my laptop computer for times when I am traveling on an assignment away from my home studio, and then upon returning home, I would then be able to copy the library back over to my desktop computer for use on that machine...

I currently have my Lightroom library stored in the 'Home>Documents folder on my desktop computer, and all of the files referenced by that library are on a large, AC-required external hard drive...The largest non-AC-required hard drive I have found is 200GB, and I could theoretically use that to copy some of the files in my Lightroom library to for portable use, but the 200GB drive isn't large enough to store all of my images...Is it possible to somehow temporarily detach a portion of the Lightroom library for viewing, sorting, adjusting, etc while on the road (the portion being perhaps something like the most recent month's worth of images), and then somehow copy that month's worth of images and any new images I've shot on the road back into the Lightroom Library stored on my desktop computer upon returning home?

Another questions that is slightly off-topic, yet related in a way:

Is there any way to sync two Lightroom libraries, so that I could have my external drive with all of the referenced files connected to my primary desktop computer for some sorting, editing and organizing...and then upon choosing to begin working on those images from my laptop, I could then simply run some sort of a sync command (perhaps using Retrospect Desktop or Chronosync or some other sync app) to sync the library files, and then simply bring the external hard drive with me and use that to connect to my laptop computer to have access to my lightroom library and all of the referenced files while away from my home - in theory, I would ideally like to be able to work on my images in lightroom from my home office, and then while traveling or in some way required to be away from my home office, I could then simply bring my external hard drive with all of the original RAW images referenced by Lightroom, and then just make sure to sync the two library files (the one on the desktop and the other on the laptop)...and in doing so, I would be able to work on the same library file and update all of the original files and .xmp metadata tags from home, and while away.

Anyone know of an ideal way to pull off any of the aforementioned? Please advise...Thanks!

dave92029

« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2007, 04:42:56 pm »

Don't have an anwser but I do have a similar question. I'm running Lightroom on BOTH my desktop PC and my MacBook laptop. I am also saving files to a usb hard drive. I really would like to be able to sync the data between my PC and Mac and have them both be able to use and change the files on the USB drive.  

I would like to have some files on the PC, others on the MAC and ALL files on the USB drive.

One set of Keywords, folders, collections, etc. would be so nice.

If anyone knows if this can be done and how to do it... I would really appreciate your suggestions.

TIA

francofit

• http://
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2007, 07:38:45 pm »

I was wondering if anyone knows if/how I could perhaps move my Lightroom library to my laptop computer for times when I am traveling on an assignment away from my home studio, and then upon returning home, I would then be able to copy the library back over to my desktop computer for use on that machine...
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I think here you can find good practical answers to your needs:
[a href=\"http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/lighroom-illuminated.shtml]Ligthroom Illuminated[/url].
Franco
Pages: [1]   Go Up