Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What B&W Papers are out there?  (Read 15045 times)

pflower

What B&W Papers are out there?
« on: March 05, 2007, 05:07:12 pm »

I live in the UK.  I will admit to a terrible infidelity by spending the last 5 years out of the darkroom and in front of the computer.  This may have contributed to the dearth of papers on the market.  But now I want to go back into my darkroom.  But where are the papers? What is left?  Kodak appears to have gone.  Agfa has gone.  Silverprint no longer stocks my favourite paper - Oriental Seagull.  What is left?

Are there any really good neutral or cold b&w papers available out there?  Or is it all Ilford and RC?

What does anyone use?

image66

« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2007, 05:25:27 pm »

You really can't go wrong with Ilford papers.  I would recommend not using Multigrade developer, though, as it's hard to get an over-the-top max-black with it.  I've personally found that the Perfecta paper/developer combination is quite good, but not readily available.

Given your location, I'd just stick with Ilford.  Honestly, it's good stuff.  There is a user-forum over at ilford.com which is quite helpful too.  The best part of using Ilford is the consistancy between different surface-types.  An exposure that works on one paper will almost always work on another without having to reinvent the wheel.

Also, Ilford's pearl-surfaced RC paper is most-excellent and capable of giving fiber-glossy a run for its money.  For those who hand-tint photographs, the RC-pearl is now the preferred paper.

qball

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2007, 01:31:06 pm »

I live in the UK.  I will admit to a terrible infidelity by spending the last 5 years out of the darkroom and in front of the computer.  This may have contributed to the dearth of papers on the market.  But now I want to go back into my darkroom.  But where are the papers? What is left?  Kodak appears to have gone.  Agfa has gone.  Silverprint no longer stocks my favourite paper - Oriental Seagull.  What is left?

Are there any really good neutral or cold b&w papers available out there?  Or is it all Ilford and RC?

What does anyone use?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=104873\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Silverprint carries Forte, tis the only paper I use.  The FB poly warm tone is splendid! - Enjoy

Rob C

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2007, 01:16:14 pm »

Silverprint carries Forte, tis the only paper I use.  The FB poly warm tone is splendid! - Enjoy
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=122222\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I remember using only white, smooth glossy (WSG) as single weight or double weight by Kodak (mainly) or Ilford, which was always a semi-grade softer, making that horrid all-grades-in-one stuff totally unnecessary. Much as with the introduction of resin coated, it was more to do with simplification of production lines (choices? why?) I´d suspect, than anything else. Let´s face it, if you can print and know how to expose/develop film properly, then you don´t really need more than two grades of material at the best of times.

With respect of the WSG: I used to hate matt paper in the wet, but I just love it in digital guise, possibly because it is easier to understand how it will look dry than it did as wet; also, there was no commercial demand for it (matt) in my particular scene. Now, being my own best client, I can do as I wish (if it doesn´t cost much) and the digital matt under glass is just fantastic.

However, my retiral from the darkroom was more logistics-based than anything else and I would probably still enjoy producing a nice print of something interesting. But, that´s all in the past and part of very fond memory.

Cheers - Rob C

gr82bart

• http://www.artliem.com
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2007, 09:30:32 pm »

What is left?
Agfa, Arista, Bergger, Cachet/Maco, Emaks/Fotokemika, Foma, Forte, Fotospeed, Ilford, Kentmere, Oriental, and Slavich. Lots of paper still out there.

Regards, Art.
Visit my website at [url=http://www.gr82

bode2006

• http://www.natural-light-cambridge.co.uk/
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2008, 03:36:01 pm »

I've just realised the date on this thread, but the information is still valid.

The German brand Adox have recently released a range of new FB and RC papers amost identical to the old Agfa papers. Foma also have a wide range of papers and are still releasing new papers. There are also plans to re-release the Forte papers.

Currently, the black and white paper market is in a healthy state.

[url=http://www.natural-light-cambridge

ChrisJR

• http://
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2008, 12:14:55 pm »

Quote from: bode2006
I've just realised the date on this thread, but the information is still valid.

The German brand Adox have recently released a range of new FB and RC papers amost identical to the old Agfa papers. Foma also have a wide range of papers and are still releasing new papers. There are also plans to re-release the Forte papers.

Currently, the black and white paper market is in a healthy state.
Kentmere make some really nice black and white papers in various guises. I used them a lot during my degree programme with beautiful results.

Silverprint in London offers some of the best advice in the UK on papers.

joneil

• This is what beer does to you....
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2008, 09:29:20 am »

Ilfrod Galerie, the fibre based & individually graded paper is till, IMO, one of the best out there.   Other papers are easier and quicker to work with, but I like Galerie the best.

dudler

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2008, 03:02:48 am »

It will be interesting to see what effect the Ilford takeover of Kentmere has on the market...

Still, it's nice to have a British company dominating a market, after Agfa's demise, and Kodak's desertion of traditional B/W.
Pages: [1]   Go Up