Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Nikon Capture NX and Photoshop compatability  (Read 2546 times)

Colorado David

Nikon Capture NX and Photoshop compatability
« on: March 04, 2007, 11:53:54 pm »

Hello,

I'm new to the forum.

I shoot Nikon Raw and process with Nikon Capture NX.  I am having a problem with Photoshop opening NEF's from Capture NX.  If I have uploaded camera raw images, worked with them, saved them as NEF's and then later open them in Photoshop, they work just fine.  However, if I have opened a TIFF or JPEG in Capture NX, work with it, and save it as NEF, and then later try to open it in Photoshop, I get an error message that it does not recognize the file.  I found a mention of this error message on the Adobe site.  They suggested that I install the latest version of the Camera Raw Convertor.  I have done that but still have the problem.  Has anyone run into this problem?  If so, do you have a way around it?  Thanks very much for the help.

Best regards,
David

Richowens

« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2007, 01:59:14 am »

David,

Save the tiff or jpg as a tiff or jpg, not a nef.

May I ask why you want to save them as nef files anyway?  NX will not create a nef from a jpg or a tiff that is readable by PS.

I usually process in NX then send directly to PS. I don't go through an intermediate save step in between.

Rich

b2martin

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2007, 10:18:38 am »

An NEF file from Capture Nx and an NEF file from the camera are not the same file type.  This same characteristic exists with Nikon Scan - you can save a RAW (NEF file) from Nikon Scan, but Photoshop will not open it.  

NEF is the extension Nikon uses for RAW files.  A RAW file from the camera only contains information on one color at each pixel location.  A RAW file from Nikon Capture Nx or Nikon Scan contains information on all colors at each pixel location, but processing is not complete, which is why it is considered a RAW file.  RAW files saved from Nikon image processing software can only be opened by the software that created the file and then you can complete the processing and save as a TIF, JPG, ETC.

Colorado David

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2007, 12:36:50 pm »

Thanks Gentlemen,

That's what I was afraid of.  I had a lot of chrome scanned to TIFF files at my local lab that I am going to submit to a stock agency.  I brought them into NX to work with the files and then added meta data in NX and saved them as NEF's.  Now they can't be opened anywhere else.  Tough break.  I saved them as NEF's in the first place to maintain the edit list on each image. I'm working under a deadline.  Back to work.  Thanks.

Best regards,
David
Pages: [1]   Go Up