Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rating photos in lightroom  (Read 3227 times)

erakon

Rating photos in lightroom
« on: March 04, 2007, 11:32:08 pm »

I have been playing around with lightroom for a few days now. At work I use Aperture which I gotta say is pretty sweet for my uses, but lightroom is growing on me.

My problem comes when rating my photos. When i set a rating to one i like, the program takes that photo to the top of my library and also take my cursor with it so that i loose my place in the library and have to go back and search for where I was.

I would like to be able to, as in aperture, rate my photos on the fly and not be taking to the top of the list everytime.

Does anyone know if there is a way to set lightroom to do this.

Thanks.

jliechty

« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2007, 12:01:30 am »

Check the "Sort:" option in the toolbar at the bottom of the grid view. If this is set to sort by rating, it makes sense that images would move out of their original order once rated. Try setting the sorting option to sort by capture time or something else to see if that solves the problem.

I have been playing around with lightroom for a few days now. At work I use Aperture which I gotta say is pretty sweet for my uses, but lightroom is growing on me.

My problem comes when rating my photos. When i set a rating to one i like, the program takes that photo to the top of my library and also take my cursor with it so that i loose my place in the library and have to go back and search for where I was.

I would like to be able to, as in aperture, rate my photos on the fly and not be taking to the top of the list everytime.

Does anyone know if there is a way to set lightroom to do this.

erakon

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2007, 12:11:44 am »

Nice,

Thanks jliechty worked great.

Now do you know how to fix the capture order problem? hahaha. The photos are all over the place, some are clumped into groups, others groups are split up and all over the place. I shot them on an old canon d30, not a 30d, maybe this has something to do with the import settings.

Woodcorner

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2007, 08:26:33 am »

Now do you know how to fix the capture order problem? hahaha. The photos are all over the place, some are clumped into groups, others groups are split up and all over the place. I shot them on an old canon d30, not a 30d, maybe this has something to do with the import settings.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=104712\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I had the same problem. It seems to be a bug in LR 1.0 for users upgrading from LR B4, quite often discussed in various LR related groups.

For some people the suggested workaraound is to select all images, apply a color flag, sort by color and then remove the color flag and return to normal sort order. This seems to re-write the database and re-sort the images correctly. Unfortunately, this only worked for some people.

Cheers,

Andrew

kbolin

• http://www.bolinphoto.com
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2007, 11:40:32 am »

I had the same problem with sorting of photos and it was also a B4.1 to V1.0 database problem.  

To fix it I:
- Exported the XMP Metadata for all photos.
- Created a new Lightroom database.
- Imported.

Voila... all fixed!  And it was rather painless too!

Kelly

Woodcorner

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2007, 04:04:36 am »

I had the same problem with sorting of photos and it was also a B4.1 to V1.0 database problem. 

To fix it I:
- Exported the XMP Metadata for all photos.
- Created a new Lightroom database.
- Imported.

Voila... all fixed!  And it was rather painless too!

Kelly
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=104808\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Kelly,

what happened to your collections, keywords, and other metadata you created before your fix? Were they still available in the new database/library? I would hate to loose all the work that went into them...

Andrew

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2007, 05:29:58 am »

Andrew

With that method, you will loose nothing but you will lose collections and keyword hierarchies. So the images will still have any keywords previously assigned to them, but you will lose any hierarchical structure you built up. You can try exporting the keywords as a text file and then importing, but this loses synonyms, and the imported keywords may come in as a flat list rather than in the original hierarchy.

John
Pages: [1]   Go Up