Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help! - 3800 on Hahnemuhle Photo Rag  (Read 2509 times)

ndanson

Help! - 3800 on Hahnemuhle Photo Rag
« on: March 04, 2007, 02:26:11 pm »

Can somebody tell me where I am going wrong...

I have just got an Epson 3800 and using photoshop to print colour using the following settings

Let Photoshop Determine Colors
Printer Profile: HFA3800PhotoRagMK
Relative Colorimetric (with black point correction ticked)

Media type as Velvet Fine Art Paper
No color adjustment

The problem is that although the colours are good they is a lack of detail in the greens - almost as if it was printed on blotting paper.

Is this how it should be?  When I print on Archival Matt (Epson) the results are very good - however, I want the feel of the Hahnemuhle paper.

Many thanks

Nigel

Richowens

« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2007, 02:40:23 pm »

Nigel,

Sounds like it may be laying down too much ink for the paper.

Try setting the ink limits to -10% or even -20%. This helped seperate the greens on my 2200 on all papers for me.

Rich

pflower

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2007, 02:48:48 pm »

I print on photo rag.  Out of the box my 3800 made very good prints using Enhanced matte as the media type and then using the canned profile for the same paper.  I experimented between the canned profiles for archival matte ( and the corresponding profile) and enhanced matte and really couldn't tell much of a difference.  I then had custom profiles made and the differences between the canned profiles and my custome profiles are really quite subtle.

On other forums I have heard that the Hahnemuhle profiles provided by Hahnemuhle are not very good.  I would suggest trying the Epson canned profiles for a comparison.

If your greens are looking horrible then it is possible that they are simply out of gamut and need a reduction in saturation.  Do a gamut check.  If out of gamut add an adjustment layer and reduce the greens until they come into gamut.  

If they are not out of gamut and they still print the same with the canned profiles then you may have a blocked nozzle.  I didn't shake the first cartridges I installed properly and did have a blocked nozzle. Since then I have been through 2 full sets of cartridges and about 3 additional ones without a single clog.

Brian Gilkes

• http://www.briangilkes.com.au
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2007, 04:19:06 pm »

You should be doing a nozzle check at least daily as a matter of course.
Hahnemuehle canned profiles had problems some months ago, but seem to have been updated and are now quite reasonable. All the same, their printer is not your printer and you should have a custom profile built.
There is no difference between Archival Matte and Enhanced Matte
Cheers
Brian
www.pharoseditions.com.au

NikosR

• http://
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2007, 04:08:38 am »

Hahn specify perceptual rendering intent with BPC off for their canned profiles.
Try that in your softproof, see if it changes things. I get lots of difference with these profiles when I change from relative to perceptual.

Also, as someone else suggested, VFA setting seems to lay down too much ink. Either play with the ink adjustement or try to use Archival/Enhanced Matte or Ultra Smooth Fine Art paper settings.

But first check the rendering intent.

Also make sure you download the latest profles from the Hahn site.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2007, 04:12:41 am by NikosR »
Nikos
Pages: [1]   Go Up