Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Optimized Web Galleries in Beta - gone in 1.0?  (Read 2860 times)

darrelleifert

Optimized Web Galleries in Beta - gone in 1.0?
« on: March 02, 2007, 10:28:00 pm »

Hi Folks --

One of the reasons I was so anxious to get Lightroom is that the Web Galleries in Beta 4 provided a little menu called "Connection" that allowed a viewer to select large or small images, depending on their internet speed (or, I assume, screen size).  That menu seems to have gone away in 1.0.  

Does anyone know if the Flash galleries generated by Lightroom are "smart" enough to resize the images depending on the viewer's browser resolution?  I think that it's important how a gallery appears on a client's monitor, and too large (scroll around) or too small (peer at the screen) strikes me as being less than professional.

Cheers,
-- Darrell

Sid EOS

« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2007, 06:27:02 am »

The galleries have three image sizes included, in my experience they do resize.

Sid Jervis

darrelleifert

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2007, 02:34:55 pm »

Thanks Sid -- that would be a truly useful feature.

-- Darrell

The galleries have three image sizes included, in my experience they do resize.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=104384\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Micah

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2007, 04:14:46 pm »

Yes, Lightroom generates three image size renditions when exporting a Flash gallery.  The gallery will automatically detect the size of itself, and  then download and display the largest image rendition it can.  If the browser window is resized such that a bigger rendition will fit, it will download it and display it (and start pre-fetching all the larger renditions).  When the window is made smaller such that the current rendition will not fit, it swaps to a smaller one.  It will not ever real-time scale the images to fit, with one exception.  If the gallery is too small to display the smallest image rendition it has access to at native size, it will scale it down to fit.  

Well, and actually you could change the "imageScale" param in the style.xml from "fitToScreen" to "downOnly" which would prevent the gallery from swapping image renditions.  The gallery would detect it's size at startup, choose the appropriate rendition, and always display that rendition size.  So if the window was resized, the same image size would be used, but would be real-time scaled. (the scroll bar on images was not popular and was removed) This is FYI only, as I don't know why anyone would want to do that, unless they were really ambitious and decided to add the bandwidth menus back in (which you could do by copying the associated XML out of an Elements gallery and pasting it into the localText.xml file of one exported out of Lightroom.

FYI, you can change, add, rand emove menus and menu items by editing the localText.xml file...
Pages: [1]   Go Up