Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Photoshop big files and layers  (Read 3037 times)

jschone

Photoshop big files and layers
« on: March 02, 2007, 05:49:02 pm »

Hi,

I have some files of 35 mm t-max 400 (scanned 4800 dpi) which will have a lot of masking on them (usually adjustment layers with applied gradients on layer mask). These files have to be printed 50x70 cm and with all layers included they usually go up-to 1.5-2 gb. All layers are important (maybe I could merge some of them, but I could loose some work done). My questions are:

1-  What is your preferred way of working with files that you want to print big. Do you work on a smaller copy and transfer the layers to the bigger, final size of print (and if yes, how do you handle masking and making sure that the original has the same ratio and dpi as the "worked"  version? ---> masks wrongly placed).
2- Is there a possibility to use two or more different gradients on a layer mask? For example, I have a photo with 3 people. I would like to give more light just to the 3 faces. I make the adjustment curve and with the circular gradient I apply the curve to a face. Is there the possibility to apply 3 different circular gradients on one mask? As it seems, I have to make 3 curve adjustment layers for the three faces and apply a circular gradient to each one of them. If I try to put another gradient on a mask it just re-adjusts the old gradient instead of adding a second one. Making 3 adjustment layers for each face just adds to the file size. I would like to have one adjustment layer, one mask, witht 3 gradients. Of course, I could jsut use the brush and paint in on the mask, but that will not give me the same control as a a gradient (even with the Wacom tablet).

All in all, problem is, files are becoming to big to become workable (even with just adjustment layers). Any consultancy on how to handle bigger files  (> 1.5gb)would be more then welcome.

Hardware wise, specs are the following: g5 Quad, 4.5 gb, 2x250 bg (internal and external scratch). Does not seem to be the limitation. Just starting to reach the 2gb file limit of PS too often (I must be doing wrong something).

Jochem
« Last Edit: March 02, 2007, 05:55:45 pm by jschone »

dmerger

« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2007, 05:57:29 pm »

Dean Erger

Tim Gray

• http://www.timgrayphotography.com
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2007, 08:45:13 pm »

You can go into the channel that represents the mask and marquee the circular gradient you made then copy and paste back into that channel - you can move the selection (ie gradient) etc. etc.  I'm surprised you get better results using a gradient.  I'd have thought that repeated strokes with a low opacity brush would give you more control.

Since each file needs to be sharpened depending on the final size, I flatten all layers, resize, sharpen then simply save as jpg since (although with the new HP's this is changing) you can't print more than 8 bit and I don't print from PS.  If I need to edit or resize for a different print I go back to the original.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2007, 08:46:57 pm by Tim Gray »

jschone

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2007, 06:23:16 am »

Thank you for the replies. What I am actually looking for is to use three <i>different</i> gradients on one mask.
In almost all cases low opacity brush will give you more control, but with faces I found a circular gradient to be much quicker. Just wondering if I could use more of them one mask.

Jochem

You can go into the channel that represents the mask and marquee the circular gradient you made then copy and paste back into that channel - you can move the selection (ie gradient) etc. etc.  I'm surprised you get better results using a gradient.  I'd have thought that repeated strokes with a low opacity brush would give you more control.

Since each file needs to be sharpened depending on the final size, I flatten all layers, resize, sharpen then simply save as jpg since (although with the new HP's this is changing) you can't print more than 8 bit and I don't print from PS.  If I need to edit or resize for a different print I go back to the original.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=104334\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

orangekay

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2007, 07:33:53 am »

Thank you for the replies. What I am actually looking for is to use three <i>different</i> gradients on one mask.
In almost all cases low opacity brush will give you more control, but with faces I found a circular gradient to be much quicker. Just wondering if I could use more of them one mask.

Jochem
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=104383\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Set the background color of the gradient to transparent and it won't draw over anything else in the selection.

Though the use of a circular gradient for building a mask for a person's face is a truly horrid retouching practice which is going to yield very obvious and very unprofessional halos around people's heads.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2007, 07:41:00 am by orangekay »

jschone

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2007, 10:16:07 am »

Thank you, orange, that was exactly what I was looking for.

Jochem

Set the background color of the gradient to transparent and it won't draw over anything else in the selection.

Though the use of a circular gradient for building a mask for a person's face is a truly horrid retouching practice which is going to yield very obvious and very unprofessional halos around people's heads.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=104390\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Pages: [1]   Go Up