Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Panoramic  (Read 3737 times)

fike

• Hiker Photographer
    • trailpixie.net
Panoramic
« on: March 02, 2007, 01:27:08 pm »

In some ways I hate showing images like this for online critique because it is a panoramic that can't be fully appreciated unless it is printed and viewed closely.  I printed this one 13"x30".  It is a crop from a 2x11 mosaic--approximately 1.5x9 images are shown here.  While I bemoan showing detailed panoramics online, I also think that if an image works from a distance (like the online viewing experience) and also works from closeup, then it might be a really great image.  

I like the image, but my major beef with the image is the fact that the repetition in the central and left portion of the image are not maintained all the way to the right.  I considered cropping the image, but that left me with foreground elements (the little pine tree in front of the trees) displayed more prominenently as another deviation from a nice natural repetition.  So, I left the stuff on the right and chalked it up to nature is imperfect.  I guess I could try to dig up the image before I cropped it down to this.

Critique is welcome.
Fike, Trailpixie, or Marc Shaffer

ckimmerle

• http://www.chuckkimmerle.com
Panoramic
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2007, 01:52:01 pm »

Man, I'd love to see that photo large....but, from what I can tell from the web size, it's beautiful. I agree that the right side interrupts the repeating pattern a bit, but it's not aggressively distracting. Perhaps it might help to burn the 1/4 tones down a bit on that side, if it really bothers you, to make those trees better blend with the others.

Chuck
"The real voyage of discove

fike

• Hiker Photographer
    • trailpixie.net
Panoramic
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2007, 09:14:35 pm »

Here it is a little bigger. I said above that the image was a 2x11.  I was mistaken, actually it is 2x6 images.  The resolution of this cropped version is 7200x3048 pixels.

...and here is the uncropped version a full 2x6 images.  8810x5163 pixels.

AndyF2

Panoramic
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2007, 09:43:52 pm »

Very nice photo, Fike.
The snow-laden branches of the tree on the right and smaller tree beside it are discordant with the remainder of the scene and unbalance it, I feel.  Try the first image you posted (very definitely with the sky cropped out!), and only use the left 74% of the image.  (Include the thicker tree near the 74% point, don't crop that out)  On the "little bigger" post of 9:14PM, I think I'd pick the left 68% of the image.  The forest is then more even in style and the short tree covered with snow near the lower left-center gives the eye a nice off-central point on which to return and rest.  The forest would by symmetrical in style around that.
Then print it large so someone can just stand in front of it and be pulled into the forest!
Andy

Pete JF

Panoramic
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2007, 03:23:12 am »

I think part of the problem you're having with the pic is that there are some haphazard perspective issues in it. The foreground line is slightly off and in this image it seems like it is appropriate for the line formed by the bases of the trees to be level, closer to horizontal. It's off a bit and that seems to contribute to disrupting the rhythm of this thing.

Also, the trees themselves could use a little nudge to the right. I used a tiny transform move to  get them more formal. I spose formal is the key all through this picture...you are in a very formal mode here and things just need to get a bit tighter.

Also, I took a bit of the attention off of the far right side by taking some white off the rice. Rough, quick moves here so don't critique my critique.

This may or may not help...i had to stop doing this because my dog started eating my chair leg and I almost went down.

One more thing that you, my friend fike, have to find...where's waldo?

before:

after:

fike

• Hiker Photographer
    • trailpixie.net
Panoramic
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2007, 10:25:32 pm »

I think part of the problem you're having with the pic is that there are some haphazard perspective issues in it. The foreground line is slightly off and in this image it seems like it is appropriate for the line formed by the bases of the trees to be level, closer to horizontal. It's off a bit and that seems to contribute to disrupting the rhythm of this thing.

Also, the trees themselves could use a little nudge to the right. I used a tiny transform move to  get them more formal. I spose formal is the key all through this picture...you are in a very formal mode here and things just need to get a bit tighter.

Also, I took a bit of the attention off of the far right side by taking some white off the rice. Rough, quick moves here so don't critique my critique.

This may or may not help...i had to stop doing this because my dog started eating my chair leg and I almost went down.

One more thing that you, my friend fike, have to find...where's waldo?

before:

after:

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=104520\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I like the straightening of the tree on the right and the foreground treeline.  I will need to mess with that.

thanks
Pages: [1]   Go Up