Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fish Eye Lenses & Software  (Read 7044 times)

Del

Fish Eye Lenses & Software
« on: March 02, 2007, 12:45:18 pm »

I have recently seen some examples of photographs that were the result of taking the photo using a fish-eye lens, and then using software to give it a more traditional wide-angle appearance.  Can someone point me in the right direction to find more information about this, and just as importantly, advise me of any potential drawbacks.

Thanks
Del

Kirk Gittings

• http://www.KirkGittings.com
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2007, 12:54:10 pm »

The draw backs are the amount of interpolation that takes place to stretch or compact various parts of the image leading to odd artifacts. I would consider doing multiple standard images of the same location and the stitching them together to get it all in. A well done stitch will give you a much better final image than what you are proposing. Do a search here for threads on stitching for more info.
Thanks,
Kirk Gittings

Michael Bailey

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2007, 07:59:02 pm »

Hi Del,

I have used the Sigma 15mm fisheye on my Fuji S-2 for three years now and have to say I have been surprisingly happy with it, for several reasons.

First, the lens itself was about 900 dollars cheaper than a good equivalent straight-line lens. That, of course, was the main reason I bought it.

Second, even with the Photoshop fixing, it is very sharp to the corners and illumination is even. I guess once a lens designer realizes he doesn't have to worry about making straight lines straight, he can do a lot better on the other characteristics a good lens needs.

Third, it is smaller and lighter than, say, a 14mm Nikkor, and I can be a little more "direct" in handling it when I pull it out of the camera bag. (Fewer worries about scratching a very big, very expensive front element!)

Fourth, and this was another surprise, there are a lot of times when fisheye really looks better than straight wide angle. Obviously, if you need your building facade to look square, it needs to look square. But I've been in many situations where the slight fisheye actually looked MORE natural than straight-line. Just one example: In a random crowd of people, the folks in the corners won't have egg-shaped heads. Their bodies might be bowed, but they won't look fat and top-heavy. I suppose this is a long way of saying that, at extreme wide angle, everything has got some kind of distortion, so it's just a matter of picking your poison.

The current Photoshop contains a lens distortion filter, but I can't get it to work with this lens, so I stick to my original choice of software, "Debarrelizer" by The Imaging Factory. I think it's 30 or 40 bucks, very easy to use, and can be set as an action in Photoshop to correct a whole batch of files at once.

A few times I have used software based on the amazing PanoTools program to fix distortion in only one direction. Result: the look of a scanning panoramic camera. (Of course you could do this with a regular lens, too.)

Drawbacks. Well, there's the obvious need for Photoshop correction, should you elect to straighten. The correction means that parts of the picture will get shaved off. It's pretty easy to tell what's going to go, but that does mean you'll have yet another thing to think about while you shoot.

One effect I hadn't predicted was that the final aspect ratio of the photo will be different than the original 2:3. Because more gets trimmed on the longer dimension, the finished aspect ratio will be closer to 2:3.5.

Keep in mind that the results I'm talking about are based on a full-frame (35mm) fisheye lens used on a camera with 1.5 focal length multiplier, so the original files are not all THAT fisheye to start with. I think if you're considering the 10.5 mm Nikon fisheye, the story is different. That lens is designed for the APS sensor, so getting straight line out of it would call for a lot more nipping and tucking. (I understand that the Nikon software will do that for you if you're shooting on a Nikon camera.) I have heard that digital interpolation is an issue for getting that lens to "go straight."

Hope this helps.   MB

Gary Brown

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2007, 08:30:38 pm »

Here are a couple of reviews that might be of interest, with fisheye "correction" examples:
Fisheye-Hemi Plug-in
DxO Optics Pro Software

PeterBCarter

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2007, 10:46:12 am »

I have an Olympus 8mm full frame fisheye. I bought it because I wanted to take shots of historic buildings, which tend to be placed on narrow streets. I was really interested in just getting 'up close' in an impossible situation.

I came across a PS plugin from Kekus called LensFix. Although it is used mostly for fixing barrel distortions , it has a 'adjust' function that can (and I do) use to flatten out a fish-eye. There are some visual examples on their site.

Catch? Yep, I believe it's MacOS only. I'm not infected with PC's here, so I have not looked.    

Here is an image of the Parliament Building in Ottawa, taken just across the street. It's about 3-4 car widths wide and this shot was made just to make a point. When you consider the full tower made it in, I was happy with the results.

I took this shot only to get some material to work with. With more care in camera placement and time spent in PS, the plugin would have given me a more perfect shot.

« Last Edit: July 15, 2007, 10:50:44 am by PeterBCarter »

keith_cooper

• Northlight Images
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2007, 11:13:12 am »

Here are a couple of reviews that might be of interest, with fisheye "correction" examples:
Fisheye-Hemi Plug-in
DxO Optics Pro Software
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I've a couple of similar reviews that might be of interest (in a slightly different style to Ken :-)
[a href=\"http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/reviews/plugins/fish-eye-hemi.html]Fisheye-Hemi Plug-in[/url]
DxO Optics Pro Software

While using DxO for full de-fishing gives an impressively wide angle, you lose a lot of detail at the edges - looks fine for web work, but be careful if you are printing.

The Fisheye-hemi is great if you've got people in the picture (see the equivalent -variable- volume anamorphosis feature on the DxO page)

Overall it's software like this that means I happily take the 15mm with me on interior shoots (along with a 24mm Tilt/shift and 16-35) It gives the flexibility to try a few more types of shot, and if the client really likes one of them, then so much the better ;-)
bye for now -- Keith
[url=http://www.nor

mballent

• http://www.ballentphoto.com
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2007, 02:27:47 pm »

I have recently seen some examples of photographs that were the result of taking the photo using a fish-eye lens, and then using software to give it a more traditional wide-angle appearance.  Can someone point me in the right direction to find more information about this, and just as importantly, advise me of any potential drawbacks.

Thanks
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=104253\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

If you are using a Nikon 10.5mm DX fisheye and have Capture NX its a one click fix in the software.  I do not have that combination but you could possibly find something in pbase.
-Michael
[url=http://www.ballentphoto.co

Michael Bailey

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2007, 08:52:30 pm »

For what it's worth, there's a PC equivalent to LensFix is called PTLens. It works either independently or as a Photoshop plug-in--your choice.

MB

Iwill

• http://www.IrvsArt.com
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2007, 09:34:18 pm »

Michael Reichman, our kind host on Luminous Landscape, wrote a very interesting review of a Nikon 15mm fisheye lens and a neat software program (ImageAlign) for removing the fisheye distortions:

http://luminous-landscape.com/reviews/imagealign.shtml

The review also lists other software solutions for this purpose.  Note that ImageAlign is now much less expensive than it was when Michael's review was written.

Have a look at Michael's review; the ImageAlign results look very good.

Irv
Pages: [1]   Go Up