Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Out Of Memory  (Read 4951 times)

Doc

• http://www.52photos.com
Out Of Memory
« on: March 02, 2007, 08:26:00 am »

Hi to one and all -
I keep getting Out of Memory warnings - anyone else ?

Ie: I do a 40 page photo slide show and half the pages have a grey background and a diagonal red line through them - with the words "Out Of Memory" written backwards on those pages ?

Now I am starting to see it on the Main Grid window.

The data bases are small as I keep a few of them for different jobs (Re-named after I copy over a template one I set up.)

I have a 2.6Ghz Duo Core - PC - Windows XP - 4 GB Ram - 4 x 300Gb Hard drives .... and a top end Nvidia Card.

Lr is not set to catalog the whole 38,000 photos I have in my main collection - its only got 3,500 in the working folder.

Am I missing something here ?

Anyone ?

For those of you that are in the NAPP forum  - I did post it in there - it was replied to with  ...

"There is a faq regarding performance issues to be found at the LR site referenced in the LR help. -- For me, it was as simple as upgrading a video card driver."
By Tripod.

I was wondering if anyone in here had the same issue ?

Doc.

Learning everyday !

rhellie

Out Of Memory
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2007, 09:49:04 am »

I have the same issue with Lr on my PC.  It has dual AMD Opteron 280 processors 4GB of memory and lots of disk space.  The library has only 6,000 images.  I frequently get a gray screen with a backwards and upside down Out of Memory message in large red letters.  I have no idea why this is happening.  If I exit the program and begin again the problem goes away for awhile, but usually returns.

marclile

Out Of Memory
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2007, 11:43:19 am »

from what i've experienced, LR is very much a memory hog.  i only have 1 gig and it ALWAYS uses up all of my memory.

vWoning

Out Of Memory
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2007, 12:10:51 pm »

Ditto. I run a dual core Athlon64 and 2GB ram. I experienced one Out Of Memory error and several outright crashes. Windows XP has helpfully offered to "Tell Microsoft about this problem" once. (With their Vista woes I'm sure they don't want to know)  

Lightroom does something that Bridge never did. If I open an annual folder (say a 2004 images folder) it immediately attempts to render thumbnails of the entire tree, even though I have the 12 months in sub folders and daily shoots sub foldered under that! It's trying to render 8800+ images and dies trying.

I'm using a demo version of LR1.0. I enjoy Lightroom for one specific benefit: offloading memory cards into 2 archives (2 drives) simultaneously, while appending the metadata (adding my copyright info). It's not enough to justify the price.

I can edit RAW files with the CS2 RAW converter, I can sort/tag/rank in Bridge, and I suppose I can make global metadata ammendments in Bridge. LR would save me some steps in the workflow if I could keep it running, but it appears to be leaking all over my RAM. I don't even attempt to run other programs while working in LR.

Not ready for Prime Time.

mattSee

Out Of Memory
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2007, 11:42:27 am »

Hi to one and all -
I keep getting Out of Memory warnings - anyone else ?

Yes I am also getting them, but strangely when I look at memory in use is is no where near maxed out?

Using Windows XP 2Gb of RAM.

I thought there might be a setting to increase the amount of memory that can be allocated to LightRoom somewhere inside Lightroom but I have not been able to
find anything.

DavidJ

• http://www.pistyllphoto.org.uk
Out Of Memory
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2007, 12:18:37 pm »

Happened to me for the first time a couple of days ago. Not doing anything with large number of files. PC is pretty up to date dual Athlon 64 with 2Gb of RAM.

Had to close Lightroom and even when reloaded it gave the out of memory message so a reboot needed to clear memory.

David
David Allen

john beardsworth

• My photography site
Out Of Memory
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2007, 12:51:40 pm »

Post this, with as much detail as you can, at Adobe's forum.

Wolf Eilers

Out Of Memory
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2007, 07:43:32 pm »

Lr is not a memory hog -- no more so than any other image processing program I run.

I occasionally get the infamous "Out of Memory" error, but it has no bearing on how much RAM your computer has or how much of that memory Lr might be using. I trust Adobe will quash that bug, but the workaround is to close and restart Lr when it occurs.

(And it only seems to occur on Windows machines -- sigh.)
Pages: [1]   Go Up