Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Windows XP 32? 64? or Vista ?  (Read 3749 times)

Christopher

• http://www.hauser-photoart.com
Windows XP 32? 64? or Vista ?
« on: March 02, 2007, 05:21:54 am »

Hello,

I'm just rebuilding my workstation and need a new OS. I have a old Win XP 32, but that is out of reach for a month and I need a solution fast.

What OS should I use ? Windows XP 32bit ? 64bit or Vista ?

The PC is following:
Intel C2D 6700er,
Intel board
4GB Ram
2 x NV 73er GT

I use the PC for following software and things.
- Photoshop
- Lightroom
- Pano Tool Assambler
- Photoshop Plugins like: Blow Up, PkSharpner, and some others
- HP z3100 print driver

What will be the difference ? With wich OS should I go ? What are benefits and drawbacks ?

Can Photoshop adress more Mamorey under a 64bit OS ? Or is it still limitatad ?

Thanks a lot for the help.

Christopher
Christopher Hauser
[email=chris@hauser-p

nemophoto

• Nemo Niemann Photography
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2007, 11:03:00 am »

I can't quite tell you what's best, more the pro and cons associated.

WinXP Pro is well proven, if "old", plentiful drivers, etc available. Both Vista and WinXP 64 are not fully supported by all drivers. Most manufacturers have some sort of driver available -- beta or otherwise -- but you may have to manually search for drivers on the net before you install. I did this when I thought of going the 64-bit route and gave up because there were so many I had to find. This is always the case with new operating systems, 64-bit WinXP included.

Microsoft has done much to make Vista compatible, but there are some program issues, though I haven't heard anything concrete.

From a performance standpoint (read in PC World and PC Mag), WinXP 32 is actually a bit faster than Vista and XP64, when running single programs. When multitasking, Vista is slightly faster. WinXp 64 has the main advantage of accessing more RAM which in itself provides a speed boost to some programs, but otherwise, it's slightly slower than the 32-bit counterpart.

I for one will upgrade to Vista eventually, on my notebook first, since I have fewer programs and drivers. If rock solid compatiblility and getting up to speed easily is your main criteria, I'd go with XP32. If future expansion is your desire, and you can put up with the initial bugs and incompatible drivers, go Vista. 64-bit is tempting, but, in my mind, for my own convoluted, self-built system, isn't there yet. After I upgrade the size of my drive and go to a RAID setup, I may bite the bullet and go with a dual-boot situation with 32-bit and 64-bit. FWIW.

Nemo

Hello,

I'm just rebuilding my workstation and need a new OS. I have a old Win XP 32, but that is out of reach for a month and I need a solution fast.

What OS should I use ? Windows XP 32bit ? 64bit or Vista ?

The PC is following:
Intel C2D 6700er,
Intel board
4GB Ram
2 x NV 73er GT

I use the PC for following software and things.
- Photoshop
- Lightroom
- Pano Tool Assambler
- Photoshop Plugins like: Blow Up, PkSharpner, and some others
- HP z3100 print driver

What will be the difference ? With wich OS should I go ? What are benefits and drawbacks ?

Can Photoshop adress more Mamorey under a 64bit OS ? Or is it still limitatad ?

Thanks a lot for the help.

Christopher
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=104176\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

ranjans

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2007, 11:51:56 am »

You may find this thread on another forum quite useful.
Find it here

Christopher

• http://www.hauser-photoart.com
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2007, 07:43:42 pm »

So after I'm finished with setting everything up, I thought I give you some feedback.

I looked around and decided to go with Windows XP Prof. 64bit. Why ? Because I own a 32bit version, and after I read a lot about Vista I didn't want to go that way.
I'm glad I did. Windows XP x64 is around now for over a year, so driver suporrt is great. I found everything I needed pretty fast. Only for the new Z3100 took me a little longer. Lightroom is running fine. Photoshop is fantastic. I work with a lot of stitched files, so working with real 3,5 GB of Ram is really great. It helps a lot.

So final comment: Windows XP Prof. x64 is great. I'm very happy with my choice.
Christopher Hauser
[email=chris@hauser-p
Pages: [1]   Go Up