Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Broncolor Lighting? Beauty/Location, Help needed!!  (Read 30100 times)

Kika Livno

• http://
Broncolor Lighting? Beauty/Location, Help needed!!
« on: March 02, 2007, 05:17:15 am »

Hi, I want to buy Broncolor Ring Flash, two Soft Boxes and other necessary pieces but it is very expensive and I don't like to go beyond what is necessary because I don't have the money to make mistake. I will need the set-up that will work on location and in studio also I would like to know some tips as to what to include with regards to the lighting setup for beauty shots also. I would need assistance to put the correct list together. Thank you.

BTW is there a link to Broncolor forum?

Best regards
[span style='font-size:12pt;line-height:

Khun_K

« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2007, 11:44:37 am »

Hi, I want to buy Broncolor Ring Flash, two Soft Boxes and other necessary pieces but it is very expensive and I don't like to go beyond what is necessary because I don't have the money to make mistake. I will need the set-up that will work on location and in studio also I would like to know some tips as to what to include with regards to the lighting setup for beauty shots also. I would need assistance to put the correct list together. Thank you.

BTW is there a link to Broncolor forum?

Best regards
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=104175\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
The bron-color is easy to work with, very durable, and consistent to work. I have been using the ring flash for about 5 years and never failed. However for the location shoot you will also need to have a mobile (battery) power pack, I am using mobile packs and some Verso A2, which gives a few hundred of shots per battery, base on the setting of course. This is important for location work. The Verso A2 or A4 can be use either AC or batter, and so is the mobile pack, which is quite versatile. You will also need a radio slave which give you more convenience to work, especially when you shoot in area with wet groud then the sync cord may not work, and usually it won't.  My ring flash is not the latest but still have the same output (3,200watt/h max. and 1,200watt/h on mobile power pack), and cannot use the focus grid or ajust the angle such as the ringflash P but both are equal capable.  I think bron-color is certainly not the cheap one, but it worth every penny.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2007, 11:45:53 am by Khun_K »

wilburdl

• http://darnellwilburn.com
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2007, 04:05:58 pm »

The bron-color is easy to work with, very durable, and consistent to work. I have been using the ring flash for about 5 years and never failed. However for the location shoot you will also need to have a mobile (battery) power pack, I am using mobile packs and some Verso A2, which gives a few hundred of shots per battery, base on the setting of course. This is important for location work. The Verso A2 or A4 can be use either AC or batter, and so is the mobile pack, which is quite versatile. You will also need a radio slave which give you more convenience to work, especially when you shoot in area with wet groud then the sync cord may not work, and usually it won't.  My ring flash is not the latest but still have the same output (3,200watt/h max. and 1,200watt/h on mobile power pack), and cannot use the focus grid or ajust the angle such as the ringflash P but both are equal capable.  I think bron-color is certainly not the cheap one, but it worth every penny.
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Don't know how much this will help but I use Profoto monolights. If I had to do it over again I would have probably went with the pack and heads because there is more light modifiers. But as it is, I use lightboxes and barn doors and get by pretty nicely. Very good output. My units are the old compactflash ligths but I think they're working on an updated version.

When I'm on location, I use the tronix explorer (at $260 rather cheap and last about 2-3 hours). Here's a link: [a href=\"http://robgalbraith.com/bins/content_page.asp?cid=7-7883-7908]http://robgalbraith.com/bins/content_page....cid=7-7883-7908[/url]
Darnell
Editorial Photographer | Cartoon

Kika Livno

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2007, 03:24:52 am »

The bron-color is easy to work with, very durable, and consistent to work. I have been using the ring flash for about 5 years and never failed. However for the location shoot you will also need to have a mobile (battery) power pack, I am using mobile packs and some Verso A2, which gives a few hundred of shots per battery, base on the setting of course. This is important for location work. The Verso A2 or A4 can be use either AC or batter, and so is the mobile pack, which is quite versatile. You will also need a radio slave which give you more convenience to work, especially when you shoot in area with wet groud then the sync cord may not work, and usually it won't.  My ring flash is not the latest but still have the same output (3,200watt/h max. and 1,200watt/h on mobile power pack), and cannot use the focus grid or ajust the angle such as the ringflash P but both are equal capable.  I think bron-color is certainly not the cheap one, but it worth every penny.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=104234\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Which one do you use Bron Pulso or Primo and did you try it with the Bron Soft light dish?

I like your suggestion but i can easily get too much on the list or sometimes not enough.

What should be on my list considering the current production and of course how many extra batteries? Can I use Chimera Soft boxes, do they need modification on connectors? etc.

I hope I am not asking too much, it's just that I can't get away with few pieces when it comes to equipment, it's always more, more, more.

If you/anybody can advise on transport solutions I would appreciate it, Trunks, etc.

BTW, I DON"T LIKE THE BRONCOLOR STANDS, Is there something more stable?

Thank you

All The Best
« Last Edit: March 03, 2007, 03:37:40 am by Kika Livno »

Kika Livno

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2007, 03:36:02 am »

Don't know how much this will help but I use Profoto monolights. If I had to do it over again I would have probably went with the pack and heads because there is more light modifiers. But as it is, I use lightboxes and barn doors and get by pretty nicely. Very good output. My units are the old compactflash ligths but I think they're working on an updated version.

When I'm on location, I use the tronix explorer (at $260 rather cheap and last about 2-3 hours). Here's a link: http://robgalbraith.com/bins/content_page....cid=7-7883-7908
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=104294\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
For me it's either Broncolor or Profoto but I like Broncolor better. Honestly I am sick of cheap stuff so many out there. I have to stick with good company and good service.

Profoto is good many top photographers use them but I will try my chance with Broncolor.

I am not sure if I can mix and Match with Broncolor? or can you with Profoto? with different parts made by different comany.

All The Best
« Last Edit: March 03, 2007, 03:41:43 am by Kika Livno »

Khun_K

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2007, 04:19:06 am »

Which one do you use Bron Pulso or Primo and did you try it with the Bron Soft light dish?

I like your suggestion but i can easily get too much on the list or sometimes not enough.

What should be on my list considering the current production and of course how many extra batteries? Can I use Chimera Soft boxes, do they need modification on connectors? etc.

I hope I am not asking too much, it's just that I can't get away with few pieces when it comes to equipment, it's always more, more, more.

If you/anybody can advise on transport solutions I would appreciate it, Trunks, etc.

BTW, I DON"T LIKE THE BRONCOLOR STANDS, Is there something more stable?

Thank you

All The Best
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=104368\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
My old studio lighting system were some Elinchrom and softboxes and some mono lights which I still use sometimes. I started to use Bron-color from the mobile pack, and the mobile lite and picolight (with pulso adaptor they are just wonderful to use on location for their miniature size and reasonable powerful output) and ringh flash, then slowly migrate to more bro-color equipment with some pulso G lamp bases, verso A2, Nano A4 and Grafit A2/A4 and some reflecors and the Staro and a 2.2meter Para, that I use them as my primary equipment for studio and location. They are of very high quality and easy to operate.
I have 5 battery for my mobile pack and just one each for the verso and they have covered every assignments I have but may be you can start slow and add 1-2 each time. I use staro, not the soft dish because I like the character of the staro, or I just use the umbrellas. The Para is perhaps the most versatile lighting system I use and as close to perfect as anything can be.  And for lighting equipment, I am afraid that you are right, more is always better, more light gives you more flexibility, but lighting - especially bron-color, can evntually accumulate to high dollars, but lighting is among the most valued investment, it stays at good service during many generation changes of camera, and lighting is something once you get mastered, you can use it with any camera.  I use bron-color stand mixed with manfroto stand, they are pretty much alike, and I would suggest you to get those with air cushion to protect the head better.
If not bron-color, perhaps profoto is equally good, except they don't have the Para, yet.

Khun_K

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2007, 04:23:17 am »

For me it's either Broncolor or Profoto but I like Broncolor better. Honestly I am sick of cheap stuff so many out there. I have to stick with good company and good service.

Profoto is good many top photographers use them but I will try my chance with Broncolor.

I am not sure if I can mix and Match with Broncolor? or can you with Profoto? with different parts made by different comany.

All The Best
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=104370\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I like the profoto because their lamp base is often light weight and compact and look very nice, their powerpack has large thick cable to give confidence. And all their packs are black so it is less distracting if somehow the powerpack come inside the reflection of product of the eye of the model. Since I am very much into bron-color already so I am not going to switch, I think they are of equal quality and it is just a matter of preference, you can't go wrong with either one. I sometime mixed bron-color and Elinchrome, no problem at all. I suppose you can mix profoto and bron-color as well.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2007, 04:24:32 am by Khun_K »

Kika Livno

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2007, 01:50:59 pm »

My old studio lighting system were some Elinchrom and softboxes and some mono lights which I still use sometimes. I started to use Bron-color from the mobile pack, and the mobile lite and picolight (with pulso adaptor they are just wonderful to use on location for their miniature size and reasonable powerful output) and ringh flash, then slowly migrate to more bro-color equipment with some pulso G lamp bases, verso A2, Nano A4 and Grafit A2/A4 and some reflecors and the Staro and a 2.2meter Para, that I use them as my primary equipment for studio and location. They are of very high quality and easy to operate.
I have 5 battery for my mobile pack and just one each for the verso and they have covered every assignments I have but may be you can start slow and add 1-2 each time. I use staro, not the soft dish because I like the character of the staro, or I just use the umbrellas. The Para is perhaps the most versatile lighting system I use and as close to perfect as anything can be.  And for lighting equipment, I am afraid that you are right, more is always better, more light gives you more flexibility, but lighting - especially bron-color, can evntually accumulate to high dollars, but lighting is among the most valued investment, it stays at good service during many generation changes of camera, and lighting is something once you get mastered, you can use it with any camera.  I use bron-color stand mixed with manfroto stand, they are pretty much alike, and I would suggest you to get those with air cushion to protect the head better.
If not bron-color, perhaps profoto is equally good, except they don't have the Para, yet.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=104375\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Thank you very much for the equipment list. Did you use Honeycomb grid for pulsoflex or Pulso-Flooter S (fresnel Lens) and what are they specifically best for?

Is mobile (battery) power pack something different then Broncolor Grafit A4 power packs or is it something the is attached additionally to Grafit A4 power packs when on location?

How many Power-Packs can be synchronized together without any problems? are they synchronized with Pocket-Wizard or dedicated radio slave and do radio slaves come in pairs or...?

How many batteries do you think I need for Broncolor Grafit A4 power packs on Location?

Is it good to start with 1  or 2 Broncolor Grafit A4 power packs or maybe you have different suggestion.

Thank you very much

All The Best
« Last Edit: March 03, 2007, 01:51:45 pm by Kika Livno »

Kika Livno

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2007, 02:03:06 pm »

I like the profoto because their lamp base is often light weight and compact and look very nice, their powerpack has large thick cable to give confidence. And all their packs are black so it is less distracting if somehow the powerpack come inside the reflection of product of the eye of the model.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=104376\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
You are so right. I always liked Broncolor because they physically look better to me but you have very good point about Profoto.

All The Best

pss

• http://www.schefz.com
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2007, 03:54:59 pm »

You are so right. I always liked Broncolor because they physically look better to me but you have very good point about Profoto.

All The Best
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=104438\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

i had a full broncolor battery powered set up (and ringlight and monolights), worked well, never let me down.....then i discovered hensel (my freinds in europe had been taling about it for years...) now i am hensel only...the portys have the longest lasting batteries, full model light, most pops per charge out of any battery pack, well built and much cheaper then broncolor or profoto.....i have some portys, velas and a couple of monolights...nothing ever breaks...
when broncolor announced the verso, i started pricing a kit (because the verso has the 300watt model light).....a comparable kit is 3x the money...and recycles slower and gets fewer pops per charge.....the only thing i would really want broncolor for is the para......but if i would spend 20-30 000 for a kit now, i would look at briese (that is where broncolor got the idea....)....
i don't think broncolor is bad, they have great products....but i think they are seriously overpriced and often a few years behind in function and features.....
a porty kit (1200ws) with 1 head, 2 batteries, pack, bag, softbox, umbrella, cable, stands, wireless trigger and control! is 3000 at B&H, the ringlight is 1000, it is the only ringlight that has an optional softbox/reflector which is amazing, great for beauty....(about 500).....

of course every head/pack has built in slaves and all the latest ones come with remote control trigger and poweradjustment (with broncolor the same feature is the price of a whole porty kit...no joke....exactly the same....hensel just comes with it....)
one feature that neither broncolor nor profoto have is the porty bi-head....two packs connected to one head for faster recycle or 2400ws portable power......very nice....

David Anderson

• http://www.twigwater.com
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2007, 04:44:54 pm »

Kika,

If you want a simple Bron location set-up have a look at the Softlight dish, they're compact and easy to handle if the wind is up, make sure you also get the honeycomb if you want more direct light.

ProPhoto is great gear as well, the 5 foot Octa light is one of the best allround boxes I've ever used, on a 7B pack it's a wonderful outdoor set-up...

mattlap2

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2007, 11:25:30 pm »

i had a full broncolor battery powered set up (and ringlight and monolights), worked well, never let me down.....then i discovered hensel (my freinds in europe had been taling about it for years...) now i am hensel only...the portys have the longest lasting batteries, full model light, most pops per charge out of any battery pack, well built and much cheaper then broncolor or profoto.....i have some portys, velas and a couple of monolights...nothing ever breaks...
when broncolor announced the verso, i started pricing a kit (because the verso has the 300watt model light).....a comparable kit is 3x the money...and recycles slower and gets fewer pops per charge.....the only thing i would really want broncolor for is the para......but if i would spend 20-30 000 for a kit now, i would look at briese (that is where broncolor got the idea....)....
i don't think broncolor is bad, they have great products....but i think they are seriously overpriced and often a few years behind in function and features.....
a porty kit (1200ws) with 1 head, 2 batteries, pack, bag, softbox, umbrella, cable, stands, wireless trigger and control! is 3000 at B&H, the ringlight is 1000, it is the only ringlight that has an optional softbox/reflector which is amazing, great for beauty....(about 500).....

of course every head/pack has built in slaves and all the latest ones come with remote control trigger and poweradjustment (with broncolor the same feature is the price of a whole porty kit...no joke....exactly the same....hensel just comes with it....)
one feature that neither broncolor nor profoto have is the porty bi-head....two packs connected to one head for faster recycle or 2400ws portable power......very nice....
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=104449\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The Broncolor Verso offers almost more than 1 1/2 times the flashes of the Porty Premium and more than 4x the flashes of the standard porty 1200B.    The verso also gives you the 300W modeling light and complete assymetrical control.     You also have the option of the Verso A4 at 2400 w/s with a standard pulso head or it will also take the Pulso Twin for a possible 4800 w/s of battery power.

I have had previous experience with all 3 lines ... Broncolor (current employer), Hensel and Profoto (back to the Pro 2).    I think Hensel was an incredible value for the money but their distributorship in the US is sketchy at best these days.    Profoto has always been quality gear.  And Broncolor always has been top of the line.

I also disagree with your idea that Broncolor has been behind the curve.   You seem to forget that the Pulso was the first digitally controlled pack almost 15 years before anyone else.   The Grafit is still the top of the line in function and control.   And the current Verso's will stack up against any "fashion" pack on the market.

Matt LaPointe
Sinar Bron Imaging
National Sales Support Manager
(219) 670-9905

K.C.

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2007, 12:08:07 am »

I think Hensel was an incredible value for the money but their distributorship in the US is sketchy at best these days.

How much will that matter since he's in Russia ?  

K.C.

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2007, 12:13:03 am »

I shoot with Baclar, Profoto and Broncolor heads powered by the best battery pack in the industry. Digital controls, timed use of modeling lights, color temp consistent within 150K over the entire range of the pack and a minimum of 200 pops at 1200WS.

http://www.balcar.com/PHOTO/bseries.html

Kika Livno

« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2007, 08:09:19 am »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=104449\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I understand what you are saying, but for the moment I am thinking on building the kit around Broncolor and would like some advise what can I mix and match from Profoto, Chimera and other companies that Broncolor doesn't have or is not better or popular for.

Thank you

Kika Livno

« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2007, 08:17:37 am »

Kika,

If you want a simple Bron location set-up have a look at the Softlight dish, they're compact and easy to handle if the wind is up, make sure you also get the honeycomb if you want more direct light.

ProPhoto is great gear as well, the 5 foot Octa light is one of the best allround boxes I've ever used, on a 7B pack it's a wonderful outdoor set-up...
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=104451\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Thank you. Do you have any expirience with Pulso-Flooter S (fresnel Lens) and maybe opinion what is Pulso-Flooter S (fresnel Lens) specifically best for?

Best regards

Kika Livno

« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2007, 08:26:50 am »

The Broncolor Verso offers almost more than 1 1/2 times the flashes of the Porty Premium and more than 4x the flashes of the standard porty 1200B.    The verso also gives you the 300W modeling light and complete assymetrical control.     You also have the option of the Verso A4 at 2400 w/s with a standard pulso head or it will also take the Pulso Twin for a possible 4800 w/s of battery power.

I have had previous experience with all 3 lines ... Broncolor (current employer), Hensel and Profoto (back to the Pro 2).    I think Hensel was an incredible value for the money but their distributorship in the US is sketchy at best these days.    Profoto has always been quality gear.  And Broncolor always has been top of the line.

I also disagree with your idea that Broncolor has been behind the curve.   You seem to forget that the Pulso was the first digitally controlled pack almost 15 years before anyone else.   The Grafit is still the top of the line in function and control.   And the current Verso's will stack up against any "fashion" pack on the market.

Matt LaPointe
Sinar Bron Imaging
National Sales Support Manager
(219) 670-9905
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=104506\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Can verso and Grafit A4 be integrated to work together?

Does Grafit A4 have battery package like verso A2 and if I buy Grafit A4 what do I do instead for location in case it doesn't have Battery package like verso?

I realize I have to start from the powerpacks first. which ones?

Then I can mix and match

Thank you

Kika Livno

« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2007, 08:35:54 am »

How much will that matter since he's in Russia ? 
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=104510\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
It is very rare that I have to travel in one month to Mombasa, Rio, Miami like this march. I am only looking for the good insurance then, but I am in America probably 4 months out of 12 which I am traveling anyway so i can say it matters to me. Thank you for the  Baclar link.

All the best

Khun_K

« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2007, 09:55:44 am »

Does Grafit A4 have battery package like verso A2 and if I buy Grafit A4 what do I do instead for location in case it doesn't have Battery package like verso?

Then I can mix and match

Thank you
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=104543\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
The Grafit is a generator so it is not battery independent. If you want location then mobile power pack is the starter which offer 1,200watt/h for one head and 600watt/h X 2 head, symmetrical. The mobile power pack can be converted to use A/C in studio, using studio booster.  I suggest you to have at least 3 battery to be sure for location work. The Verso A2 is very good, modern and have many control like the Grafit, although not as much. It has 3 distribution so it supports up to 3 head, with symmetrical and asymmetrical distribution and it supports up to 300watt modeling light. It is naturally an A/C independent system but with a plug-in battery, it become a mobile power pack, and very fast to work with.
The benefit to use single branded system is perhaps more consistent color balance, and the identical (with minimized tolerance) power output, which is important if you want to shoot an even lit object (car, for example), using multiple head/pack system. I ahve been very happy with Bron-color, although they are not the cheaper ones, but a good lighting system can use for many years, it is a worthy investment.
With IR system or the triggering system they can work together, I guessed this is what you mean "integrated". But if you refer to computer controlled integrated system, perhaps you need to have all the powerpack be Grafit. I do not have all the system in this matter but I can move around the pack to adjust the lighting individually so I guessed it is not that much important for me. But for shooting situation that you need to have remote control option, like an big event, museum and so on, perhaps you need to consider this, but, in case needed, you can always rent the equipment, I just don't think I need it everyday.
I do not have the flooter, so better have the user who has experiecen to reply to you, my type of work so far has allowed me the option not to use it. And for the honeycomb grids, yes, I used it on all my heads for focusing light or to create light drops.
If you want to start minimum, try mobile pack and add the A/C studio booster, and it will elevate the output a bit. And then, you can try Nano 2, or Nano A4. My best advise is that it is always better to do 1 pack-1 head, but of course, all the bron-color power pack gives you at least 2 lamphead. Lighting can eventually be expensive, but wihtout a good lighting, the investment on camera can be seriously compromised.

mattlap2

« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2007, 01:15:51 am »

Then I can mix and match

Thank you
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=104543\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The Verso and Grafit can definitely be integrated together flawlessly.   The Verso, although a new design, will take any head manufactured after 1973.   So it is fully compatible with the full line of Broncolor heads and accessories.

Someone has mentioned the Mobil pack in another message.   This is a good less expensive battery option but is not fully integrated.   It will take the range of heads but offers no modeling light or fan.   The Mobillite is the only head that offers modeling light on a mobil pack.

The Grafit does not offer a battery option.   Your choices for powering on location would be limited to a gas generator and it must be a voltage controlled one at that.    If you are in the studio the Grafit gives you the most control and larger list of features.    It's recycle time is a bit slow if you are shooting fashion though.   That has to do with the number of capacitors and the circuitry that give it 3 independently controlled channels.    

The Verso is 2 independent channels with 3 sockets.   Much faster recycling time of .9 on AC and 1.5 sec on Battery, but does not offer the features on the Grafit of controllable flash duration, delay, programmed multi pop ...etc.    

I guess it all depends what type of work you do and and your needs.    Fashion I would lean towards the Versos, while if you were a table top shooter I would definitely go Grafit.

Sincerely,

Matt LaPointe
Sinar Bron Imaging
National Sales Support Specialist
(219) 670-9905
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up