Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lightroom and wide screen LCD display  (Read 4618 times)

Henry Goh

Lightroom and wide screen LCD display
« on: March 02, 2007, 04:00:03 am »

I'm about to switch from a Sony CRT to a wide screen LCD, probably a 20" or 21" model.  Does anyone have experience using Lightroom on such an LCD?  Does Lightroom layout take advantage of the wide screen at all?

Thanks for any feedback.

Henry

francois

« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2007, 07:43:45 am »

I'm about to switch from a Sony CRT to a wide screen LCD, probably a 20" or 21" model.  Does anyone have experience using Lightroom on such an LCD?  Does Lightroom layout take advantage of the wide screen at all?

Thanks for any feedback.

Henry
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=104162\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Henry,
LR's layout seems optimized for wide screen monitor. I haven't used LR on a non-wide monitor and I guess that I would probably have to hide the side palettes most of the time.
Francois

Doc

• http://www.52photos.com
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2007, 08:29:36 am »

Henry  - I have been using it on my 21" Samsung and its great !

I will be looking for a new monitor (Wider Cleaner - maybe with some colour profiling hardware built in. ) - at the PICA show in Melbourne  come May  - so with any luck it will be even better !

Doc

Learning everyday !

Sid EOS

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2007, 08:37:05 am »

I'm about to switch from a Sony CRT to a wide screen LCD, probably a 20" or 21" model.  Does anyone have experience using Lightroom on such an LCD?  Does Lightroom layout take advantage of the wide screen at all?

Thanks for any feedback.

Henry
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=104162\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Henry I have used LR on Apple laptops and screens up to the 30" Cinema display.
Wide screen displays are nicer to use, but I usually run with the panels in auto show / hide mode.
You will enjoy the larger screen.

Sid Jervis

Carl Harsch

• http://www.ohenry.smugmug.com
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2007, 09:58:55 am »

I'm using LR on an Apple 23" ACD and it fills the screen nicely.  I also prefer to utilize the autohide feature for the panels.  One nice thing about LR is that it's so easy and quick to manipulate the viewing area.

Henry Goh

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2007, 11:43:09 am »

Looks like wide screen is the way to go.  I'm not very familiar with LCDs but read somewhere that I should be buying one with s-IPS panel.  Could one of you please tell me what is s-IPS and why I need it.  I regularly calibrate my monitors using an eye-one display kit.

Thanks in advance.

bhglr

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2007, 01:08:34 pm »

Looks like wide screen is the way to go.  I'm not very familiar with LCDs but read somewhere that I should be buying one with s-IPS panel.  Could one of you please tell me what is s-IPS and why I need it.  I regularly calibrate my monitors using an eye-one display kit.

Thanks in advance.
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I'm using a Dell 3007WFP and lightroom is glorious in widescreen.  

S-IPS are supposedly better with color reprodution and viewing angles.  Check out [a href=\"http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1039222]this link.[/url]

IanScicluna

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2007, 05:49:56 am »

Henry I have used LR on Apple laptops and screens up to the 30" Cinema display.
Wide screen displays are nicer to use, but I usually run with the panels in auto show / hide mode.
You will enjoy the larger screen.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=104195\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hi Sid, I have just switched from 19" CRT to a Dell 2007WFP superwide.  The Lightroom experience is definitely enhanced, and on a sidenote, I got quite a good profile with ColorEyes Display - was pleasantly surprised that the Dell is DDC compliant - did not have to fiddle with the buttons, everythng is done automatically.

One question for anyone who knows the answer.  I run the side panels on "manual."  Is there a way to make the width sticky.  I pull out the right panel to maximum width, but when I restart Lightroom they are back to minimum - aaargh!  

DavidLehman

• http://www.davidrlehman.com
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2007, 10:12:36 am »

Hi Sid, I have just switched from 19" CRT to a Dell 2007WFP superwide.  The Lightroom experience is definitely enhanced, and on a sidenote, I got quite a good profile with ColorEyes Display - was pleasantly surprised that the Dell is DDC compliant - did not have to fiddle with the buttons, everythng is done automatically.

One question for anyone who knows the answer.  I run the side panels on "manual."  Is there a way to make the width sticky.  I pull out the right panel to maximum width, but when I restart Lightroom they are back to minimum - aaargh! 
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=104381\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I'm quite certain you can save your workspace layout in one of the menus at the top. I don't have it in front of me (I'm on an illicit Burmese computer with a satellite internet connection being fed through Cambodia), but I think I remember that option.

convergent

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2007, 08:12:21 pm »

I'm using a Dell 3007WFP and lightroom is glorious in widescreen.   

S-IPS are supposedly better with color reprodution and viewing angles.  Check out this link.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=104259\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I just got the 3007WFP-HC also, and it is a dream for Lightroom.
Pages: [1]   Go Up