Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson 3800 & Canvas  (Read 21287 times)

MADCAT

Epson 3800 & Canvas
« on: March 02, 2007, 01:53:00 am »

Hi,

Now that my Epson 4000 has been declared officially dead (unless I want to have the print head replaced) I am seriously considering the 3800 as a short term option for a replacement.

My main concern with the 3800 is whether or not it supports printing on Canvas.

I can't think of any logical reason why it wouldn't but I have heard some people state that it doesn't, and Epson's literature seems to completely ignore Canvas as a media option for it. So I'm now a bit confused and wondered if anyone had any experience with the 3800 and Canvas.
[span style='color:black'][span style='f

PeterTinson

Epson 3800 & Canvas
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2007, 05:37:44 am »

Whilst visiting the Focus on Imaging exibition at the NECC Birmingham UK I saw a canvas print produced on the 3800.
The person who did it stated that it wasnt supported by Epson but could be done,
He used the thick media feed path and a backing card, he inserted the backing card into the slot then slid the sheet of canvas over the top, removed the backing card lined up the canvas and pressed the button to load it, then used the card again to guide the canvas on its way out of the printer.
He said that it was very dificult to get the canvas loaded using the auto feeder or the rear manual feeder as the canvas is so flexable it catches and this is why he was using the backing card.
PeterT

madmanchan

• Web
Epson 3800 & Canvas
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2007, 07:12:20 am »

Found this info in another forum, hope you find it useful:

-------------------------------

I  solved the problem of loading canvas in epson 3800.

Hopes this info helps others if they want to print on canvas. In fact
in even worked in my small epson 880 printer, and this is 20 mil
canvas.
  I found this info on a forum for loading thicker papers, and tried
it on my epson 3800 for the canvas. I  used 3M (Scotch) ATG700 tape
to stick on 1'' strip of 28lb bond paper on the back side of the
canvas, then used the rear feed, and the printer grabbed the piece of
paper to pull the canvas into the printer. I adjusted the canvas size
in photoshop and the paper size in the Epson driver to allow for the
extra paper length so that  the  image prints in the proper place on
the  canvas. Worked great.

"I use Somerset Enhanced on an EX and experienced the same problems
with feeding. The paper thickness is beyond what the machine can
reliably pick up in the feed mechanism. After three hours of
experimentation I have been able to get consistent feeding of the
paper, but unfortunately one sheet at a time. The extra inconvenience
of feeding one at a time is well worth effort with this wonderful new
paper. I adjusted the canvas size in photoshop and the paper size in
the Epson driver to allow for the extra paper length so that  the
image prints in the proper place on the  canvas.

"The method I finally decided on was to add a 1" leader projecting
from the edge of the sheet of Somerset. I cut strips of 20lb. bond
copy paper 1 1/2" wide and attach them to the back of the Somerset
with small patches of double back tape. The 20 lb. overlaps the
Somerset by 1/2" leaving a 1" leader which the printer grabs without
any problem and pulls the rest of the sheet into the printer. Once
into the feed mechanism the printer prints just fine, even on the
thin paper setting. You have to adjust your canvas size in photoshop
and the paper size in the Epson driver to allow for the extra paper
length so that your image prints in the proper place on the Somerset.
I use a 3M (Scotch) ATG700 tape application gun to apply three 1/4"
spots of tape to the back of the somerset. This gun is used in the
picture framing industry and is relatively inexpensive (maybe
$20.00). The tape is 3M product #924 and is 1/2" wide. Perfect to
create a 1/2" overlap with the bond paper. The tape can be applied by
hand if you don't want to invest in the applicator. It would simply
take a few seconds longer.

"The entire operation takes me no more than 20 - 30 seconds. You will
need to use a sheet of paper behind the somerset in the feed tray to
help keep the Somerset in the proper alignment for feeding.

"This method works almost 100% on my printer. I have printed about 30
sheets this way with only one misfeed."
Eric Chan

ashepard

Epson 3800 & Canvas
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2007, 07:16:33 pm »

Here's an Epson 3800  canvas front loading trick I got from Epson tech support.  As we know, the 3800 doesn't support Canvas and you can't buy Epson cut paper 17x22 although the Epson guy said it was a future item. The front can only handle 16.5 inches instead of 17 so trim your canvas!  I use Inkpress Waterproof Canvas 100% Cotton (350gsm weight, thickness 20ml and brightness 95%) that comes 17x22" and use the photo quality ink setting.  After numerous unsuccessful rear and auto feed attempts, I found a way to use the front loader which is really simple.  First, cut off 1/2" so that the size is 16.5x22.  Just measure it and use a sharp scissor.  When loading, make sure the original cut side (not the one you cut) is used as the guide on the right. Set up a custom paper size of 16.5x22 and don't forget to set it at front feed.  Front load the canvas (over the rollers) and push it all the way in until it lines up with the white line in front and then be careful about guiding it out as it prints.  The danger is that the flexible canvas will get caught under the front guide so just insert a stiff paper as it first emerges to get it over the flap.  The other danger is that as the canvas exits, it may get caught in the front right guide so simply lift it above the guide as it emerges and then when it is slightly past the guide, just bend it back in.  Perfect prints, no hassle.
Although I may try the paper attachment strip trick next.

Deep

Epson 3800 & Canvas
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2007, 10:26:35 pm »

I have only had my 3800 a week but have successfully printed canvases from 6x4 inches to 17x24 inches.  I cut my canvas of a roll of Breathing Colour Brilliance Chromata White.  I find 6x4 sheets I cut usually just go straight through from the sheet feeder, though it's not a size I would usually print (I just had to try it!).  Larger sheets need help.  In a similar manner to what has been quoted above, I tape on a piece of paper as a leader.  I just use a strip of double sided sellotape.

I have experimented with this and come to these conclusions:

1) it does not matter what paper I use as a leader - plain paper works, as does Ilford Smooth Pearl and Canon Photo Paper Plus Glossy - any "normal" paper seems to pick up.

2) A half inch leader is enough to work.  It works if I keep the whole sheet or just cut a one inch strip and leave half an inch hanging out.  Printing from either Photoshop or Lightroom, it is easy to add a half inch margin to the left or top to compensate for this.

3) The leader does not have to be the same width as the page but must extend to the right edge of the canvas, viewed from the front of the printer.  However, with smaller sheets, the paper may twist a little if I don't match the full width.

4) This works best using one sheet at a time through the normal sheet feeder!

5) I am waiting for a custom profile but have found the colours very true using the Epson Enhanced Matte Paper profile.  I did not expect to be able to print confidently from Lightroom but colour prints on canvas have worked very, very well.

6) I have not had to reset the platen gap to print canvas, which I had expected would be an issue.

Having said all that, I think it is absolutely ridiculous that Epson did not make this printer able to print canvas straight out of the box.  The Canon IPF5000 I really wanted to buy (except it was twice the size and, in New Zealand, nearly twice the price) not only prints canvas but switches from glossy to matte without wasting any ink.  Come on Epson!

A week in, I am stoked with the superb prints and surprised to be apparently using less ink than expected.  Even the canvases are frugal and brilliant.

Don.
Don

duraace

Epson 3800 & Canvas
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2008, 01:15:07 pm »

I too have successfully printed canvas on the 3800, but using the rear manual feed, with a leader.  I found I needed at least a 3 inch leader, with the canvas 17x22 sheet taped on top of a 17x11 sheet with 3 inches sticking out front.  It's important to be able to reach behind the canvas sheet in order to push the leader into the manual rear feed so that the printer can catch it.  It gets fooled into thinking it's a normal piece of paper.  Once the printing starts, it pulls the canvas into the printer and prints normally.  I did get some head strikes at the point where I taped the leader to the canvas, but I had a 1 inch border around my image, so wasn't affected.  I couldn't get it to work in the sheet feeder.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2008, 01:15:54 pm by duraace »

mardimar

Re: Epson 3800 & Canvas
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2011, 02:59:59 pm »

Thank you everyone. After standing next to the printer growing more frustrated by the minute, you have given me the tip to save my sanity. Yes, you can print canvas on the Epson 3800 without going mad! 

What doesn't work:  Rear loading. Even when you cut it square, give it a new edge, patiently guide it through.

What does work:  I used a piece of copier paper 8.5x14. I used two-sided tape, 1/4" wide with just one strip to attach the paper to the back of the canvas. The canvas is heavy and wants to bend back the paper, so I stood there and held the canvas so the paper would feed properly. When the rollers tried to grab the paper, just let it have it. I used the regular paper slot, and only had 3/4 of an inch of paper sticking out.  It worked the first time. Thank you everyone!!!

snowrs

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2011, 05:36:07 pm »

I would guess that Epson does not qualify the 3800 for canvas since it does not use roll papers.  That said, there are precut sheets out there, and I have done a few prints on Inkpress Canvas sheets.

I have not tried the paper leader, but have had good success up to 13x19 sheets by wearing paper handling gloves; positioning the canvas in the rear tray; then, pushing the canvas down till it is grabbed by simply pressing the palm of my hand in the approximate center of the sheet and pushing down gently till it is grabbed.  I get a skew message on perhaps one of five sheets and must repeat, but this has worked fairly well for me.

bob snow

Dano Steinhardt

• Dan Steinhardt Portfolio
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2011, 09:36:26 pm »

Cut-sheet canvas can be printed on both the 3800 and the 3880.

Most canvas is sold in rolls but there are some cut-sheet versions on the market and some cut rolls, into sheets, for the 3800/3880.

The following link has two short videos demonstrating how to load cut sheet fine-art papers and canvas into the 3880.

It will be the same procedure for the 3800.

http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/support/supDetail.jsp?BV_UseBVCookie=yes&infoType=Videos&oid=141552&prodoid=63085147

Dan (Dano) Steinhardt
Marketing Manager, Professional Imaging
Epson America, Inc.

RFPhotography

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2011, 08:40:15 am »

What doesn't work:  Rear loading. Even when you cut it square, give it a new edge, patiently guide it through.

It most certainly does.  I use the rear loading path and was printing on canvas with a 3800 long before Epson started to support the process.  I use a modified version of the method shown in the video Dan linked.  I find that placing my hands, knuckles toward the canvas, further down in the back of the printer, closer to where the material taken up works better.  80% of the time the canvas takes up on the first try.  15% takes 2 tries and 5% takes 3 tries. 

Burt Topsy

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2013, 09:43:55 am »

Definitely works on top loading with 2inch paper feed cellotaped to canvas. Colour a little disappointing. But guess that can be adjusted. Glad i found Forum. Thanks guys.

philbaum

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2013, 11:30:25 am »

If you don't need 17" width, the R3000 has a remarkable roll system for canvas.  At first i thought it was just a toy, but it works very well.  For some reason, Epson only lists their 23 mil Exhibition canvas for the printer, which is pretty clunky to stretch and wrap for the smaller volume guy: Me.  PremierArt makes a 13"x20' roll with 2 inch cores  (18 mil thickness) which works perfectly on the R3000.  I now order 4 rolls at a time from Atlex. 

When i first got the machine, i wasn't sure the print command was getting through, and went to the printer on another floor of my house to find 3 identical canvas prints were printed and reaching down to the floor.  There's a setting that minimizes media waste on your roll, i find only about 2" of waste between canvas prints - altho that might be reduced even more. 

There is no problem with feed alignment with a roll because the roll anchors the alignment with the printer.  I hope that Epson continues to support roll feeding on small printers, and certainly should equip any future models of the 3880 line with a roll system.  No cutter required when one has a scissor :-)  The R3000 lets one eject the print some distance out in front of the printer for cutting, then retracts the canvas for the next print.  Works well. 

Randy Carone

« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2013, 01:10:15 pm »

I've printed canvas sheets on my 3800 using what I will call the 'Bob Fisher method'. Works just fine.
Randy Carone
Pages: [1]   Go Up