Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bag junkies  (Read 3129 times)

John Camp

Bag junkies
« on: March 01, 2007, 04:26:06 pm »

Interesting review on the Think Tank bag.

I wonder how many people would be willing to pay a truly premium price (say, $500-$800) for a bag similar to the International, that weighs ~5 pounds. I think you might be able to do it with titanium struts, kevlar sail material, and relatively thin closed-foam padding.

When I was traveling to the Middle East a lot, I made the mistake of buying a "store" brand bag with wheels -- but then when I got to where I was going, I had to do some "off-roading" with it. Just a few hundred yards at a time, but over rough concrete and pitted tarmac. In the six weeks I was there, I broke both the wheels and the handle, and wound up having to carry it until lI could get it replaced. Really good skate-board quality wheels are critical in a bag like this, if you think you migth off-road at all...

Somehat OT, Michael, if you have occasion, you might write a note about how the other equipment (like the Hassy) held up and handled in the Antarctic. Any problems?

JC

michael

Bag junkies
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2007, 04:46:42 pm »

I have a piece on how everyone's gear (all 45 photographers) stood up to the trip.

Some interesting anecdotes. Coming in a week or two.

M

dnheller

Bag junkies
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2007, 05:12:40 pm »

Multiple bags, multiple strategies

In addition to Michael's baggage management strategies, I have my own additions and variants:

Instead of a photo vest, I use a jacket from Scott eVest Scott eVest . Scott eVest was originally just a maker of vests, but they've added jackets and other clothing. I use a full-size jacket with zip-out fleece liner from Scott with a huge number of pockets; sleeves zip off to convert jacket to a vest.  It attracts less attention than a photographer's vest. I have even carried a wide-screen laptop in the large pocket across the back of the jacket onto a tiny puddle-jumper plane with no carry-on space with nobody noticing. I just have to be careful not to sit on the laptop.

If you put your tripod in your checked baggage, be sure to put the tripod head in your carry-on. If the airline loses your checked bag,  tripod legs are easier to replace from a local camera shop than your favorite tripod head with Arca-Swiss mounts and clamps.

If the hard-sided Pelican case or hard-framed rolling bag weighs a lot when empty like the ThinkTank Intl, use it to check clothing and non-critical gear into the luggage compartment instead of carryon, and carry on your important gear in a soft, light weight bag (like a Moose Peterson bag) to save the carry-on weight allowance for gear. Then when you arrive at the destination airport, swap the camera gear back into the hard/rolling case for local transport/storage.

You could also just use a lightweight Moose Peterson soft-side bag Moose Peterson Bags  and roll it on one of those collapsing/folding luggage wheel carts and pack the cart into your checked baggage when your arrive at the airport.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2007, 05:13:50 pm by dnheller »

John Camp

Bag junkies
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2007, 06:52:08 pm »

Multiple bags, multiple strategies

If the hard-sided Pelican case or hard-framed rolling bag weighs a lot when empty like the ThinkTank Intl, use it to check clothing and non-critical gear into the luggage compartment instead of carryon, and carry on your important gear in a soft, light weight bag (like a Moose Peterson bag) to save the carry-on weight allowance for gear. Then when you arrive at the destination airport, swap the camera gear back into the hard/rolling case for local transport/storage.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=104073\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Like that idea. Never occurred to me. Most of my flights involve only one change of planes, so the stuff wouldn't get knocked around too much; wrap them in protective foam wraps to keep them apart...it's a concept.

JC
Pages: [1]   Go Up