Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: AF problems with EOS 1Ds MkII and EF 24-70/2.8  (Read 2768 times)

jsch

AF problems with EOS 1Ds MkII and EF 24-70/2.8
« on: March 01, 2007, 03:57:17 pm »

Is there already a thread about this or some experience?

I'm using an EOS 1Ds MkII and EF 24-70/2.8 for about 2 years now on a daily basis. The AF worked fine all the time. For the unsharp pictures so far I had to blame myself.

Today the AF produced only unsharp images, a mixture of back and front focusing but never the selected AF point. I used the same working style like always: location with flash (Bron), 1/125, f between 4 and 8. The EF 100 macro still works fine - others I haven't tested so far.

The other strange thing is, I was not really able to focus manualy. Is there a possibility that the focusing screen isn't in the right place. I have +20 years experience in manual focusing (Nikon, Hasselblad, Sinar).

I treat my equipment very good, no shock or anything like that happend, just unsharp images from one day to the other and a mixture of front and back focusing.

Any ideas?

Thank you,
Johannes

nemophoto

• Nemo Niemann Photography
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2007, 11:24:02 am »

Johannes,

The best thing to do is send both lens and body to Canon for cleaning, check and adjustment. In your case, the equipment is new enough that it's worth spending money on the repair. (I had my 50/1.4 just die for the fourth time -- owned since 1994 -- so it was worth replacing rather than repair.) Rather than worry about what's going wrong, send it to Canon and have them make it right.

Nemo

Is there already a thread about this or some experience?

I'm using an EOS 1Ds MkII and EF 24-70/2.8 for about 2 years now on a daily basis. The AF worked fine all the time. For the unsharp pictures so far I had to blame myself.

Today the AF produced only unsharp images, a mixture of back and front focusing but never the selected AF point. I used the same working style like always: location with flash (Bron), 1/125, f between 4 and 8. The EF 100 macro still works fine - others I haven't tested so far.

The other strange thing is, I was not really able to focus manualy. Is there a possibility that the focusing screen isn't in the right place. I have +20 years experience in manual focusing (Nikon, Hasselblad, Sinar).

I treat my equipment very good, no shock or anything like that happend, just unsharp images from one day to the other and a mixture of front and back focusing.

Any ideas?

Thank you,
Johannes
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=104054\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

KAP

• http://www.kevinallenphotography.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2007, 03:01:26 am »

If it's OK with other lenses, it suggests a lens problem, the fact that you have a problem manual focusing, it sounds like lens.

Kevin.

elkhornsun

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2007, 05:36:54 am »

Well known problem with this lens. I would send it in along with your body to have both checked out and calibrated at the same time. Shifts of the sensor alignment can also cause problems and Canon can adjust this as well if it is the case with your body.
Pages: [1]   Go Up