Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help me with a dumb ?- Vertical w/503 vs contax  (Read 2534 times)

Greg Whitaker

• http://www.gregwhitaker.com
Help me with a dumb ?- Vertical w/503 vs contax
« on: March 01, 2007, 02:17:24 pm »

Well this is somewhat embarassing, but here goes. I don't have easy access to a dealer to find this out. As a longtime square hassy shooter, I never had to worry about vertical/horizontal orientation when shooting, always shot w/ waistlevel.

How does one switch from vert to horiz when shooting with a Contax & P30 or other non-square back- Also w/ Hass 503-?
I hope to use waistlevel with the camera system I go with, knowing that with Hass I will have to have a mask in the finder.

So do you have to remove the DB and rotate it, or what?

Thanks a meelion!
Whit

mtomalty

• http://www.marktomalty.com
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2007, 02:38:11 pm »

How does one switch from vert to horiz when shooting with a Contax & P30 or other non-square back- Also w/ Hass 503-?

Greg

With the Contax the back stays attached to the camera and you rotate the camera just
as you would with a film back.

With a Hass 503 you have the option to  detach the DB from the camera and rotate it.
You can also rotate the camera without removing the DB but that would make viewing
difficult with a waistlevel finder

Mark

Gary Yeowell

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2007, 02:39:54 pm »

In a word yes. The Phase backs come with 2 sets of lugs for Hassy 'V' fit so you just take the back off, rotate it and re attach. A mask in the viewfinder shows both vertical and horizontal crops, so waist level viewing is still possible.

Regards, Gary.

Mark_Tucker

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2007, 02:47:16 pm »

Well this is somewhat embarassing, but here goes. I don't have easy access to a dealer to find this out. As a longtime square hassy shooter, I never had to worry about vertical/horizontal orientation when shooting, always shot w/ waistlevel.

With the P45 or A75, there's so much extra data there that you could damn near just shoot the Contax in default horizontal mode, mount a WL Finder on it, (after you mortgaged your house to buy one), and then just shoot everything horizontal, and crop a vertical out of it. I'm half-kidding, but not really.

Somebody tell these companies that we don't need any more megapixels. We just need a chip that fully matches a 6x6 or 645 camera. The thought of a back that's any larger than 39MP seems laughable.

william

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2007, 03:07:51 pm »

I've actually thought about doing this even with with the P30 on my Contax. Well, not this exactly, but marking a square on my focusing screen for those times when I want to see square portraits and use the waist-level finder.  What has stopped me is that I can't find a waist level at a reasonable price.  Plus, the size of that square might be difficult to view and focus thru the WL finder.  (I.e., you're already dealing with a 1.3 crop of the viewfinder, which I'd be cropping down further into a square)

With the P45 or A75, there's so much extra data there that you could damn near just shoot the Contax in default horizontal mode, mount a WL Finder on it, (after you mortgaged your house to buy one), and then just shoot everything horizontal, and crop a vertical out of it. I'm half-kidding, but not really.

Somebody tell these companies that we don't need any more megapixels. We just need a chip that fully matches a 6x6 or 645 camera. The thought of a back that's any larger than 39MP seems laughable.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=104040\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Pages: [1]   Go Up