Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: New firmware Z3100 available  (Read 60729 times)

Charlie B

New firmware Z3100 available
« on: February 28, 2007, 10:59:31 pm »

Just checked the HP site for firmware update and found TR12-RO_4.1.0.2. Hope it's the help we've been looking forward to.

macz5024

• http://www.markuszuber.com
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2007, 03:40:49 am »

Just checked the HP site for firmware update and found TR12-RO_4.1.0.2. Hope it's the help we've been looking forward to.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=103928\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Have you been able to download it? The links for both Mac and Windows are there but no files are linked ...

Charlie B

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2007, 08:30:55 am »

Quote from: macz5024,Mar 1 2007, 03:40 AM
Have you been able to download it? The links for both Mac and Windows are there but no files are linked ...

No, I have not tried it yet. It will probably be tomorrow before I have the opportunity.

https://h41186.www4.hp.com/country/us/en/do...?pageseq=606051

rdonson

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2007, 09:44:45 am »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=103955\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I just downloaded the Windoze version (332.8 MB).
Regards,
Ron

adiallo

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2007, 05:10:02 pm »

I updated fw to 4.1 then recalibrated and reprofiled on Smooth Fine Art. Man, what a difference! Shadow detail rendering is much more accurate. My problem reds are significantly improved as well. Curious to hear others' results over the next few days.
amadou diallo
[url=http://blogfiftygreat

Jim Cole

• Jim Cole Photography
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2007, 07:17:33 pm »

Amadou,

This is really good news! I have a 44" model being delivered next week. I knew HP would deal with the shadow detail and the dark red mixing. The 2100 models showed that it could be done. The timing is excellent for me. I'm sure that it may take another tweak or two to the firmware of driver to finally deliver all this printer is capable of.

Thanks for jumping on the new driver so quickly and letting the rest of us know that it seems to address the current gamut issues.

Jim
Jim Cole
Flagstaff, AZ www.jimcolephoto.

macz5024

• http://www.markuszuber.com
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2007, 07:21:52 am »

I updated fw to 4.1 then recalibrated and reprofiled on Smooth Fine Art. Man, what a difference! Shadow detail rendering is much more accurate. My problem reds are significantly improved as well. Curious to hear others' results over the next few days.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=104072\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Ok, finally I was able to download the Mac Firmware as well - there seem to be many links to these firmware updates - and some of them are just dead ends...

Loading it was no problem and the printer seems to be fine after all. Printing went fine as well - but I was not able to improve my results on Crane MuseoMax and Hahnemuehle PhotoRag after recalibration and reprofiling. I used the XRite DTP 20 for a first aid rescue. The profile was a lot better - but Photoshop - and also the printout showed me that on MattePaper I have a lot of out-of-gamut colors in my test chart - which are not present in my 9800 - not even with the Epson driver. So our 9800 will keep its place and I am looking forward to testing the ImagePrint driver as soon as it will be available. ColorByte seem to have found a solution that should be able to solve the problems on matte paper...

Jim Cole

• Jim Cole Photography
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2007, 11:00:36 am »

What a difference in responses to the new firmware.

Macz5024 and zhupanov report no changes (Macz5024 in on a Mac platform and I do not know what platform zhupanof is on) and performance on matte papers is still horrible while Adiallo reports significant changes on matte paper and pleasing results.

What the heck is going on here?

Is this a Mac/PC issue? Is this an incorrect settings issue? Hardware? Software? Inks?

This is just too inconsistent. We need a reality check.
Jim Cole
Flagstaff, AZ www.jimcolephoto.

joncanfield

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2007, 11:31:02 am »

I'm using the 44" on a Mac and on Windows, and see very significant improvement in reds in particular, but shadow detail is noticably better as well on Photo Rag (HP Smooth Fine Art). I have test prints from the Z3100 with new firmware, along with the Canon iPF5000, Epson 3800, and HP 9180 that I'll be measuring this weekend for color and range. Visually, the Epson looks to still have a bit of an edge in deep reds, but it will be interesting to see the actual values.

Jon Canfield
author "RAW 101", "Print Like a Pro", "The Digital SLR Guide"
co-author "Photo Finish"

adiallo

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2007, 11:32:22 am »

This might explain it. Yesterday I got a pdf that lists which paper types are affected by the latest firmware. Luckily, for me at least, the paper I've been testing was on the list. See attached. And according to thepdf this update only affects output going through the RGB driver.
amadou diallo

CameronT

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2007, 05:24:42 pm »

I've tried to update the firmware from TR12_RO_4.0.0.4 to the new TR12_R0_4.1.0.2 three times now.  It seems great right up until the transfer from the computer to the printer is complete.  I then get a message "Update failed-Invalid File" appears on the printer screen.  Any ideas as to what I'm doing wrong?  Thanks.

Cameron

marty m

• http://
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2007, 05:30:19 pm »

This might explain it. Yesterday I got a pdf that lists which paper types are affected by the latest firmware. Luckily, for me at least, the paper I've been testing was on the list. See attached. And according to thepdf this update only affects output going through the RGB driver.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=104419\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

HP does it again.  This is MORONICALLY AND INCREDIBLY DUMB.    

The pdf "technical newsletter" EXPLICITLY states that the firmware only applies to the listed papers.  So the logical conclusion is that the improvements do not apply to any other paper types.

This would explain the inconsistent results, but might also offer a solution for Photo Rag as I explain below.

(1)  So, the firmware improvements apply to HP Premium Instant Dry Satin but *NOT* to HP Professional Satin.  

Way to go HP.  Fix your generic satin paper for a top of the line printer, while not doing so for your professional satin paper for the same printer.

The pdf "technical newsletter" would indicate that the reds and shadows are still wrong with HP's own Professional Satin paper, since Pro Satin is not listed as one of the corrected papers.

(2)  The firmware improvements apply to the generic Fine Art Paper but *NOT* to the generic Photo Paper.

According to the pdf "technical newsletter", any other photo paper that is profiled using "photo paper" would be wrong.

So much for having an on-board spectrophotometer and allowing us to use other manufacturer's papers.  HP just undermined their OWN advertised claims to allow us to use any other papers, and not just their own HP branded papers.

I can only hope that this is a quick fix by HP for those papers, and another firmware release for ALL papers listed in the HP driver will be forthcoming.

It was was really dumb for HP to fix part of the paper types that they list in their own driver, but not all of the paper types.

What were these guys thinking?  They use the printer everyday, but issue a firmware patch that applies to only part of their own listed paper types?

The only remaining question is that only those papers were fixed in the firmware because only those papers have a problem ???  The pdf "technical newsletter" doesn't say that, though.

On photo papers --

Has anyone tried the new firmware on both Instant Dry Satin and Professional Satin?  Anyone have both, so you can make a side-by-side comparison?  Is there any difference?  There should be a difference, according to the pdf "technical newsletter"

Has anyone tried the new firmware on Photo Paper (generic) and used a different paper, such as Epson Luster?  That should not work, according to the pdf "technical newsletter."

Finally, for those of you who have the printer, is it possible to create a profile for a different manufacturer photo paper, for example Epson Luster, but to use the HP Instant Dry Satin as the paper type?  Does that work?

On Hahnemuhle Photo Rag --

I'd assume that it should work if the generic "fine art paper" is selected when creating the profile,  along with the correct thickness for those papers, since  the pdf "technical newsletter" lists that as one of the corrected papers.

However, one of the differences in the above postings is that one person got great results with the HP Hahn Photo Rag, and one person got bad results with the standard non-HP Photo Rag.

Those of you with the non-HP 308 Photo Rag -- how does it print with the new (or old) firmware if you print it using the HP Hahn Photo Rag setting?  To my eye, the HP paper is very similar to the non-HP Photo Rag except for the weight.  Even Hahnemuhle only provides one profile for both the 308 and the 460 papers.  

The HP branded paper is lighter, but is the same Photo Rag or not?

My guess is that it is.  So those of you using generic Photo Rag should try the HP Photo Rag setting with the new firmware and see if that works.

Does anyone have both the HP Photo Rag and the non-HP Photo Rag, so you can make a side-by-side comparison?  And make that comparison by printing both first on "fine art paper" and then both using the HP Photo Rag setting?
« Last Edit: March 03, 2007, 08:35:37 pm by marty m »

Charlie B

« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2007, 05:53:25 pm »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=104419\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Amadou, how did you get this technical paper?  HP didn't send me a copy and I can't find it looking at their site. Thanks for including the pdf download address

Charlie

Charlie B

« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2007, 06:11:50 pm »

I've tried to update the firmware from TR12_RO_4.0.0.4 to the new TR12_R0_4.1.0.2 three times now.  It seems great right up until the transfer from the computer to the printer is complete.  I then get a message "Update failed-Invalid File" appears on the printer screen.  Any ideas as to what I'm doing wrong?  Thanks.

Cameron
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=104453\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Cameron, I'm having a problem, also. Each time I try, the printer panel gives me an error code 74:01 and states that the firmware file could not be  uploaded to the printer. HP support has spent a lot of time working with me on this and trying different ideas out on their equipment. We're still working on it. If it helps, I'm using a Mac OSX 10.4.8.

Charlie

CameronT

« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2007, 06:35:32 pm »

Quote from: Charlie B,Mar 3 2007, 04:11 PM
Cameron, I'm having a problem, also. Each time I try, the printer panel gives me an error code 74:01 and states that the firmware file could not be  uploaded to the printer. HP support has spent a lot of time working with me on this and trying different ideas out on their equipment. We're still working on it. If it helps, I'm using a Mac OSX 10.4.8.

Charlie

Thanks Charlie.  I have windows XP on my system.  I spent a half hour with HP support in Canada this morning.  I was transferred seven times and nobody seemed to know that a z3100 printer existed, before I was finally hung up on... Hopefully someone can help out.

Cameron

rdonson

« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2007, 09:02:13 pm »

Cameron, I'm having a problem, also. Each time I try, the printer panel gives me an error code 74:01 and states that the firmware file could not be  uploaded to the printer. HP support has spent a lot of time working with me on this and trying different ideas out on their equipment. We're still working on it. If it helps, I'm using a Mac OSX 10.4.8.

Charlie
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=104459\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hi Charlie,

Have you downloaded the file more than once?  Could it be a bad download?
Regards,
Ron

BradSmith

« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2007, 09:47:54 pm »

I downloaded and read the linked HP Tech Paper.  Can anyone explain why the grammar in the HP Tech Paper is so poor?  Even if written by the team in Spain, wouldn't they have had an english-native language person proof read it?

I'm not paranoid, but it almost calls into question the validity of the document.

Brad

adiallo

« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2007, 10:20:59 pm »

Amadou, how did you get this technical paper?  HP didn't send me a copy and I can't find it looking at their site. Thanks for including the pdf download address

Charlie
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=104456\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I didn't get it directly either. It was sent to me by another HP user. If you register your printer at designjet.com I think there is an option to sign up for newsletters but there are so many sign-up promotions you get after registering and/or ordering from the HP store that I can't keep track.
amadou diallo

Charlie B

« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2007, 10:24:47 pm »

Hi Charlie,

Have you downloaded the file more than once?  Could it be a bad download?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=104488\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Hey Ron,

I've downloaded it twice with the same result. I think HP support is suspicious that my original firmware has some corruption. I may try downloading it again, though, just to make sure. Thanks for the suggestion.

Charlie

Charlie B

« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2007, 10:31:44 pm »

I didn't get it directly either. It was sent to me by another HP user. If you register your printer at designjet.com I think there is an option to sign up for newsletters but there are so many sign-up promotions you get after registering and/or ordering from the HP store that I can't keep track.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=104497\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I did sign up for their newsletter when I registered the printer, but haven't gotten anything but various mailings explaining how to read the newsletter. Tried to find the earlier one on the zebra stripes, too. Couldn't find that on their site either. Thanks for the reply.

Charlie
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up