Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What's the workflow to calibrate a scanner?  (Read 3652 times)

BlueD

What's the workflow to calibrate a scanner?
« on: February 28, 2007, 05:49:31 pm »

Hi everyone, I have an eye-one and I calibrated my monitor and my printer with the i1 match. now I would like to calibrate my scanner with profile maker but I'm not sure what am I supposed to do. I understand that I'm supposed to print on good paper one of the references that comes with the program, but I don't know wich one, and another confusing aspect is that every chart is for a specific measurement tool, but I'm going to scan the reference with my scanner so I'm not sure wich one should I use.

orangekay

« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2007, 05:52:50 pm »

You're probably not going to have a lot of luck in the precision department printing your own targets. Get an IT8 or Hutchcolor target if your software supports it.

Here's some cheap ones: http://www.targets.coloraid.de/

Roy

• http://
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2007, 06:20:10 pm »

If you are using vuescan software with your scanner, it supports calibration with IT8 targets. Vuescan is much better than the software supplied with most scanners.

I second the recommendation for coloraid's IT8 targets--fast service, inexpensive and good quality.
Roy

BlueD

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2007, 03:45:03 am »

You're probably not going to have a lot of luck in the precision department printing your own targets. Get an IT8 or Hutchcolor target if your software supports it.

Here's some cheap ones: http://www.targets.coloraid.de/
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=103868\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I printed my own without color management and then measured (3 times and averaged) with my eye-one... such a pain in the ass... anyway, now I have my target and my reference, how do I forbid Vuescan from doing anything funky to the colours? I tried the manual but it-s absolutely not clear on this point, the interface is kinda messy and definetly need some improvements.

orangekay

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2007, 06:05:53 am »

I did at one time figure out how to get a true raw scan out of VueScan, but then I upgraded to some new version and it didn't work anymore. I pretty much gave up on it and now just make certain to keep whatever adjustments it does make constant in between profiles. Emailing the author to request clarification as to its under-the-hood color management functionality yields nothing more than an "I don't answer emails" response, and he did at one point cease developing the Macintosh version because he didn't like its users or something, so I gave up on that, too.

Serge Cashman

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2007, 03:16:05 am »

So does the Vuescan profiling work or it does not?

We know the preview is not color managed - but I would be surprised if any scanner preview would be.

Rishi - my apologies again. Now I know you're one of the color geeks.
http://photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?...qG4&unified_p=1

orangekay

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2007, 04:02:01 am »

I've honestly never gotten VueScan's own profiling code to run, either--it's never been able to "detect" my IT8. I've also never succeeded in convincing it to embed a third-party profile in a scanned image. I won't say it's incapable of doing this as I could very well be wrong, but the interface is not obvious and the documentation is quite poor. I just setup an Action in Photoshop that will do the work for me every time I open up a fresh scan.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2007, 04:04:31 am by orangekay »
Pages: [1]   Go Up