I hired a designer to put together a photo website for me. It's just hobby photography, but I was hoping for something semi-professional looking. I'm not sure how great a job he did. I would be interested in any honest criticism or suggestions - of the site or the photos.
The pages are centered and can scale to fit different window sizes. I like that.
Bigger font size(s) and wider line spacing would make it more legible. Check my comments on some sites that handle this well here:
A bigger font size for your name at the header would also help.
"Trouble Viewing Flash Page? Click Here for Older HTML Version" Good touch for those who don't like flash. But highlighting "Here" will make clicking easier. While I dislike a blank Enter page in general, your site can use one so that a viewer can choose either flash or html. At present, a viewer has no choice but to endure a flash page first.
Information Page: Title can be better. I dislike the way each text line is centered.
Galleries Page: Some same old comments I made on other sites:
- The galleries do not appear to be organized by topic, etc.
- I can't tell how many images are there in total.
- I like the thumbnails to be on the left instead of the right of the enlargement.
- I dislike cropped thumbnails. If I can't see the whole image, why bother enlarging it?
- The images are not numbered and are not captioned. Neither you nor your vieweers can refer to a particular image with ease.
- I like the separated navigation of different galleries (or in your case, different thumbnail pages) at the left, telling me that there are more images.
- The backward/forward buttons at the right for navigating images can be done better. When displaying the very first image, the backward button should be invisible or grayed out. When the last thumbnail is enlarged, the forward button does not automatically advance to the first image of the next thumbnails (gallery) page. But this is common on just about every web gallery I have seen. It bugs the hell out of me.
The flash and html versions are dramatically different in appearance. The html gallery is much cruder, and my above comments are on the flash version.
I did not view the music or guest book pages.