Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: storage for photos  (Read 3044 times)

mr.dude

storage for photos
« on: February 28, 2007, 02:09:06 am »

Hi,  I recently purchased two 320gb SATA hard drives (by seagate) and two external cases (venus ds3) that can connect to the PC by both SATA and USB.  I got them to back up my pictures.  I connected them to the pc with the supplied USB cable and windows recognizes that the drives are there, but the problem is that they don't appear under "my computers" and I don't know how to acess and format/partition the drives for use, whether I need something else to run them (I don't know if I need a sata controller to connect them via USB, or if my computer has one) or if there is something wrong with the drives/cases.  I have a fairly new PC as well, just had it for 4 months and just to give an idea it's got 1gb memory, athlon 64, media center, 250gb hd.  The external enclosures came with cd/instruction for installing a driver for windows 98 and that's about all the documentation that I recieved.  

Thanks for any help/pointers anyone can give.

fike

• Hiker Photographer
    • trailpixie.net
storage for photos
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2007, 08:00:48 pm »

You need to mount and format the drives.  It is simple.  

1) Go to your start menu and select control panel>>administrative tools>>computer management.
2) Click on Storage>>Disk Management
3) Scroll down until you find your drive listed on the left hand column.
4) Right click on the drive (in the left column) and select somthing like mount or import or the such.  I can't remember exactly what it says.  when it is done, repeat the right click and select format.

Then you should see the drive.   You will need to repeat this process for both drives.
Fike, Trailpixie, or Marc Shaffer

mr.dude

storage for photos
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2007, 05:04:32 am »

You need to mount and format the drives.  It is simple. 

1) Go to your start menu and select control panel>>administrative tools>>computer management.
2) Click on Storage>>Disk Management
3) Scroll down until you find your drive listed on the left hand column.
4) Right click on the drive (in the left column) and select somthing like mount or import or the such.  I can't remember exactly what it says.  when it is done, repeat the right click and select format.

Then you should see the drive.   You will need to repeat this process for both drives.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=104324\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

you're awesome man, i really appreciate the help.  got them up and running yesterday.  thanks again!  
Pages: [1]   Go Up