Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Import Problems  (Read 4722 times)

Carl Dahlke

Import Problems
« on: February 27, 2007, 11:57:45 pm »

I am starting to try to import a lot of legacy work into Lightroom - mostly because I want to take advantage of the database capabilities - I'm tired of using spreadsheets to ogranize my images.

So what I'm finding is:

1. A lot of problems importing the Canon 1Ds raw files with the .tif extensions.  I'm getting maybe a 10 to 20% success rate in importing them.  Sometimes Lightroom can't even see them to report that they can't be imported.

2. A lot of problems importing TIFF files generated by Nikonscan.

3. Some problems importing psd files.  I have made a number of problem files importable by opening them in Photoshop (with maximize compatibility turned on in Photoshop preferences) and then doing a save-as to replace the originial.  However, this doesn't always work.

4. Haven't had problems with any raw files except the Canon 1Ds files.

5. I've been able to bring over everything from 2006 onwards which is all digital capture.

6. Photoshop doesn't have problems with any of the unimportable files. Both CS and CS3 beta can open any of the files that Lightroom can't import.

I'm running Lightroom on a dual processor Mac G5 with OSC1.4.8.

Has anyone had similar import problems and found workarounds?

It's beginning to look like Lightroom is problematic for organizing my legacy work from scanned film and the Canon 1Ds - not to mention to many Photoshop .psd files that can't brought over.

free1000

• http://www.foliobook.mobi
Import Problems
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2007, 02:29:31 am »

I am starting to try to import a lot of legacy work into Lightroom - mostly because I want to take advantage of the database capabilities - I'm tired of using spreadsheets to ogranize my images.

So what I'm finding is:

1. A lot of problems importing the Canon 1Ds raw files with the .tif extensions.  I'm getting maybe a 10 to 20% success rate in importing them.  Sometimes Lightroom can't even see them to report that they can't be imported.

2. A lot of problems importing TIFF files generated by Nikonscan.

3. Some problems importing psd files.  I have made a number of problem files importable by opening them in Photoshop (with maximize compatibility turned on in Photoshop preferences) and then doing a save-as to replace the originial.  However, this doesn't always work.

4. Haven't had problems with any raw files except the Canon 1Ds files.

5. I've been able to bring over everything from 2006 onwards which is all digital capture.

6. Photoshop doesn't have problems with any of the unimportable files. Both CS and CS3 beta can open any of the files that Lightroom can't import.

I'm running Lightroom on a dual processor Mac G5 with OSC1.4.8.

Has anyone had similar import problems and found workarounds?

It's beginning to look like Lightroom is problematic for organizing my legacy work from scanned film and the Canon 1Ds - not to mention to many Photoshop .psd files that can't brought over.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=103660\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

This is a pain, I've also had problems with some tiff files, not sure which ones yet though.

This was why I gave up on IView as well, there were a few tiffs which would crash it, usually just before it finished importing 400Gb of historical data.

However I have a belief that Adobe will fix these, whereas IView has been terrible at wiping out longstanding bugs.

Make sure you submit a bug report.
@foliobook
Foliobook professional photo

seanmcfoto

Import Problems
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2007, 03:38:57 am »

There is a note on maximising compatibility for PSD's. From the help pdf:

"Photoshop format (PSD)
Photoshop format (PSD) is the standard Photoshop file format. To import and work with a multi-layered PSD file in Lightroom, the file must have been saved in Photoshop with the Maximize PSD and PSB File Compatibility preference turned on. You’ll find the option in the Photoshop file handling preferences. Lightroom saves PSD files with a bit depth or 8 bits or 16 bits per channel."

I have imported a number of Nikonscan files (from the 4000), all came in, but I suspect not anything on a par with what you need importing.
Sean McCormack
[url=http://lightroom.sea

free1000

• http://www.foliobook.mobi
Import Problems
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2007, 07:07:18 am »

There is a note on maximising compatibility for PSD's. From the help pdf:

"Photoshop format (PSD)
Photoshop format (PSD) is the standard Photoshop file format. To import and work with a multi-layered PSD file in Lightroom, the file must have been saved in Photoshop with the Maximize PSD and PSB File Compatibility preference turned on. You’ll find the option in the Photoshop file handling preferences. Lightroom saves PSD files with a bit depth or 8 bits or 16 bits per channel."
I have imported a number of Nikonscan files (from the 4000), all came in, but I suspect not anything on a par with what you need importing.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=103688\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks for pointing this out Sean, this might explain why some of the older layered psds are not importing correctly.
@foliobook
Foliobook professional photo

AdrianL

• http://
Import Problems
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2007, 04:42:32 pm »

I am having problems importing JPG's taken back in 2002 by a Pentax Optio-S camera.  I brought them into PS CS2 and saved them with maximun compatibility, but this has no effect.  Other JPG's taken with OLYMPUS point & shoots import perfectly.  My purpose is to include these in the database.

erusan

• http://www.elmerveldkamp.nl
Import Problems
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2007, 10:52:04 pm »

I have found similar problems with .nef files from a Nikon D70s, where a few captures from last year fail to import and preview. Really unexpected as the images around them  went in fine.

Perhaps some update with bug fixes can cure this soon?
erusan
Tokyo, Japan [url=http://www.elme

Carl Dahlke

Import Problems
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2007, 11:21:23 am »

This is an addendum to my first note.

I have found one solution for importing .psd files which would not import even though saved with maximum compatibility!! They were just too big.  Lightroom won't import anything over 10,000 pixels wide.  Files 10043 and 10067 pixel wide files that would not import could be imported just fine when I down sized them to 10,000 pixels width.  

This means that I can't save some scanned work at the scanner resolution - I have to down res it to get it into Lightroom.   It probably also means that Lightroom can't handle files intended for really large prints (I have some print files that are for 15"x43" prints).

ostonica

Import Problems
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2007, 10:37:37 am »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=103660\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I tried to import about 1800 files into LR using copy to new location and change to DNG. There were about 350 failures. So I started from scratch using IDImager to put the files into a year/month/day folder structure and then imported them into Lightroom in place, not bothering to convert to DNG. This time there were only 7 failures which were  32 bit, duotone and tritone PSD files.

It was a suprise to me that LR will not import all types of .psd files. I thought that the intention was to have a good working relation between LR and Photoshop.

Jim Swift

thechrisproject

Import Problems
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2007, 04:38:20 pm »

I've had a lot of problems importing files into lightroom.  On my first attempt, Lightroom told me that there were 408 files that had problems.  I imported just those files (some where CRW, some were CR2, some were JPEG) later and they all came in.  Later I ran an import on all the files I thought were already there and it found another 2-3 thousand.  I've been discussing it on the Adobe forums to try and figure out what's going on.  I'm still using the 30 trial and if I can't resolve this it's definitely not worth $200.

vWoning

Import Problems
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2007, 12:39:07 am »

I imported 5 years worth of files, one year at a time, covering a little over 27,000 images. The first 4 years went OK, with the occasional error (noted that the error isn't spelled out explicitly, which I hope Adobe can resolve over the next few releases, telling me it's borked without telling me why isn't of any use) although I assumed that LR was finding and ignoring duplicates (I had generated a lot of dupes).

The last year died about half way through with a large number of errors. So I imported the remaining 6 months worth of files one month at a time. *cough*.

The thing that really galled me was not being able to drag and drop out of grid view when building collections. I could only drag and drop out of the film strip, even though when highlighting images in the strip it also highlighted them in the grid. It felt more than a little counterintuitive.

Did anyone else notice drag and drop issues? I checked Adobe's docs, and it explicitly said drag and drop was supported in grid view.
Pages: [1]   Go Up