Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Phase P45 and Hasselblad 503 CW - Thoughts?  (Read 22576 times)

William.Rennaker

Phase P45 and Hasselblad 503 CW - Thoughts?
« on: February 27, 2007, 08:57:07 pm »

Hello all, my name is William Rennaker. I am a lifestyle photographer in Nassau, Bahamas. I currently own a Hasselblad 503 CW and I am just about to order a Phase One P45. I consodered Leaf and Sinar, but for various reasons and as a result of my demo of the3 backs in NYC a month ago I have all butt decided to purchased the P45+.

Can anyone give me their impressions of the P45 and 503 CW. I am not an autofocus kind of guy. I have always used MF manual focus cameras. I hate the H series and don't really want to change to the Contax 645 which is no longer manufacturerd. It scares the daylights out of me to commit to a dead system.

So what say you?

Willie

Gary Yeowell

« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2007, 09:07:34 pm »

I have been using the P20 with a 503CW for the last 18 months without a hitch, and have just ordered the P30+, albeit in Contax fitting, however would not have had a problem using it with the 503CW. I also hate the 'H' system and personally never use autofocus, and the 503CW suits my style, just that i prefer the Contax for handholding.

I would say go for it, i am sure the lenses are up to it, and the system is always going to be serviceable.

Gary.

bcroslin

• http://www.bobcroslin.com
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2007, 09:40:10 pm »

Gary,

How seamless is this set-up? Does it require extra cables and do-dads to work? I'd love to go back to shooting with a 503 but it seemed like a hack to get it to work.
Bob Croslin, Photographer
[url=http://ww

William.Rennaker

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2007, 10:02:14 pm »

From what I was told by the Phase One dealer, all that is needed is a single cable from the lens to the back. Don't see why I would be misled? I would like to hear from other V users as well.

Tomorrow I am goiing to order the back and need to pick a mount.

jeff_singer

• Jeff Singer Photography
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2007, 11:11:58 pm »

I've been using a P25 with a 501CM for about a month now.  I love my 501CM, but I just bought a Contax kit and I'm changing my order on my P25+ upgrade to have a Contax mount.  As far as cables are concerned, with the 501CM there is one cable needed going from the lens to the back.  Then, if you want to use a PocketWizzard there is another cord going from the PW to the back... and then if you're tethered there is yet another cable going from the back to your laptop.

The quality of the files with the Hasselblad lenses is great... although I can't say that I compared them with any other lenses.

I basically decided since I was using a 645 aspect ratio sensor I wanted to use a 645 camera as well.  Rotating the back from horizontal to vertical is a PITA.  Having said that, I much prefer the square format and using a 45 degree prism... but I'm pretty sure they aren't going to make a full frame 6x6 sensor any time soon (or ever).

Jeff

From what I was told by the Phase One dealer, all that is needed is a single cable from the lens to the back. Don't see why I would be misled? I would like to hear from other V users as well.

Tomorrow I am goiing to order the back and need to pick a mount.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=103640\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
jeff singer | photography
[url=http://je

schotter

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2007, 11:39:26 pm »

Hi,
sorry for not being able to add some long term experience regarding exactly this combo. But I have rented the H1+2/P25/30/45/Leaf Aptus backs, played with a Mamiya 645AF/Leaf and used my RZ with all the mentioned Phase backs. Recently a friend of mine came over with his 503CW/P45 combo and I was pretty much sold. Double checked that impression now at a dealership here in NY by comparing the 503 with H and the Mamiya 645 and I decided to get the 503 with 40mm and 60mm, the 45prism and grip. A couple of other photographers I know went the same route and do not seem to regret it. I am shooting mostly people and will probably go for the P30. But as for the camera system I am almost shocked that I go for an 'older' Hasselblad now. I don't hate the H or the Mamiya but all things considered (lens quality, present and future availability in combo with Phase, size,sync times, ...) this seems to work best for me. The only downside could be dealing with a cable but it felt to me that it in no way compares to the two cables and adapter with my current RZ.  
cheers

nik

• Nick Vasilopoulos Photography
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2007, 12:42:16 am »

I agree with Jeff Singer, but, if you don't mind the crop factor, the fiddly cables, limitations when using pocketwizards, go for it! What prism do you use? If it's a 90, make sure it fits with the phase back attached.

-Nik

Hello all, my name is William Rennaker. I am a lifestyle photographer in Nassau, Bahamas. I currently own a Hasselblad 503 CW and I am just about to order a Phase One P45. I consodered Leaf and Sinar, but for various reasons and as a result of my demo of the3 backs in NYC a month ago I have all butt decided to purchased the P45+.

Can anyone give me their impressions of the P45 and 503 CW. I am not an autofocus kind of guy. I have always used MF manual focus cameras. I hate the H series and don't really want to change to the Contax 645 which is no longer manufacturerd. It scares the daylights out of me to commit to a dead system.

So what say you?

Willie
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=103630\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Danijela D. Karic

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2007, 02:32:03 am »

I currently own a Hasselblad 503 CW and I am just about to order a Phase One P45. I consodered Leaf and Sinar, but for various reasons and as a result of my demo of the3 backs in NYC a month ago I have all butt decided to purchased the P45+.
I am at the same position so far. Honestly, I feel like I’ve been pushed towards P45+ by the pure reasons, which are: potentially less problems in literally every way, starting form the Software point of view and work-flow to Quality which is debatable as I'm sure it should be. Further more, I know, not extremely important but still important enough to consider, the Resale value & the Resale demand!

One other thing to consider is renting. Availability of renting Phase is pretty much standard everywhere. Others include Hasselblad/Leaf/Sinar, but you will find them more or less decreased in orderly fashion by the numbers per unit.

One thing with P45 that bothers me though is additional cable for wake-up call when used with ALPA and other associated cameras. However, I guess that shouldn't concern you much.

That is based on my personal opinion, others are welcome to respond and help you further.

Hello all, my name is William Rennaker. I am a lifestyle photographer in Nassau, Bahamas.
Since you are a lifestyle photographer I should think that P45+ would be overkill, especially with MF. I believe P30+ is adequate and High ISO will help, not to mention that you save your self a considerable amount of money. Otherwise, if the money is not the object and you found P45+ ideal, then P45+ it is.

Can anyone give me their impressions of the P45 and 503 CW. I am not an autofocus kind of guy. I have always used MF manual focus cameras.
Nothing wrong with that, but I’ll bet you, P45+ will more likely remind you about AF convenience.

I hate the H series and don't really want to change to the Contax 645 which is no longer manufacturerd. It scares the daylights out of me to commit to a dead system.
I see you hate H series, Mamiya could definitely Help. However, with regards to H series, I will disagree because of the following: why not take the advantage of what you already have and whatever future holds, I would most probably or at least rethink about the H series, because you can still use your lenses from the 503 CW system anyway. Being in that position, weather you like or need MF/AF is simply available at your choice, or in future. Because of that alone, I think it is rather practical to give it a second chance. Otherwise, if 503 CW makes the most sense down the road, then 503 CW it is.

Unfortunately, pure shame that Contax 645 is no longer manufactured and BTW I feel the same way about it.

Rollei probably comes with the best set of lenses available, but if you go with P45+, I’m not sure if it will work.

So what say you?

Willie
Digital Back purchase is not something I found enjoyable at all.

Regards
Danijela
« Last Edit: February 28, 2007, 04:06:54 am by Danijela D. Karic »

godtfred

• http://
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2007, 04:32:17 am »

One thing with P45 that bothers me though is additional cable for wake-up call when used with ALPA and other associated cameras. However, I guess that shouldn't concern you much.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=103677\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
One thing i dont understand here... why does the P45 need a wake up call when used with flash sync on an Alpha, but not when used with the flash sync on a 503?

-axel
Axel Bauer
godtfred.com H2|M679CS|P45+

AndrewDyer

• http://www.andrewdyer.com
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2007, 04:42:52 am »

Another V user opinion for you.
I have the 503cw with a Leaf Aptus 22 back, and am so far more than happy with it.
While I was waiting for my A22 to arrive I had the opportunity to use an Aptus 75 for a week shooting product on table-top (which will be my main use for it) and was really impressed with the quality of the files and the fact that the "old" Zeiss lenses stood up so well to the higher resolution... even when using the bellows with a 120 macro attached zooming into a strawberry the detail was amazing.
So I think if you are comfortable with using the 503, you will find it and the lenses are up to the task of a high res back like the A75 or Phase 45.
Best of luck.
Andrew
Andrew
 ht

Danijela D. Karic

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2007, 04:52:36 am »

One thing i dont understand here... why does the P45 need a wake up call when used with flash sync on an Alpha, but not when used with the flash sync on a 503?

-axel
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=103692\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Hi Axel,

I  was thinking about the same question. Unfortunately, I don't know anybody representing Phase here, to ask for the official answer. If 503 CW model needs a wake-up call too, I wouldn't go with Phase if I was firm using 503 CW only.

Regards
Danijela
« Last Edit: February 28, 2007, 04:59:24 am by Danijela D. Karic »

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2007, 05:00:33 am »

I use the 503 with an Aptus back. I know the Aptus does not need the wake-up call but am not sure with the Phase. My advice would be to carefully check on that yourself. My initial reaction is that when the Phase needs a wake up call on view cameras (or other) it probably needs it as well on the 503 but I might be wrong (never put a Phase on my 503).

Sofar I am really happy using the 503 for anything that has people in it. My first reaction would be as well that the P45 is a bit overkill unless you want to have less cropfactor the P30 (or A65) seem like a better alternative for people.

The P30 is cheaper and goes higher in ISO, which were 2 deciding factors for a friend and fellow photographer to go for the P30. He uses it on Contax. Yes, the system is dead but there is still so much for sale, also new. You will probably not run into any problems the coming years.

Autofocus is a true benefit while using digital backs not to be underestimated IMO. I have been using MF cameras (553, 503, Digiflex, Mamiya, Miniwide, Truewide) for the last 5 years with DB's but this year I will get myself an AF system as well. Digital is much less forgiving with focus than film ever was is my experience.

Since I hate the H system as well my options are fairly limited. Hy6 which doesn't exist yet (however I have used the 6008AF a couple of times and I really liked that) or Contax. Mamiya, I find the 645 glass totally inadequate.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2007, 05:06:09 am by Dustbak »

JLH

• http://www.josefhoflehner.com
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2007, 05:05:55 am »

-axel
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=103692\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Phase backs using a small pin on the rear of the Hasselblad V cameras for wake up. This pin is not available on other cameras.

Gary Yeowell

« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2007, 05:44:55 am »

Gary,

How seamless is this set-up? Does it require extra cables and do-dads to work? I'd love to go back to shooting with a 503 but it seemed like a hack to get it to work.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=103637\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Bob,

As others have replied, it is completely seemless once you have a small cable attached from lens to back. At first i really thought it was going to be an issue, however after using it for a day or two i completely accepted it and it bothers me not one jot. In all the time of use i have never had any kind of failure with the cable connection or for that matter the back itself. The 'P' backs with their simplistic approach in only having 4 buttons integrate well with the 'V' Blad which in itself is both simple and logical. If menus, buttons, dials, etc are not your thing and all you want to do is set a shutter speed and aperture on a lens then it could well be a marraige made in ??

Gary.

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2007, 07:12:56 am »

Bob,

As others have replied, it is completely seemless once you have a small cable attached from lens to back. At first i really thought it was going to be an issue, however after using it for a day or two i completely accepted it and it bothers me not one jot. In all the time of use i have never had any kind of failure with the cable connection or for that matter the back itself. The 'P' backs with their simplistic approach in only having 4 buttons integrate well with the 'V' Blad which in itself is both simple and logical. If menus, buttons, dials, etc are not your thing and all you want to do is set a shutter speed and aperture on a lens then it could well be a marraige made in ??

Gary.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=103711\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The border of Sweden and Denmark perhaps?

Gary Yeowell

« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2007, 07:17:53 am »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=103721\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Exactly!

Tomas Johanson

« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2007, 08:28:49 am »

[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

And there we have to choose between the ferries or the bridge

[a href=\"http://www.bridgephoto.dk/search/details.php?id=1804]http://www.bridgephoto.dk/search/details.php?id=1804[/url]

ngophotographer

« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2007, 03:48:09 pm »

Hi William:

I use a P45 with a 501CM.  I love it!  It works quite well for the landscape work I do.

I use a Metz sync cable (5548) instead of the Phase One cable, because it is shorter and less bulky.  I don't even notice it when working.  It works with well with CF and CFi lenses.

I have gotten a few misfires where the back/flash sync/cable didn't sync correctly for a shot, but it mostly has been at 32 degrees F or lower, with the Metz cable.

I have not used flash, but according to the manual (which you can download from PhaseOne.com), the flash/strobe/PW sync cable attaches to the back not to the camera.

If you use your 503CW with TTL-flash, I'm not sure if there are any problems.  You may want to contact Phase One via e-mail.  In addition, manual states that the reflectivity of the CCD is different and provides a factor but that was in the Contax section.

I can get 2-4GB cards (~196 shots) worth of shots out of one battery and that is at 28-40 degrees F!  I'm sure the life is better at 70 degrees F and above  

It's a great tool!  It feels like you're shooting your favorite Hasselbald-- I love the size, feel, waistlevel finder, etc.  The instant feedback, highlight check, histogram is great!

Good luck on your decision.  Its a lot of fun and works very well!

Rich
NGOphotographer

mkravit

« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2007, 04:04:20 pm »

Excellent information contained withing the responses. One item that I think Willam should consider is vertical framing. I can see how this might be a bit annoying with the waist level finder.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2007, 04:04:56 pm by mkravit »

Mark_Tucker

« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2007, 04:26:54 pm »

Hello all, my name is William Rennaker. I am a lifestyle photographer in Nassau, Bahamas.

I shoot the P45 on the Contax. I do Lifestyle and Portrait. While I love the lack of crop factor of the P45 compared to the P30, I am finding the P45 slightly too slow for Lifestyle work. I am attempting to switch to the P30 when the Plus version arrives. (I bought the Plus, but have the Non-Plus as a loaner). Also, shooting tethered, the recycle rate slows down even further, compared to shooting to Extreme IV cards. That might not affect you but it does me, with advertising work, when tethered is required. Also, I find the Input Profiles for the P30 to be far superior to the P45 profiles; the P30 skin tone is amazing, right out of the box. The P45 can tend toward red, and for me, required a custom profile to pull red.

As far as Hasselblad or Contax, no difference. Both great cameras. Although, I'd not want that cable to fool with, or become unplugged. The Contax is a joy to use. (I hated the H too, and sold my whole system.) The Contax is effortless; they can be found most anywhere with some searching, even brand new.

Good luck in your search. Try to TEST both back before committing, in YOUR STYLE of shooting, in real world conditions. Do not take anyone's advice, (especially mine).

MT, http://www.marktucker.com
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up